Collapse
No announcement yet.

California to decriminalize giving someone a fatal disease like HIV

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOLY S**T!] California to decriminalize giving someone a fatal disease like HIV

Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco) has written a bill removing the felony designation when someone intentionally has unprotected sex with someone without their knowledge. He says he wants to destigmatize HIV. How does he plan to do that? This bill certainly won’t. In fact it will probably backfire big time. If you have HIV or AIDS, you now don’t have to worry about a long prison stretch for giving your disease to others. The bill has passed the House and now will go to the Senate where it is expected to sail through.

In a test of shifting attitudes about HIV, a group of state lawmakers has proposed that it no longer be a felony for someone to knowingly expose others to the disease by engaging in unprotected sex and not telling the partner about the infection.

The measure by state Sen. Scott Wiener (D-San Francisco) and others would make such acts a misdemeanor, a proposal that has sparked opposition from Republican lawmakers.

The same downgrade in crime level would apply to people who donate blood or semen without telling the blood or semen bank that they have acquired immunodeficiency syndrome, or AIDS, or have tested positive for human immunodeficiency virus, or HIV, the precursor to AIDS.

“HIV-related stigma is one of our main obstacles to reducing and ultimately eliminating infections,” Wiener said. “When you criminalize HIV or stigmatize people who have HIV it encourages people not to get tested, to stay in the shadows, not to be open about their status, not to seek treatment.”

Currently, those convicted of felonies can be sentenced up to seven years in prison.

Between 1988 and June 2014, there were 357 convictions in California for an HIV-specific felony that would have been downgraded by SB 239, according to a study by the Williams Institute at the UCLA School of Law, which conducts research on sexual orientation and gender identity law and public policy.

http://dailyheadlines.net/2017/06/ca...fatal-disease/

Feelings over reality.

Liberalism 101.

Comment

Originally posted by 1bad65 View Post
      Feelings over reality.

Liberalism 101.
      You better be careful, they're going to Texas to turn it into a paradise just like Cali.

Remember Cali was just like Texas once, solidly Republican and conservative with the exceptions of L.A. and the Bay area.

Comment

That's horrible. So now women and dudes with HIV are gonna go around intentionally giving out their HIV with no repercussions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bygeorge View Post
          You better be careful, they're going to Texas to turn it into a paradise just like Cali.

Remember Cali was just like Texas once, solidly Republican and conservative with the exceptions of L.A. and the Bay area.
          It's a concern, yes. But based on recent elections, we're ok for a good while.

The Reps here (who in many cases lean Libertarian) are taking steps to guarantee rights so liberals cant easily take them.

For example, the State just legislated that the Uber/Lyft bans in liberal Texas cities are illegal.

Imo, if anyone goes after gun rights in Texas, they are toast. Gun rights is what flipped this State from a 'Southern Democrat' State to a solid Republican State.

That was Ann Richards' doing when she vetoed concealed-carry after the Luby's massacre.
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luby's_shooting

Comment

Can regular people sue regular people for giving you other diseases that are life long/life altering? If that's the case, & I thought it was, then this shouldn't be happening in the off chance you can prove it.

Proving it seems like the hard part doe. How does some girl prove she didn't get buttf#cked by some random HIV dude while dating some other dude with HIV? I mean its a unlikely scenario, but unless you can somehow ID specific types of HIV this person or that person has isn't there always some level of reasonable doubt about where one could have acquired it?

Comment

Doesnt make the least bit of sense.

I would understand downgrading unknowingly doing it.

I strongly suspect that this is one of those deals where a law was bought out by a campagin donor.

Comment

Feelings are more important than lives.

Comment

So Wiener thinks this will reduce the number of time people hide their HIV positive status from their partner? Hm I don't think that would work. But those quick to label this as "feelings over lives" are misrepresenting the purpose of the law.

Anyway this is much different than drug use, which would probably go down if it were decriminalized. Plus, it isn't a victimless crime like drug use. I would keep it as a felony.

Eff Pandas brings up a good point. I wonder how easy it even is to identify the source of the infection.
                  Last edited by BrometheusBob.; 06-05-2017, 04:32 PM.

Comment

Maybe because HIV isn't a fatal disease anymore. HIV is like having herpes. A STD that won't kill you but you'll have for the rest of your life. I would be interested to find out how many people have been convicted of this crime over the last 20 years. Probably not a lot.

Comment

Working...
                    X