No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Canelo: DAZN Didn't Pressure Me To Take Golovkin Fight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they know that Canelo is on a mission to make big fights

the most productive input they could muster... would be to STFU, and stand aside... Canelo obviously does not need any "help"

DAZN... sitting back with their feet up, letting Canelo do all the work

Skipper: working up the nerve to confront Canelo about fighting Golovkin:

" ok Canelo, what I wanted to talk to you about was....

... huh, whats that?... you want to fight Kovalev... ???

erm... you obviously don't mean Sergey Kovalev... right... ?

really?... wtf... ?

umm... ok, well... please let us know if we can do anything to help

umm... Canelo, just to confirm once more... you do mean SERGEY Kovalev... the LHW, right...?

... oh, right... o, k, then
    "

Canelo leaves the meeting:

a dazed Skipper rushes down the hall and calls out:

" we loooove you Canelo "

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
      Could have fooled me. Initially they would only sign off on a Kovalev or Golovkin fight. I think that's sending a message. If the field is narrowed down to only two fighters I'd say he's being pressured to fight either man. Golovkin is one of those guys. Canelo is spinning this which is not unusaual. Most fighters would do the same to save face.
      This is a really interesting situation. DAZN shot themselves in the foot when Canelo refused to budge from his original position -- even to the point of Canelo skipping the lucrative September 16 weekend date which would have generated more subscriptions than Mungia was able to generate. Canelo's folks were wanting to negotiate with Andrade for September 16, but DAZN would not stream that fight nor any fight with anyone but Golovkin and Kovalev. That was modified to approve a Canelo vs. Derevyanchenko fight but by then the financial damage had been done. This was a wakeup call for DAZN and a come to Jesus moment for Oscar De La Hoya and his "stellar" crew who made a complete fool of themselves during this process. DAZN did not cover itself with glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Sosay View Post
        You do know that GGG has ducked everyone that you mentioned right? Charlo,BJS, Andrade and Devy have been calling for a fight against GGG to earn a Nelo fight. He wasted two fights Rolls and Vanes to avoid those guys as well.

this shlt gets RIDICULOUS !!

this could even be worse than the pac-era

Comment

Originally posted by jinx_htx View Post
          Does anyone even care about Canelo fighting Kovalev? If Canelo wins it proves nothing except that Kov is old and way past his prime. If Canelo loses he can just use the excuse he went too far up in weight.

If Canelo beats Kovalev and the low numbers come in from that fight I'm sure dazn will be putting tremendous pressure on partyboy Dela Hoya to crack the whip on his boy Canelo to get in line and follow his master's orders.
          A lot of folks are warming up to the Kovalev fight. It will sell. As for Oscar, he is a hired hand and in is no way Canelo's boss or Master as you put it. Top promoters are salivating at the prospect that Canelo will ditch Oscar and his Golden Boy Promotions. Canelo has learned that at his level he is the one who generates the revenue and not the promoter or DAZN.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
            I said initially they only approved two fighters that he could fight. Is that not pressure? I will answer for you. Yes it's pressure. They later added to the list but for Canelo to say they didn't pressure him is BS. He's already making comments that he might fight Golovkin again for fianancial reasons after saying he has no interest in fighting him ever again. I just can't recall exactly if it was after Derevyanchenko and Golovkin or before. I'm pretty sure his change of where he stands was after the fight.
            I watched that interview with Canelo and this is where the language barrier comes into play. Canelo's response was that he was not directly negotiating with DAZN. DAZN was negotiating with others on his team so he did not personally feel pressured, but it is a bit of a dodge by Canelo. Because DAZN was pressuring his team and particularly Oscar to fight GGG.

