Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carl froch resume can't match joe calzaghe's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lol... Arguments, like this one, that make it seem like Calzaghe is one of the greatest fighters ever are precisely the reason I use resume as about 20% of my factoring when I consider the greatness of a fighter. It's all happenstance. It doesn't get much more one dimensional than a resume argument.

Comment

Froch could easily go on to win a rematch with Kessler, Dirrell, and give Tavoris Cloud his first loss before he retires.

A lot of fans wanted to see Calzaghe vs. Froch after Froch beat Jean Pascal. Froch called him out a lot. If it was an easy fight that Joe was confident of winning, he would've taken it. But his fears forced him into an early retirement even while Hopkins was still fighting on for years.

Comment

Originally posted by SergioMaravilla View Post
        Care to back up those facts? Take a look at this instead fanboy

"A teleconference was set up in my office in New York for July 30th, 2002, and on the call was myself, Don King who was in the room, Frank Warren and Bernard Hopkins' lawyer, Arnold Joseph. Along with Arnold was a woman named Linda Carter, who was there on behalf of Bernard. We asked Arnold if Bernard wanted to fight Joe Calzaghe and we asked him how much money would he want if he did. The response we got was $3million and the fight would have to take place in the United States. After a little scratching of the head, we said 'Okay, done.' Frank Warren agreed on the spot, Don King agreed and we agreed so as far as we were concerned all parties were singing off the one hymm sheet. Arnold excused himself with Linda and I can only assume it was to call Bernard. Either that day or the next day, they came with a new demand: $6million, double the sum that had been agreed, the deal blew up.....he had then and still has no desire to fight Joe Calzaghe, that much is pretty clear.

Joe gets criticised sometimes for not having fought the big-name Americans, but in this case the fault has never rested with him."

- Jay Larkin, then Showtime TV Network's Senior Vice-President of Sports and Event Programming.

As for Jones Jr,

http://youtu.be/xBHwB9_dJ9s?t=28m57s

http://youtu.be/QhSxpemf838?t=26m45s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1qeXpJlLNzs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=1jVrFZDxZS0

6:45 in. "For 2 years Calzaghe has chased pound for pound number one Roy Jones, but to no avail".

Then look at Jones own comments

Former four-division champion Roy Jones Jr, speaking with The Sunday Times, responded to Joe Calzaghe's recent claim of chasing Jones for several years and being brushed aside. Calzaghe spoke with The Sunday Mirror and appeared to have some newfound hostility when Jones' name came up.

"I spent five or six years chasing Jones and he acted like he never even knew my name," said Calzaghe. "Suddenly, I beat Hopkins in Vegas and Jones wants to be my neighbor - it's ridiculous. If a fight with Jones made sense from a cash point of view, then it could happen, but he is notorious for asking for too much money."

Jones says that he viewed Calzaghe as a possible opponent several years ago, but at the time he saw no reason to travel to Wales to chase the fight. Now that Calzaghe is the bigger star, Jones is willing to make the fight anywhere.

“I saw Joe as a potential opponent a long time ago,” Jones said. “But I had my eyes on higher things, such as winning the heavyweight title, so it was nothing against Joe, I love everything about him. He’s a fun guy, an entertaining guy, a good person. We took some pictures together with his sons after the fight on Saturday and we’ve talked on the phone. But boxing is business. When I was the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world it wouldn’t have been smart for me to go and fight Joe.

”You don’t go to somebody else when you’re the best, they must come to you, so I wouldn’t take the risk, and why would I? Why would I meet that challenge when I’m already the best? Why would I go to your country and give you a chance to allow the powers that be to take a close decision and give it to you?"

Jones says a fight with Calzaghe is the best fight in boxing, even better than a possible rematch between Oscar De La Hoya and Floyd Mayweather Jr, scheduled for September.

“But right now this is the best fight out there, better than the Oscar De La Hoya-Floyd Mayweather rematch because we all know what the outcome of that fight is going to be – another win for Floyd. You don’t know the outcome of this fight, however, so it’s a fight people are going to want to see. There’s suspense, and that’s what makes for a big fight," Jones says.

Joe wanted the big fights all along, he was avoided by prime Jones and prime Hopkins like the plague. They knew Joe could beat them and take the big money out of their pockets.
        He was not a.household name back then and didnt want to leave his country.

Comment

Originally posted by J Dubb II 330 View Post
          He was not a.household name back then and didnt want to leave his country.

Bull****, Joe Calzaghe was chasing the big fights all along, you've been schooled on this subject. Ignore that he wasn't a big name, you say he ducked Jones and Hopkins in their prime, no he chased Jones and Hopkins and these guys wouldn't fight him.

Comment

Originally posted by jermainerambo View Post
            joe calzaghe was 37 15 years a pro what was there to gain?.......

kessler beat froch...

bhop beat pavlik and johnson

chad dawson lost to pascal a guy froch and bhop beat

all those guys beating each other but nobody beat joe calzaghe
            Your using the triangle theory just like Calzaghe.

Comment

Originally posted by SPREAD View Post
              Have a day off, Calslappys resume should have an asterix next to it, fighting a washed up Eubank, Jones, and somehow winning a decision against Hopkins does not make your resume better than Froch's.

Froch has a win over Dirrell
              , who is faster,stronger,slicker and bigger than anyone Calzaghe has ever fought.

When did he fight his prime ward fight?, never he fought Lacy and Manfredo who were never great.

Wheres Dawson on his resume?, Jones Jnr before 2000, Tarver?, Glen Johnson?, I even heard Winky was gunna go up and fight Calzaghe.

His best win was Kessler and thats it, Froch beats Kessler in a rematch, unlucky not to get a draw in Denmark then again its Denmark.

Theres a whole 6 videos dedicated to breaking down how Calzaghe lost to Hopkins on youtube.
              IMO, you have to either credit both as wins or both as losses, because they were just as close.

Comment

Originally posted by J Dubb II 330 View Post
                Calzaghe fought two prime boxers. Jeff "never knocked anyone out with a left hook " Lacy who got embarassed by Jones Jr.

And Kessler. Cant take the Kessler win away.

But he never wanted any part of Froch, Pavlik, Dawson or prime Jones jr and B Hop. These are facts.

But it doesnt matter hes retired who cares.

Frochs resume may or may not be better. But dude has balls, something Joe never had.

The guy who said Jones was an over hyped HBO boxer, kill yourself.

And stop using the excuse that those boxers lost to this guy or that guy, atleast they were taking tough fights

omfg... idiot.

What about Robin Reid? Byron Mitchell, Charles Brewer..? all champions who were in their prime and just recently lost their titles, last two by clearly robbery.

Comment

Froch needs to fight Peter Manfredo before he can compare himself to the mighty Calzaghe.

Comment

bump

Comment

Calzaghe has only fought one world class fighter at their peak, being Kessler. Roy was washed up and B-Hop is old to. Why hasn't Calzaghe beat any world class fighters at their peak?

Comment

Working...
                      X