Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name 3 Boxers from the past that you are 100% certain that could beat Sonny Liston

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Larry Holmes is my safest bet by far, he would school Liston I think.

After that, maybe Bowe and then Foreman.

I can see Lennox and Wlad sticking those ramrod jabs at him too, but there's always that chin issue.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
      I think we all know Liston beats Marshall 9 times out of 10.
      Of course. Also a younger Liston would never lose to Leotis Martin. But pertaining to the thread topic, I am 100% certain that they could beat Sonny Liston. There is indisputable proof.

Comment

"from the past' ..... meaning before Liston? That's my take on this question am
        I incorrect?

Comment

Double post
          Last edited by jackgalveston; 09-22-2014, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Lol @ Scott: impeccable logic.

I would agree with Holmes, Louis and Foreman and I'll toss in a wildcard. I also agree with the poster who said earlier that he ain't 100% about any fantasy fight, but I feel my wildcard deserves mention.

I think Dempsey would give Liston pure hell with his aggression, speed and two-fisted power. I know that the book on neutralizing a swarmer begins with a jab and Sonny's was a vicious piston. I still think Jack's speed and the crouch would give Sonny issues.

At worst, we get Liston-Williams III...

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              "from the past' ..... meaning before Liston? That's my take on this question am
              I incorrect?
              I took it as anyone from the past that isn't currently fighting.. The thread is vague so not sure

Comment

Originally posted by Sugar Adam Ali View Post
                I took it as anyone from the past that isn't currently fighting.. The thread is vague so not sure
                Anyone in the past not just before Liston.

Comment

Its not that another ATG couldn't beat Liston.... Its just that Liston was so well rounded that there is no obvious place for a "styles make fights" analysis. I mean he had a great jab, moved well, had power, great whiskers....

Keep in mind that Liston was integral to George Foreman's willy ways, not sure if Big George had enough to take his Maestro at their relative best. I don't think Holmes would last the distance with Liston. Holmes occasionally got tagged by big punchers (Shavers, etc) and Liston was a frighteningly good finisher.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushid***333; View Post
                    And you can't choose Ali.

Sonny Listen's had a very impressive run all the way up to Patterson. I don't think he was in his prime anymore when he got to PAtterson but he pretty much beat everyone that was ranked during his time.

So lets hear it.
                    100%
                    Foreman and Frazier take him out and make him look bad

60-40 in favour of someone like Holyfield, who would take Liston out into deep waters and make him pay if Liston didn't manage to swim. Holmes and Lewis, cos of their size and jabs would have a good chance too.

Comment

My choices are prior to Liston's career start.
                      The wording is confusing.
                      Either way the fantasy fights probably need a rest, it gets boring after a while.

Comment

Working...
                      X