No announcement yet.

Boxers who fought against great odds

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxers who fought against great odds

Reading various articles and books on old-time fighters, I often come across stories of how many of them had to overcome some long odds leading up to a big fight. I'm not talking about injuries sustained during a fight, mostly circumstances that made their fight much more challenging. Here are a few, I'll post more as I find them. Feel free to add any you may know of as well.

Tiger Jack Fox was defeated by Melio Bettina in his only crack at the light heavyweight championship, NYSAC version. In this elimination bout to name a champion, Fox was stopped in the 9th round. Two months before the fight he was stabbed near the heart in a Harlem hotel in a dispute over a woman.

=================================

As with many great match-ups, controversy surrounded Moore vs. Burley. In this fight, however, the only controversy surrounding the bout revolved around what happened before the bout took place. Indeed, on the day of the fight, it has been generally accepted by many noted sources that Burley, who had moved west just like Moore, was actually in San Diego working in an aircraft factory, and was over 100 miles away from Hollywood just hours before the fight. Burley reportedly got a call at the factory mentioning that Moore’s scheduled opponent had fallen out, and they were looking for a substitute. Burley then packed his gear, took a bus to Hollywood, wrapped his hands, and got in the ring.

Other sources claim Burley knew about the bout two weeks prior to 4/21/44, and was actually in Hollywood with ample notice. Moreover, much to the chagrin of Moore, some later claimed Burley, who was known by many to be God-fearing and humble, was actually up late the night before the bout, drinking whiskey and playing cards. It is also noted that Burley really didn’t train hard for the Moore bout because he knew he would win regardless of pre-fight preparation. All told, to this day, we may never know the full truth regarding what happened prior to the bout, but we do know what occurred once the two combatants stepped into the ring.

In 1964, Cleveland Williams was shot by a police officer and critically wounded. Williams was shot with a .357 Magnum in the abdomen, barely survived, and suffered permanent kidney damage, a loss of over 10 feet of his small intestine, and nerve damage from the bullet, which affected his left leg above the knee and caused it to atrophy as a result. He was never the same fighter after that.

In 1986, boxer Bryant Brannon was shot 6 times and left for dead. Ten years later he would fight Roy Jones for a title shot. In 2000, the same guy who initially shot him (had only served ten years), shot him twice more. He survived that shooting also.

Vinny Pazienza coming back after a broken neck.

Langford, Greb and Flowers all fought blind in one eye for a good portion of their careers.

Mike Tyson...spinal.
    Manny....salt water shoulder.

Comment

I forget which fighter it was, that Cameron Dunkin used to manage who was legally blind in one eye and had his twin brother step in for the vision tests to get cleared to fight for several years.

Comment

--- Ron Lyle carved up like a Christmas turkey in a prison gang attack that left him on deaths door would go on to savage Ali before being pulled up by the ref when he ropadoped Ali.

Then the all time slugfest vs Foreman always had my admiration for overcoming adversity.

He'll, gene Tunney overcoming a soft middle class upbringing was a helluva a lot to overcome just to be a fighter much less a great.

Tens of thousands such stories.

Comment

Nel Tarleton was left with only one working lung, after contracting TB at the age of 2.

Howard Winstone lost the tips of three fingers on his right hand in a factory accident.
          Last edited by Bundana; 02-13-2019, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Danny Williams dislocated shoulder
            Ditto George Groves.
            David Haye broken toe.

Comment

Damn wtf did Bryant Brannon do to that guy who shot him 8 times a decade apart I wonder.

I remember that cat. Remember seeing his pro debut on USA or ESPN back in the day & was instantly impressed by him & a fan. Not many cats I was a fan of not knowing them pre-pro debut but he was one of them. Abner Mares was another.

Comment

Originally posted by rockybigblower View Post
                david haye broken toe.
                lolololololololol

Comment

--- C'mon guys, it was his pinky toe, not just any toe, and his pinkie had a broken back with lower bowel perforations.

Not to mention the hangnail not to mention always getting picked on by bigger toes.

Sheesh!

Comment

There was a French fighter who had his jaw shot of in the trenches in ww1. He had it rebuild and fought after the war. Unfortunately I cannot remember his name, but his picture was in Harry Carpenters book of boxing history.

Comment

Working...
                    X