Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fighting an unorthodox, fast southpaw.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting an unorthodox, fast southpaw.

Alright....tomorrow I'm gonna spar with this dude. I've sparred with him before but he's just awkward as hell. He's a southpaw who has a really quick jab and bounces all over the place. Dude is just awkward man, it was real frustrating last time...how would you deal with really awkward southpaws?

i may b able 2 gve u a few good pointers since im a southpaw myself.. im sure he is not naturally left handed but he puts his best hand forward which is his right (he can probaly throw his jab from any angle as well as his over hand right). my advice 2 u wuld 2 circle 2 the outside of his jab. if he is a strong counter puncher which he probaly is make him lead, so u shuld feint and make him throw. his left is probaly his weaker hand so dont b afraid of his left. throw punches in bunches and make him move 2 ur right that shuld throw off his rythm and leav him uncomfortable and open for a shot.

Comment

Yeah, he's got a strong jab. And you're on point with him being a good counter puncher...I'm definitely gonna take your advice dude, thanks.

Comment

Keep your left foot outside his right, look for the right hand down the middle, and take away his right jab by hooking over it, and even spinning out with that hook, and following up with another attack. Also slip his right jab and throw your right at the same time, to either the head or body, very effective. Keep feinting too, try and make him take the back foot, and pick him apart with hooks over the jab, and others counters to his jab

Comment

I also forgot to mention he did Taekwondo till he was 15, and started boxing at 16. He's 23 now but he still has some habits from Taekwondo, so it makes him that much more awkward....dude just fights wierd as hell. I really appreciate the feedback though, I'm definintely gonna the advice.

Comment

I hate those fast moving south paws, you gonna get hit regardless, make it a brawl, cut the ring when in range move your head to slip his jab, get inside and bang the body.

Comment

I can fight both ways, but to work a southpaw best you can try a few things.

For starters, try jabbing over or imbetween his.
              Throw lead rights to off set him.
              Move to your left. If you move to your right, you're asking to eat his lead left.
              When he jabs, he is available for a counter hook.

One of my favorite punches, is a lead right to the stomache. This will slow them down.

Comment

Working...
              X