Comment

Originally posted by alexjust View Post
              I have to say I'm struggling to rationalize the reasons Canelo has become the biggest diva in boxing who commands everything and everyone. He is an excellent fighter - yes, but so are many more in and outside of his divisions. Personality? My shoe laces have more charisma than he does. Not speaking English has nothing to do with it (btw, he could give it a shot at learning the language really or is he too afraid his image would suffer is he doesn't speak English as well as he fights? Insecure). You guys should stop buying into this A-side nonsense, its an illusion created by fans, believed in by the fans and can also be dispelled by the fans.
              "....stop buying into this A-side nonsense, its an illusion created by fans, believed in by the fans and can also be dispelled by the fans." It is the fans and only the fans that determine how much clout a fighter has. Contrary to the musings of the press and fanboys, Canelo's clout is real. Any fighter who can get 50,000 people to show when he is fighting ordinary opponents has clout. Everything else noise or as Shakespeare put it is, "sound and fury signifying nothing."

Comment

Originally posted by aboutfkntime View Post
                Golovkin
                Golovkin
                Fielding
                Jacobs
                Kovalev

name 1 active fighter with a run even close to that

oh, and the active fighter you name must have red hair
                Are you asking me to name you a fighter who would lose to a dominant force in the division in their first fight, at best "drawed" in the second, beat up one of the weakest champs ever, narrowly outpointed a fighter GGG already beat and name you a figher who is about to fight a past his prime, 1-3 fights away from retirement champion? I don't think I can name anyone like this.

But a name came to mind. Joshua, for example, did not give up the belt to avoid fighting Wilder while Wilder is still in his prime. Joshua's strategy is not to wait for fighters to age. Diva does that and he is, in fact, the best at it from what I can see on the boxing chess board. So...what was the point you were trying to make?

Comment

Are you asking me to name you a fighter who would lose to a dominant force in the division in their first fight, at best "drawed" in the second, beat up one of the weakest champs ever, narrowly outpointed a fighter GGG already beat and name you a figher who is about to fight a past his prime, 1-3 fights away from retirement champion? I don't think I can name anyone like this.

But a name came to mind. Joshua, for example, did not give up the belt to avoid fighting Wilder while Wilder is still in his prime. Joshua's strategy is not to wait for fighters to age. Diva does that and he is, in fact, the best at it from what I can see on the boxing chess board. So...what was the point you were trying to make?

1) Canelo fought the top 4 JMW's CONSECUTIVELY !!

2) Canelo had 3x fights at 160... beating the 2 top middleweights

3) Canelo is currently working his way through 168-175 as we speak

Canelo is everything that you clowns thought Golovkin would be ...

... and so, you cry

Comment

Originally posted by Verus View Post
                    "....stop buying into this A-side nonsense, its an illusion created by fans, believed in by the fans and can also be dispelled by the fans." It is the fans and only the fans that determine how much clout a fighter has. Contrary to the musings of the press and fanboys, Canelo's clout is real. Any fighter who can get 50,000 people to show when he is fighting ordinary opponents has clout. Everything else noise or as Shakespeare put it is, "sound and fury signifying nothing."
                    Kardashian has 62m Twitter followers while Neil deGrasse Tyson has 13m (I'm even surprised its so high tbh). Numbers don't always reflect the genuine, substantive value. What is the point about the "clout" that you are trying to make?

Note that I did not dispute the existence of his popularity, I mused as to the reasons for him having one.

N.B. I'll remain unconvinced over the appropriateness of using the word "clout" in this context although I get where you are coming from.

Comment

DAZN... sitting back with their feet up, letting Canelo do all the work

Skipper: working up the nerve to confront Canelo about fighting Golovkin:

" ok Canelo, what I wanted to talk to you about was....

... huh, whats that?... you want to fight Kovalev... ???

erm... you obviously don't mean Sergey Kovalev... right... ?

really?... wtf... ?

umm... ok, well... please let us know if we can do anything to help

umm... Canelo, just to confirm once more... you do mean SERGEY Kovalev... the LHW, right...?

... oh, right... o, k, then
                      "

Canelo leaves the meeting:

a dazed Skipper rushes down the hall and calls out:

" we loooove you Canelo "

Comment

Working...
                      X