Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I can't begin to fathom the stupidity of...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ~AK49~ View Post
    Huge difference between poaching and legal hunting. With legal hunting , you pay an insane amount of money just for the permit (which the money would go to the preservation of the other animals). Not only that, but the meat from the kill goes to feeding the local village. Better than their corrupt government can do. Male lions kill other male lions, including little cubs, for the sake of eliminating competition. Kill one male lion, for the sake of saving 20 others. Etc. There are just alot of different aspects to be examined. But yeah, a lot of good can come from hunting legally.
    This is all true, but legal hunting of exotic species typically leads to the thinning of numbers of vulnerable species which eventually leads to poaching and ultimately extinction.

It was legal to hunt to the black rhino in certain African countries for decades. Eventually their numbers became too thin and it was outlawed in most but not all of those nations. Legal hunts continued to threaten their survival and poaching became rampant due decades of increased increased demand brought about by sport hunting and the rhino products (horns, mostly) trade.

Black rhinos officially went extinct last year.

Legal hunting of the California condor has lead to it being officially declared extinct in 1987. Rehabilitation efforts and a rigorous breeding program involving all captive California condors resulted in an amazingly successful campaign which brought the species back from the brink.

Then they made it legal to hunt them again. Now they're almost extinct again.

I should note that I have no problem with hunters. My problem lies with sport hunters who care more about collecting "trophies" than the survival of the species they're putting at risk of extinction just to get those "trophies."

regarding the girl in question : I clicked the link and saw a picture of her posing with the carcass of cheetah and an African lion. Both of those species are currently listed as being "vulnerable" in Africa as a whole by the World Wildlife Fund, while the African lion is listed as "critically endangered" in western Africa.

That's why I'm pissed. Because people like her who disregard a species listing according to the WWF have been responsible for the extinction of entire species before due to either ignorance or disregard.

Comment

Originally posted by -Huey- View Post
      Insults and whining aside...nobody has the right to stop her, as what she's doing is totally legal. And, your insults and accusations are completely baseless. I'm no hipster! But, you're entitled to your own opinion.
      I wasn't insulting you. I just said that you had a hipster attitude about the outrage on facebook and that you evidently don't read much.

Those are observations, not insults.

Comment

Nothing wrong with hunting for food, but hunting purely so you can take a photo of yourself next to the dead animal is stupid & despicable, especially when the animal you've killed is part of an endangered species. How tragic she wasn't hunted herself. I could make the argument that I, as a male, am superior to her, so why shouldn't I be able to hunt & kill her?

Comment

Originally posted by Mannie Phresh View Post
          Liberals blowing up non issues. It's an everyday occurrence on MSNBC.
          This is not a left-wing/right-wing issue. I'm certainly not left-wing and I despise hunting as a sport.

Comment

This type of hunting is just rich people getting kicks from killing.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
              This is all true, but legal hunting of exotic species typically leads to the thinning of numbers of vulnerable species which eventually leads to poaching and ultimately extinction.

It was legal to hunt to the black rhino in certain African countries for decades. Eventually their numbers became too thin and it was outlawed in most but not all of those nations. Legal hunts continued to threaten their survival and poaching became rampant due decades of increased increased demand brought about by sport hunting and the rhino products (horns, mostly) trade.

Black rhinos officially went extinct last year.

Legal hunting of the California condor has lead to it being officially declared extinct in 1987. Rehabilitation efforts and a rigorous breeding program involving all captive California condors resulted in an amazingly successful campaign which brought the species back from the brink.

Then they made it legal to hunt them again. Now they're almost extinct again.

I should note that I have no problem with hunters. My problem lies with sport hunters who care more about collecting "trophies" than the survival of the species they're putting at risk of extinction just to get those "trophies."

regarding the girl in question : I clicked the link and saw a picture of her posing with the carcass of cheetah and an African lion. Both of those species are currently listed as being "vulnerable" in Africa as a whole by the World Wildlife Fund, while the African lion is listed as "critically endangered" in western Africa.

That's why I'm pissed. Because people like her who disregard a species listing according to the WWF have been responsible for the extinction of entire species before due to either ignorance or disregard.
              In the wild, sure. Those weren't wild animals tho, but contained. Legal/controlled hunting in these circumstances can be a good thing. Gotta keep things in check, ultimately protecting them from themselves. I.e. killing a male lion. Yeah, one male lion got killed, but that just saved numerous other males, especially cubs, from being killed as they were the 'competition'. Its not just a free for all on those animals, things are more carefully regulated than that.

Illegal hunting in the problem. A huge problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post

QFT

I'm amazed that anyone would be surprised by the critical reaction to this girl. Hunting and further endangering species that are already considered at-risk for mere trophies is one of the most obviously reckless and irresponsible behaviors humans can take towards nature. It's just selfish and disgusting behavior. We shouldn't stamp out any form of life just for fun. That strikes me as quite a weird desire for people to have.

Comment

Kendall Jones

this twitter/selfie fame whoring generation that is coming up disgusts me.

how can anybody get any fun killing such beautiful creatures?

id love to curb stomp this b*tch.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tase View Post
                    Kendall Jones

this twitter/selfie fame whoring generation that is coming up disgusts me.

id love to curb stomp this b*tch.
                    Fúcking disgusting. Honestly, this is some of the lowest possible human behavior.

Even if someone just saw a beautiful bunch of flowers growing somewhere and stomped on all of them or set them on fire, normal people would say "uh, why the fúck did you just kill those beautiful flowers? What's wrong with you"? It's needless, utterly pointless behavior. Destructive for the sake of being destructive. And with a beautiful wild animal that's at-risk of going extinct if this kind of behavior continues? Fúck these disgusting people. I hope they're all eventually the victim of an "unfortunate" hunting accident.

Comment

Originally posted by The Tase View Post
                      So if they were ugly, it'd be okay? lol

Comment

Working...
                      X