Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Guitarist all time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me, toss-up between Hendrix and Al DeMeola.

Comment

Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
      lazy is kinda asking 2 questions here...
      1.Top Guitarist all time
      2.Who are the all time greats?

I would answer like this...
      1. Top Guitarist all time.` This is a hard question to answer, because of all the different genre's of music, and the guitar players ability-agility-creativity-technicality to play that genre of music.
      That and i think it would be a matter of ones own opinion. There are so many musicians that aren't big names, are never even heard of, but are so very talented and gifted.
      ------
      2. Who are the all time greats?` I think this question points more to the people who have made big names in the music industry, but not just in name, but in talent, while still setting the bar for creativity and all the above mentioned traits for influence for the next generation of musicians. This too, i think is up for grabs in the opinion dept.

I could make a list, but there are genre's that i don't care for, but are greats in their own right.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
      So basically what you are saying is....nothing?

Comment

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned Slava Grigorian.

Comment

YouTube is full.of brilliant guitarists who will never get recognition because they don't have a great songwriter behind them which means they will basically remain covers players. Satriani is an exception to that rule.

https://youtu.be/9ZFs20Wc0MA

https://youtu.be/O0BkQLv1-cc

https://youtu.be/CLJHX5yaumA

Comment

I don't know why Jeff Beck seems to be always forgotten in this category...but after watching this documentary I realized how much he is universally recognized by all the others mentioned in this thread as being way above them all. I recommend watching this documentary if you like guitarists and I can guarantee your opinion will be changed as to who is the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGvf8z3Em4g

This is just the trailer (won't embed) but you can search for the full doc on your favourite streaming site.

Comment

Originally posted by jazluvr View Post
              For me, toss-up between Hendrix and Al DeMeola.
              Originally posted by Rockybigblower View Post
              So basically what you are saying is....nothing?
              I didn't see the date of op...lol. My 1st post is more conjecture than opinion. I state that there are too many variables to determine a "superior" musician" that has nearly mastered the art of playing their instrument. I go on to say that it might be impossible to answer.

Then i saw the old thread (didn't realize the date and I already posted) revived and stated my opinion. Very observant of you, though, meant as a compliment.

Comment

Originally posted by K-DOGG View Post
                Personal vote is for Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I used to claim Jimi Hendrix; but then I realized.....Hendrix was no mere guitar player. He was a force of nature. There is Hendrix...and then there is daylight.

So, bringing it down to "guitar players", my vote is for Vaughn; but I am admittedly partial to the Blues.
                Yeah Hendix was a genius uses the guitar as his medium. He wasn't just a player.

Comment

Lonnie Johnson
                  Tampa Red
                  Scrapper Blackwell
                  Robert Johnson
                  Buddy Guy
                  Lightnin' Hopkins
                  Albert Collins
                  Albert King
                  Jimi Hendrix
                  Eric Clapton
                  Derek Trucks

Comment

Personally, I'm a Hendrix fan...love Stevie Ray Vaughn, as well; but have to remember names like Roy Clark, as well. Someone actually asked Hendrix what it was like to be the world's greatest guitarist, to which he responded, "You'll have to ask Roy Clark". High praise.

There are many, many great guitarists and an amalgam of styles.

Comment

• ... I can't quote posts on this thread...

... but OK...

… “I think this question points more to the people who have made big names in the music industry, but not just in name, but in talent, while still setting the bar for creativity and all the above mentioned traits for influence for the next generation of musicians. This too, i think is up for grabs in the opinion dept.”

So, for me:
                      ... Django Reinhardt, Charlie Christian, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Byrd…
                      … BB King, Mike Bloomfield, Hendrix, Clapton, Santana… Robert Fripp, John McLaughlin … Mark Knopfler, Andy Summers, Johnny Marr etc...

Later edit: I forgot about Adrian Utley (Portishead)...

Later, later edit: I also forgot about Frank Zappa, Peter Green, Rory Gallagher … Robby Krieger (The Doors)…
                      Last edited by MDPopescu; 03-09-2020, 07:59 AM. Reason: mistake

Comment

Working...
                      X