Forum Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 01-22-2011, 03:28 PM #21
Days Of Glory

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,077.68
Total Points: 23,490.19
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockin' View Post
James and I would spar often as amatuers. As pros, after his title I only worked once with him. Honestly, when he was moving and juking I couldn't hit him with a hand full of rocks. But when he came inside I got the better of him there. I remember my trainer telling me "Don't you take a step backwards with this mother *****er" and I didn't. James was really good though.

As a pro I didn't stick around that long. I had a bunch of **** happen around this one fight and I just walked away. I fought at the Palace a few times, got on tv a few times but didn't follow it to the end. At times I regret not seeing how far I might have gone but at the same time I am glad because I am able to have conversations, and type and still function properly on a mental level. I wasn't one to shy away from a blow or a fight no matter who it was. In that time I threw fists with all kinds of good to great fighters. The only guy to really hand me my ass was Anthony Jones, he was slick. I got the best of it the first time we threw but like a year later we worked again and I dont even remember driving myself home. It was a good time doing it but the damage is irreversible and I just figured I could do something else. I loved it though.

I wrote about some stuff if you want to look it up. It was called A Rockin' story - in the clearing..............Rockin'
Image View Removed. Please Click Here.
Cool, hey not to many people can say they got the best of JT on the inside man! Thanks for sharin dude i will look it up
The Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:24 AM #22
Days Of Glory

The Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond reputeThe Surgeon has a reputation beyond repute
Happy 18th  Birthday, Braveheart - jreckoning Yes, Cheers Amigo! - anonymousboxing Thanks for your support - Massage Queen toasting the anglo-scottish alliance - mr.crust Cotto = The man - Animalistic 
Keep visiting the History Section man! - Barnburner To one of  the really good guys in the History section. - Terry A For my best boxing scene mate - BigStereotype Who the ***k is HALGER ????? - McGoorty I know how much the scottish love their flowers so I thought I'd be nice and get you one. - eli porter 
congrats on your first article for KO Digest - fitefanSHO Green :) - dancovboxer cheers - hhs661 CHEERS MATE !!! - BERNIE'S CORNER jaja! pa la victoria de cotto! - Sin City 
For Cotto! - 120 Cheers - typeone Happy New Year! - Scott9945 Cpngrats - typeone Merry Christmas! - TartanSoldier 
Autism - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - The Surgeon Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - The Surgeon 

Cuban HW Nino Valdes in London for a bout with one of Britain's HW contenders Joe Erskine in 1957 (He also beat Don ****ell, Dick Richardson and Brian London here) needed sparring partners. Nobody it seemed fancied the job against probably the most feared HW in the world who had a reputation of taking no prisoners in the gym. Tongan fighter Kit Lave got the call and agreed to sparring, Kit had felt aggrieved that after much publicity on his arrival to the country his high profile had not been maintained, somehow he needed to recapture the attention of the British press. Kit knew that Valdes training sessions would be well covered and this was his chance to let the press know he was still around and still a force. He planned mayhem and thats what he caused. From the start it was clear this wasnt sparring but full bloodied action from two big hitters, quite frankly it seems as tho it got completely out of hand and when the end of the first round was called it got even rougher as both fighters refused to stop fighting! Nino's handlers jumped into the ring to seperate them but to no avail.
Eventually two young HW's training in the gym managed to drag them apart and restore some order. It was Chaos but the press loved it and Lave achieved his goal, his name and picture was all over the sports pages again, one of the national papers did a big spread with the headline "Hammer and Tonga"

Oh and the two young HW's who split them were none other than Henry Cooper and his twin brother Jim

(Lave went on to stop Jim Cooper in 1960)
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 AM #23
! ! ! !

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
jabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond reputejabsRstiff has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,010.03
Total Points: 16,069.03

Robbie Peden supposedly was pummelling Diego Corrales while Chico was prepping for his fight with Freitas.
jabsRstiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:19 PM #24
#1 p4p ATG/GOAT

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
ghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond reputeghns1133 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,000.00
Total Points: 9,949.00
Some Green! - Barnburner on me - danny711 and a shot - danny711 actually theres beer inside - kyshenko team imagine it's Floyd when you stick it in - Freedom. 
heres your gift have fun - sugersean15 Boss lady aint shiit! - Uncle Howie for teh vids - ƒallenloki 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Surgeon View Post
Id give my right arm to have seen Liston and a young Foreman sparring, George must have impressed as i know Liston said this kid has one punch power, one punch Killing power!

I read in one of De la Hoya's books that Oscar and Mosley were young amatures called in to spar JC Chavez, Oscar apparently got the best of him and was never called back

Theres a video floating around of an older Duran sparring Nigel Benn, seems so calm and relaxed in with a puncher as tenacious as Benn

I heard Tua used to bash Holyfield up in sparring, Tyson prep i think.

