• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why manny pacquiao is a counter-punchers worst nightmare

maybe with the exception of ricky hatton
    counter-punchers eat the biggest shots from pacquiao
    obviously they also get in the nicest, flashiest shots
    but the counter punchers pay a stiff price(being pacquiao's straight left)

the floyd fans/haters are right in one retrospect that floyd's style will half pacquiao's output

but they also overrate how badly "boxers" make pacquiao look, esspecially considering they have all been knocked down and hurt in more than one occassion, my guess is to them, if pacquiao isn't throwing 1000 punches, he looks bad and is exposed

anyway,
    if your a pure counter-puncher, tho i doubt anyone is a "pure" counter--puncher, but my guess is if around 80% of your punches are counters you're considered pure, counter-punchers like floyd are special because even when forced to lead he will predominantly lead via feinting, which pretty much is a counter, sht, straying away from the topic

so..
    as a counter-puncher, the majority of the time you're looking for a counter, you're reflexes are peaked, you're focused, you're ready to counter

now the first reason for pacquiao being in counter-punchers dreams giving them nightmares is
    feinting(also roy jones' worst nightmare), the considered almost lost art in boxing is the best and most useful tactic to beating counter-punchers making them think you're going to throw, they react, but as the feinter stop suddenly, they can only stop their reaction after realising there is no punch coming towards them at all and at this point the feinted has his weight shifted foward, they will now be slower to move back/away, this gives the feinter the chance to land something

pacquiao demonstrates this on occasion vs marquez with shuffle steps which work very well and leaves steward a little suprised at how pacquiao manages to even land his straights because is it seemingly looks like he just lunges, tho not the case(this technique was almost non-existent vs mosley due to one of pacquiao's legs being a little messed up)

now the other reason pacquiao is a counter-punchers worst nightmare is combinations

now this is what makes you HAVE to move, if you stay in the pocket and counter, you could counter one shot, but you'll more than likely get caught by one of the others in the combination, if you throw your own combination and decide to get aggressive so to get pacquiao off of you, it's also a good way to getting yourself ko'd thanks to pacquiao's god given power and uncredited countering

pacquiao's boxing skills are underestimated because he likes to entertain which in turn calls for action but people dont seem to realise he becomes a completely different fighter in the face of counter-punchers, he will for one also become fairly tentative, throwing a jab with the intent to get the counter-punchers reaction and quickly lean/move back looking for counters of his own

no doubt i'll get people spamming about how marquez beat pacquiao's ass from pillar to post even though marquez's face was just as messed up if not more so and the scoring was highly subjective despite most people who scored it for marquez having some conspicuous ways of scoring(i.e stubbornly counting the first round as 10-7)

agreed?
    Last edited by SplitSecond; 05-09-2011, 04:22 PM.

Which one is worse, getting knocked 3 times or letting the guy who you knocked down comeback for a questionable decision?

Comment

Originally posted by PAC&PBFsuck View Post
      Which one is worse, getting knocked 3 times or letting the guy who you knocked down comeback for a questionable decision?
      that was a long time ago, i think most people will agree that he improved since the first marquez fight, but is pretty much peaked ever since the second

give me your scorecard for the second fight

the people that scored it for marquez watched it live and had that bar set too high for the improved pacquiao that was suppossed to ko marquez, watch it now, give me your scorecard

Comment

naw a counter puncher is mannys worse nightmare imo..cause he's so aggressive he leaves himself wide open with his chin in the air..if anyone dared to be great and puched in between his punches they may find success

Comment

Originally posted by LarryX2011 View Post
          naw a counter puncher is mannys worse nightmare imo..cause he's so aggressive he leaves himself wide open with his chin in the air..if anyone dared to be great and puched in between his punches they may find success
          then it's vice versa

Comment

Pac's hasnt had his greatest showings against counter punchers.

Can't see how he is a counter punchers worst nightmare to be honest.

Comment

agree, he gets frustrated and he starts swinging wildly and leaves himself open for counters

Comment

Originally posted by Blah! View Post
                that was a long time ago, i think most people will agree that he improved since the first marquez fight, but is pretty much peaked ever since the second

give me your scorecard for the second fight

the people that scored it for marquez watched it live and had that bar set too high for the improved pacquiao that was suppossed to ko marquez, watch it now, give me your scorecard
                Apparently you didn't watch the second fight because that fight was just as questionable as the first.

But to get to my point, how can you say that pac's style is a nightmare to counter puncher when barely won against the second best counter puncher in boxing and hasn't faced one since?

Comment

Manny does fient alot. He's not a stupid fighter like people think he is. Being the aggressive fighter all the time you are going to get hit more than a defensive fighter. That's kind of common sense. The point is Pacquiao is a different animal than Floyd is. Pacquiao truly could be an ATG. I understand you love Floyd's style and so do I. Most people have to understand that Floyd's career is kinda manufactured aswell. Alot of Floyd's fights were under perfect circumstances for himself. He fought alot of guys at the right time himself. Pacquiao's style is'nt the kind of style that Floyd would pick if he had to. Yes Floyd likes aggressive fighters but not like Manny.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                    Pac's hasnt had his greatest showings against counter punchers.

Can't see how he is a counter punchers worst nightmare to be honest.
                    feinting and combo's? i just explained it to you

Comment

Working...
                    X