Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Hindsight, Should Kovalev have avoided Andre Ward?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No cause we all know he won fight 1 so they are even in my eyes

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      I watched and enjoyed Sergey Kovalev's tremendous accent to the top of the LHW division. Kovalev was an absolute destroyer as he KO'd most of his opponents and developed an 'air of invisibility' like that of a young Mike Tyson. Kovalev was also a real 'bad a.ss' as he seemed to enjoy dishing out punishment to his opponents.

Then came Andre Ward. Before they fought, my gut told me that Ward would win via decision and that's exactly what he did.

In hindsight, was facing a prime Andre Ward the smartest career move for Sergey Kovalev? Perhaps, he could've faced Stevenson, Beterbeiv or some of the other top guys at LHW.

Right now, that 'air of invisibility' is long gone and Kovalev is not the draw that he once was, pre Ward.

In hindsight, if you were Kovalev's promoter, would you have still made the Ward fight? What could have been done differently?
      NO!!!!!!!Taking on the best is never bad.Now some meatheads on here will bash him now that he lost but he will always have my respect and also of any REAL boxing fan.Plus with his style if he can overcome the mental part and win he will be just as big(if not bigger)Ward needed to win evertime to be a star Kov just needs to get back where he was holding a belt or 2 and with his power people will always tune in.imo

Comment

Kovalev was a world champion and a true champion fights the best available challengers if a fair money offer is made. Kovalev was a true champion and not a pretend champion who avoids fighting their toughest challengers the way Cotto and Martinez avoided fighting GGG. Kovalev welcomed the challenge of top challenger Ward. I would have been disappointed in him if he had turned Ward's challenge down. Money is important but boxers have a lot of pride in their boxing. If Kovalev ducked Ward he would have to live with that and boxing fans would also remember it.

Comment

The only think Kovalev could have done differently would be to try to get judges and a ref from neutral counties. It might not have worked but it would have been worth a try.

Comment

Yes & No

Yes, cause he got robbed on the 1st fight decision and got his azz handed to him in the 2nd bout.
            If he played it like Stevenson at least he'd still have his belts.

No, because we all want to see the best against the best and he & Ward gave it to us. Regardless of the 1st bout's bad judging, I give Ward all the credit in the world for giving Kov that rematch ASAP. Nobody on NSB can deny that one.

Comment

Sergey Kovalev (like most foreign boxers boxing against the A side local US boxer) should and should've avoided bouts in USA where they are likely to get robbed or already have been robbed. Instead, if they are the more proven boxer in the division the bout is taking place in and if they are the champion, they should opt for the bout to take place in a neutral arena / venue in a neutral country.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
                I watched and enjoyed Sergey Kovalev's tremendous accent to the top of the LHW division. Kovalev was an absolute destroyer as he KO'd most of his opponents and developed an 'air of invisibility' like that of a young Mike Tyson. Kovalev was also a real 'bad a.ss' as he seemed to enjoy dishing out punishment to his opponents.

Then came Andre Ward. Before they fought, my gut told me that Ward would win via decision and that's exactly what he did.

In hindsight, was facing a prime Andre Ward the smartest career move for Sergey Kovalev? Perhaps, he could've faced Stevenson, Beterbeiv or some of the other top guys at LHW.

Right now, that 'air of invisibility' is long gone and Kovalev is not the draw that he once was, pre Ward.

In hindsight, if you were Kovalev's promoter, would you have still made the Ward fight? What could have been done differently?
                I would have avoided him like the plague. He wouldn't even have been accused of ducking because Ward, despite his success, isn't premium PPV material and not a must-see fighter. Some styles and fighters are just so awkward and frustrating it's not worth the risk. Pretty much like Pavlik fighting Hopkins. There was no demand or need for that fight.

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx. View Post
                  I think the entire issue is Kovalev,he started believing his own hype and stopped listening to the person who helped get him there
                  I agree. The biggest blunder he made was thinking he was infallible. I don't know if he had some kind of contract with Jackson or he actually liked Jackson but wouldn't listen to him. Whatever the reason he should have parted company with him. He once said something like he just went to the gym to use the facilities and he pretty much trains himself. Jackson screwed up yes but Kovalev was his own worst enemy.

Comment

In lieu of his most recent KO loss, I think Kovalev should have avoided Andre Ward.

Comment

Originally posted by mlac View Post
                      Yes he should of avoided the robbery in the first fight when we all know Kovalev won ?
                      No, we don't. First fight was close and could have gone either way..

Comment

Working...
                      X