[Link View Has Been Removed. Click Here To Unlock This Content.]
ghns1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 01:47 PM #25
Days Of Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghns1133 View Post
The Very One! Nice find
Old 08-30-2011, 02:35 PM #26
The king of Boxing Scene

sugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond reputesugersean15 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 9,944.00
Hilarious. - [KLTP] stream - rzagza turning green - MANIAC310 Great upload, lol - dancovboxer Keep you dry from the haters. - Kenny MF Powers 
You love it - rorymac this for u bro..MAYWEATHER MAFIA - Akhi No Message - hogwash All day! - Uncle Howie It's a brain - VEG 
Thanks - Terrel cheers bro! - Gotteskrieger For noticing Floyd drop his sparring partner in vid - BostonGuy 

tommy hearns sparring muhammed ali

sugersean15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 12:54 PM #27
Interim Champion

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Terry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond reputeTerry A has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 7,390.00
Start you off mate your first gift.. - The Gully Gad To one of boxingscenes best - JAB5239 Thanks for the boxing mags! - hunkysoupbone get well soon - NewYork For Quality posting and for being such a genuine dude! - The Surgeon 
Missed having you around, Have a beer pal - McGoorty A true historian. - Barnburner 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - BattlingNelson 

Quote:
Id give my right arm to have seen Liston and a young Foreman sparring, George must have impressed as i know Liston said this kid has one punch power, one punch Killing power!
Surgeon,
As I was reading thru this thread I thought of Liston vs Foreman in the gym & lo & behold, you wrote about it! Good call!

Although I wouldn't give up my right arm to have seen it, I do think that would have been one of the most intense "sparring" sessions that could have been witnessed. Two mean, powerful alpha-males filled with lots of "kill".
Terry A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:14 PM #28
Interim Champion

Greatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond reputeGreatest1942 has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,987.00
Knowledgeable Poster, keep the posts coming! - Barnburner Great trivia I really enjoyed - rorymac 

Quote:
Cuban HW Nino Valdes in London for a bout with one of Britain's HW contenders Joe Erskine in 1957 (He also beat Don ****ell, Dick Richardson and Brian London here) needed sparring partners. Nobody it seemed fancied the job against probably the most feared HW in the world who had a reputation of taking no prisoners in the gym. Tongan fighter Kit Lave got the call and agreed to sparring, Kit had felt aggrieved that after much publicity on his arrival to the country his high profile had not been maintained, somehow he needed to recapture the attention of the British press. Kit knew that Valdes training sessions would be well covered and this was his chance to let the press know he was still around and still a force. He planned mayhem and thats what he caused. From the start it was clear this wasnt sparring but full bloodied action from two big hitters, quite frankly it seems as tho it got completely out of hand and when the end of the first round was called it got even rougher as both fighters refused to stop fighting! Nino's handlers jumped into the ring to seperate them but to no avail.
Eventually two young HW's training in the gym managed to drag them apart and restore some order. It was Chaos but the press loved it and Lave achieved his goal, his name and picture was all over the sports pages again, one of the national papers did a big spread with the headline "Hammer and Tonga"

Oh and the two young HW's who split them were none other than Henry Cooper and his twin brother Jim

(Lave went on to stop Jim Cooper in 1960)
I will post some sparring stories of clay/Liston later when I have time
Greatest1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:47 PM #29
undisputed

Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
joseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond reputejoseph5620 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,355.59
Total Points: 32,297.70
a knowledgeable poster - Carnivore Great Poster! - Barnburner I would say you have the IQ of a rodent. But that would be an insult to the rodent.. - Unknown Champ quality posts - Stokely cheers mate - The Noose 
loves muhammad's c0ck - Weltschmerz 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - JAB5239 

Larry Holmes and Razor Ruddock sparred pretty hard.

Thomas Hearns and Mark Breland sparring

The late Genero Hernandez sparring young Shane Mosley.

I once read that Thomas Hearns sparred with Marlon Starling for the fight with Leonard and broke Starlings jaw.
joseph5620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:48 PM #30
Up and Comer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#1-Macdaddy has a reputation beyond repute#1-Macdaddy has a reputation beyond repute#1-Macdaddy has a reputation beyond repute#1-Macdaddy has a reputation beyond repute#1-Macdaddy has a reputation beyond repute#1-Macdaddy has a reputation beyond repute#1-Macdaddy has a reputation beyond repute#1-Macdaddy has a reputation beyond repute#1-Macdaddy has a reputation beyond repute#1-Macdaddy has a reputation beyond repute#1-Macdaddy has a reputation beyond repute
Total Points: 6,337.00

jesus heard about young casuis clay sparring with ingomar when ingo was the HW champ and clay made ingo look like a fool

he couldnt touch him

jesus loves you,

-jesus the #1macdaddy
#1-Macdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
sparring, stories