No announcement yet.

A brief chronology of lineal heavyweight champions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
    The lineal championship was reestablished in 2004 when Vitali knocked out Corrie Sanders.
    Really? Show me.

http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/achamp.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ns#Heavyweight

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
      CBZ recognizes Klittschko vs. Chagaev as filling the vacancy. It was Ring #1 vs. #3, so I was against the decision at the time, although once DLH bought Ring, the Ring ratings didn't really matter anymore anyway.

CBZ doesn't recognize Fury as lineal anymore, but Ring does. This is the problem with unofficial championships, there will always be confusion.
      Well, I would only recognise a lineal champion where there’s a consensus, like you said

I would say Wlad achieved such a consensus after beating Povetkin

Comment

Putting such high value on a word " Lineal " is stupid and for oblivious ppl .

What matters is fighters relevance at the time you fight them not what year , that could work in bizarro world but not the real one .

The man to beat is the one defeating the better current competition , you cant place a higher relevance to a guy that comes back like Fury 3 years later for instance and claim hes the man .

Unless you're an idiot ,would you say Vitali is the man to beat if he came back ! lol

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post
          Well, I would only recognise a lineal champion where there’s a consensus, like you said

The most recognized outlets point to Wladimir vs Chagaev. Some could argue Wlad vs Haye or Wlad vs Povetkin. But no matter how you slice it, everyone knows Vitali was the best in the world, so for me I would have preferred that lineal remain vacant if the Klitschkos refused to fight each other.

Also, personally, I don't see how you can really start new lineage without an undisputed champion. I know most simply say 1 vs 2, but you don't always have a consensus on that, and requiring an undisputed champion to start new lineage would eliminate all doubts.

Comment

It's pretty great when a guy can disappear for 2 years while doing coke, getting popped for steroids, and go crazy but people still wanna recognize him as some kind of titlest.. fk that, he doesn't deserve to be anything. Lineal titles don't mean ****...

Comment

Originally posted by Jsmooth9876 View Post
              It's pretty great when a guy can disappear for 2 years while doing coke, getting popped for steroids, and go crazy but people still wanna recognize him as some kind of titlest.. fk that, he doesn't deserve to be anything. Lineal titles don't mean ****...
              It's certainly one of the flaws of the lineal title. Everyone is free to decide for themselves how much something does or doesn't mean.

Nobody recognized Fury as a titlist. Most, including Ring magazine, recognize him as the lineal heavyweight champion of the world.

Comment

Fury ain't no champion till he beat Lewis!

Comment

Originally posted by techliam View Post

yes the consensus was that he was a dirty cheat who clinched 187 times

Comment

http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/The_Ring_Magazine%27s_Annual_Ratings:_2004

Consider you shown

Comment

I've been a big supporter of WILDER as you know but this fight isn't for the lineal championship because Joshua's not represented in the fight. Fury has simply been too inactive to claim to retain that title. But neither is Anthony Joshua the lineal champion until he deals with this Wilder side b/c Wilder has emerged at the same time as Joshua and that's just a fact.

Comment

Working...
                      X