No announcement yet.

Would Spence/Garcia play out Like Pryor/ Arguello

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
    I don't see this comparison. That may be more of Spence vs Crawford than this fight. Mikey isn't a guy who is going to move as much, nor is he a speedster like Taylor. I doubt he has much of a speed advantage vs Spence, if he even does at all.

Mikey is going to try to counter and turn Spence all fight. Will he be successful? I don't know, but it is highly doubtful.

If Mikey was more active and had as much dog in him that Duran had, then I could see that comparison (Hagler vs Duran), but that is really pushing it.

Either way, I am still excited to see how it plays out. Mikey is super skillful and has arguably the best fundamentals in the game. Spence isn't going to be able to load up against him and get away with it. Mikey is too good for that. Spence may at times want to prove he can box with Mikey and start countering him or just out jabbing him. Mikey REALLY wants this fight and it isn't one that he was forced to take or had no other option, so lets see what he sees in Spence that makes him so confident.
    Good post..Mikey's mentality will be important in this fight esp the first 3rds..He is going to have to show he can mix it up with Spence early..If not Spence will become a locomotive..

This is the first fight I can remember where Garcia was not the bigger puncher..Going to be interesting..

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
      Good post..Mikey's mentality will be important in this fight esp the first 3rds..He is going to have to show he can mix it up with Spence early..If not Spence will become a locomotive..

This is the first fight I can remember where Garcia was not the bigger puncher..Going to be interesting..
      Yep, the big problem I saw with this match up is that Mikey didn't have glaring physical advantages. The smaller guy moving up is usually more explosive and quicker than the bigger guy. But can you really say that in this case? Pacquiao against bigger fighters had his power carry over and had lightning speed/quickness that blinded opponents.

It's not impossible and plenty of old school fighters back in the day made the move from LW to WW successfully against the top guy, or elite WW.

Comment

If he does that fight next, I think it could be Duran vs Hearns unfortunately for Mikey. HUGE fan of both, Mikey is very high on my P4P I think he is one of the most complete fighters in boxing today. If he worked his way up correctly and took 1-2 fights at 147 first then I would pick Mikey Garcia to Out-Box Spence Jr. But that leap straight from 135 to 147 with only 5 months to prepare this is a AWFUL Career Move and I'm shocked Big G and Robert Garcia are OK with him doing it.

My hope is that Spence Jr vs winner of Garcia vs Porter happens in January or February instead, that is what I prefer and is probably what Spence Jr Prefers as well. While Mikey goes fully after Lomachenko regardless of what Arum says and try to force their hand to make that fight. If not Loma then maybe 1-2 fights at 147 then this time next year a shot at Spence Jr

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
          Yep, the big problem I saw with this match up is that Mikey didn't have glaring physical advantages. The smaller guy moving up is usually more explosive and quicker than the bigger guy. But can you really say that in this case? Pacquiao against bigger fighters had his power carry over and had lightning speed/quickness that blinded opponents.

It's not impossible and plenty of old school fighters back in the day made the move from LW to WW successfully against the top guy, or elite WW.
          Agreed,kudo's to Garcia if this happens,we are to find out about both fighters.Oneway or another..

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
            If he does that fight next, I think it could be Duran vs Hearns unfortunately for Mikey. HUGE fan of both, Mikey is very high on my P4P I think he is one of the most complete fighters in boxing today. If he worked his way up correctly and took 1-2 fights at 147 first then I would pick Mikey Garcia to Out-Box Spence Jr. But that leap straight from 135 to 147 with only 5 months to prepare this is a AWFUL Career Move and I'm shocked Big G and Robert Garcia are OK with him doing it.

My hope is that Spence Jr vs winner of Garcia vs Porter happens in January or February instead, that is what I prefer and is probably what Spence Jr Prefers as well. While Mikey goes fully after Lomachenko regardless of what Arum says and try to force their hand to make that fight. If not Loma then maybe 1-2 fights at 147 then this time next year a shot at Spence Jr
            Honestly I don't think Arum would ever allow Loma vs Gacia..I think he'd do everything in his power not to have that happen..

Comment

Originally posted by Rome-By-Ko View Post
              Honestly I don't think Arum would ever allow Loma vs Gacia..I think he'd do everything in his power not to have that happen..
              I think if the fans Press For It and he knows he can make a lot of money off of it I think he would do it. Loma running out of opponents as well who is he gonna fight next once he gets healthy and takes a tune up? The winner of Beltran vs Pedraza? neither are big fights!

Comment

Originally posted by sicko View Post
                I think if the fans Press For It and he knows he can make a lot of money off of it I think he would do it. Loma running out of opponents as well who is he gonna fight next once he gets healthy and takes a tune up? The winner of Beltran vs Pedraza? neither are big fights!
                True story..

Comment

Originally posted by larryxxx.. View Post
                  possibly, but could be Hagler-Duran as well
                  more like hearns vs duran...ha

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Mccowan View Post
                    more like hearns vs duran...ha
                    Naw Spence doesnt have that 1 punch ko power

Comment

No, it will resemble GGG/Brook. Mikey will get punished.

Comment

Working...
                      X