• Show
Clear All

• ARE U PEOPLE STILL ARGUING THIS ???
    A STUDY HAS ALREADY BEEN DONE !
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills
    boxing and ice hockey

Comment

• Originally posted by SCtrojansbaby View Post
      LOL ever hear of ultra marathons that shyt is 100x more grueling then any cycling
      I must admit I hadn't.
      I just checked wikipedia and they say the common distances are 50 miles or 100 miles....that is some SERIOUS running!

Still, I think my chances of finishing 100 miles are much higher then riding 2200 miles up and down mountains.

If I'm honest I would pass on both. Tour de France is no joke though.

Comment

• Boxing is the most demanding physical and mental sport. You don't rely on a team member and the action is all on you.

I practiced many sports and nothing is as demanding as boxing. All that training for one night of fighting that might take a toll of your future health.

A sport that you get hit so much on a twelve round fight I doubt there is anything more demanding from your body

Comment

• Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
          There you go.

I have said multiple times i don't know which requires more athleticism. I wouldn't put it beyond the realm of possibility that basketball requires more, no.
          So you truly believe Floyd Mayweather is in his prime despite Mayweather himself stating in interviews dating back to 2007, that his body is deteriorating and he's "noticed" things about himself slowing down....?

I agree with the other guys you listed. So here's the scroll of prime mid-thirties fighters we've compiled:

Martinez, *Wlad, *Mayweather, *Adamek, Froch, Cunningham, Kotelnyk.

That's a long list of athletic competitors compared to professional basketball.

Comment

• ENDURANCE: The ability to continue to perform a skill or action for long periods of time. Example: Lance Armstrong

STRENGTH: The ability to produce force. Example: NFL linebackers.

POWER: The ability to produce strength in the shortest possible time. Example: Barry Bonds.

SPEED: The ability to move quickly. Example: Marion Jones, Maurice Green.

AGILITY: The ability to change direction quickly. Example: Derek Jeter, Mia Hamm.

FLEXIBILITY: The ability to stretch the joints across a large range of motion. Example: Gymnasts, divers.

NERVE: The ability to overcome fear. Example: High-board divers, race-car drivers, ski jumpers.

DURABILITY: The ability to withstand physical punishment over a long period of time. Example: NBA/NHL
            players.

HAND-EYE COORDINATION: The ability to react quickly to sensory perception. Example: A hitter reacting to a breaking pitch; a drag racer timing acceleration to the green light.

ANALYTIC APTITUDE: The ability to evaluate and react appropriately to strategic situations. Example: Joe Montana reading a defense; basketball point guard on a fast break.

Boxing ranks the highest in most of those 'athletic' attributes than any other sport. In other words, boxers are usually the best all round athletes.

Comment

• http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/sportSkills

Comment

• Originally posted by PureBoxingCEO View Post
                Yes it is, Football, NBA, NFL, and many other athletes cant box for 12 rounds, thats a fact!
                Different things. Put a boxer to wrestle and he will gas soon in high intensive match. They are different and require different kind of endurance.

Boxing is a tough sport but so are many others. And they differ from each other. Some of them arent easily compared and there are sports that neither representative would do well in the other's sport

One thing for combat sports, you gotta be tough, not just by physical shape but in terms of taking punishment. Not many people can willingly take that

Comment

• Of all of the sports I have participated in, boxing and soccer were the most rigorous and physically challenging. Boxing was at the top though. While in the military, we had annual PT tests, and the highest scoring members were typically soccer players, boxers and basketball players.

When playing a team sport, you have other team members to help pick up the slack if you are having a bad day. There are time-outs, and there are ass loads of commercials breaks. There is offense and defense in football so you get to sit on the bench for half the game.

Cyclists are in great condition, but it doesn't provide all around athleticism. When Lance Armstrong ran a marathon he said it was more grueling for him than the Tour De France.

Comment

• Originally posted by RockyB View Post
                    Well, there is this to compare with:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/sportSkills
                    Interesting. Instinctively I would have said Gymnastics (which is up there in the top 10) or swimming (which is well down the list overall but scores real high on endurance)

Comment

• Basketball & American Football are the most athletic sports IMHO!

Comment

Working...
                      X