No announcement yet.

Score cards:Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier 1

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Score cards:Muhammad Ali vs Joe Frazier 1

I have watched this fight over 100 times! I have scored it different almost everytime.I have scoed it 10-5 Frazier and 7-7-1,and anywhere in between.

I watched the fight again last night.....

1-Ali
    2-Ali
    3-Even
    4-Ali
    5-Ali.....Frazier gave that round away.
    6-Frazier
    7-Frazier
    8-Frazier
    9-Ali......Ali hurt Frazier,and had him in trouble
    10-Frazier
    11-Frazier....Frazier hurt Ali badly,and almost knocked him out.
    12-Frazier
    13-Even
    14-Ali
    15-Frazier knocks Ali down,and then hurts him again and again.

7-6-2-Frazier....But on points Frazier wins clearly by 3 points.

Please score the fight by rounds.

Thank You

I'll try and get round to watching it again and will score, but I'm pretty sure I had the fight almost round by round the same as you.

Comment

Nobody watched THE FIGHT OF THE CENTURY?

The biggest fight in boxing history?

Comment

Right, I finally got round to watching this fight again and scoring:

Round 1: Ali (but closer than I remembered it being)
        Round 2: Ali (clearly)
        Round 3: Ali (closer round)
        Round 4: Ali (but a very good last 40 seconds by Frazier)
        Round 5: Ali (clearly)
        Round 6: Frazier (clearly)
        Round 7: Ali (so close, another great finish to the round by Frazier)
        Round 8: Frazier (clearly)
        Round 9: Ali (Great start & finish by Ali, good middle of the round by Frazier)
        Round 10: Draw (My notes said 'if I was pushed I'd shade Ali')
        Round 11: Frazier (clearly, under the ten point must system 10-8 for me)
        Round 12: Frazier (but quite a close round)
        Round 13: Draw (closest round for me, both tired but good scoring moments)
        Round 14: Frazier (on sheer aggression)
        Round 15: Frazier (clearly, knockdown 10-8 under the ten point must system)

Result (7,6,2) Ali under the rounds scoring system.

BUT under the ten point must system I have it 143-142 Frazier.

Points to consider:

Frazier deserved to win this fight, even though my scoring under the rounds system had him a one point loser. Frazier definitely beat Ali, no two ways about it. The rounds Frazier dominated were much more decisive than the rounds Ali shaded.

As Frazier was champ it was probably right that he should have got the 'edge' or the 'benefit of the doubt' in several of the closer rounds, so rounds 10 and 13 on my card may well have gone Frazier's way based on this.....and because drawn rounds were fairly rare (only one of the three judges scored an even round this night). Oh.....and I'm not a professional judge, just a fan

Frazier was clearly the aggressor and didn't initiate as many clinches as Ali, his hitting was also more concussive than Ali's. This also may have swayed the judges in his favour in close rounds. But I would argue that Ali scored more often and displayed the better ring generalship even in the close rounds that he lost.

I think I'm right in saying that the rounds scoring system used on the night doesn't award anything extra for a knockdown in the round or for a truely decisive round like the eleventh? Does anyone know this for sure? No suprise that the much fairer ten point must system is now used to credit an extra point for a knockdown or very dominant round!!

There are two different films of the fight and I have just watched the more colourful, closer version (not the more popular 'Fighters' version more freely available). You can really hear the blows land and for me is the better one to judge.........but the other version shows the knockdown better.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
          Right, I finally got round to watching this fight again and scoring:

Round 1: Ali (but closer than I remembered it being)
          Round 2: Ali (clearly)
          Round 3: Ali (closer round)
          Round 4: Ali (but a very good last 40 seconds by Frazier)
          Round 5: Ali (clearly)
          Round 6: Frazier (clearly)
          Round 7: Ali (so close, another great finish to the round by Frazier)
          Round 8: Frazier (clearly)
          Round 9: Ali (Great start & finish by Ali, good middle of the round by Frazier)
          Round 10: Draw (My notes said 'if I was pushed I'd shade Ali')
          Round 11: Frazier (clearly, under the ten point must system 10-8 for me)
          Round 12: Frazier (but quite a close round)
          Round 13: Draw (closest round for me, both tired but good scoring moments)
          Round 14: Frazier (on sheer aggression)
          Round 15: Frazier (clearly, knockdown 10-8 under the ten point must system)

Result (7,6,2) Ali under the rounds scoring system.

BUT under the ten point must system I have it 143-142 Frazier.

Points to consider:

Frazier deserved to win this fight, even though my scoring under the rounds system had him a one point loser. Frazier definitely beat Ali, no two ways about it. The rounds Frazier dominated were much more decisive than the rounds Ali shaded.

As Frazier was champ it was probably right that he should have got the 'edge' or the 'benefit of the doubt' in several of the closer rounds, so rounds 10 and 13 on my card may well have gone Frazier's way based on this.....and because drawn rounds were fairly rare (only one of the three judges scored an even round this night). Oh.....and I'm not a professional judge, just a fan

Frazier was clearly the aggressor and didn't initiate as many clinches as Ali, his hitting was also more concussive than Ali's. This also may have swayed the judges in his favour in close rounds. But I would argue that Ali scored more often and displayed the better ring generalship even in the close rounds that he lost.

I think I'm right in saying that the rounds scoring system used on the night doesn't award anything extra for a knockdown in the round or for a truely decisive round like the eleventh? Does anyone know this for sure? No suprise that the much fairer ten point must system is now used to credit an extra point for a knockdown or very dominant round!!

There are two different films of the fight and I have just watched the more colourful, closer version (not the more popular 'Fighters' version more freely available). You can really hear the blows land and for me is the better one to judge.........but the other version shows the knockdown better.
          Great post and i agree with everything you said.

Thank you for taking the time to watch the fight,and to post about the fight.

Again,great post.

Comment

Cheers bud, great that you got to my reply so quickly. I think we ended up agreeing on many of the rounds too...........and lets face it so many were close.

I had to dig back a few pages to find this thread.......I've been itching to see the fight and reply for a few weeks now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Cheers bud, great that you got to my reply so quickly. I think we ended up agreeing on many of the rounds too...........and lets face it so many were close.

I had to dig back a few pages to find this thread.......I've been itching to see the fight and reply for a few weeks now.
              Thanks again.I hope we get many other posts on this great fight.

Comment

Absolutely! Its one of the best fights ever, an hour well spent even if you've seen it dozens of times.

I want the better film of the fight to be remastered and sold on Blu Ray HD. I'd pay for that!!!

Comment

#1. Frazier - 10-9
                  #2. Ali - 10-9
                  #3. Ali - 10-9
                  #4. Ali - 10-9
                  #5. Ali - 10-9
                  #6. Frazier - 10-9
                  #7. Ali - 10-9
                  #8. Frazier - 10-9
                  #9. Ali - 10-9
                  #10 Ali - 10-9
                  #11 Frazier - 10-9
                  #12. Frazier - 10-9
                  #13. Ali - 10-9
                  #14. Ali - 10-9
                  #15. Frazier - 10-8

143-141 - Ali

No doubt Joe landed the harder punches in the fight but i liked the way Ali would put his punches together crisply with 4-5 at a time. The fight was very close and a close score to Frazier i wouldn't argue with. I just feel Ali needed a KO to win that fight after all the political stuff that had went on. I think an 11-4 score for either fighter was ridiculous. Great fight, it's often forgot about because of what happened in Manila.

Comment

ill be back in this thread in ah hour.

Comment

Working...
                    X