Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Mike Tyson only have one 15 round scheduled fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Mike Tyson only have one 15 round scheduled fight?

I was just looking on BoxRec and I was remembering that they stopped doing the 15 round title fights and went down to 12 instead around 1987 if I’m correct. Well I was looking st Tyson’s record and it appears his only scheduled 15 rd Fight was Oct. 16, 1987 against Tyrell Biggs and it was with all 3 titles on the line. It ended in the 10th but it says it was scheduled for 15. Why is it that Tyson’s fights against Tony Tucker(Aug. 1st, 1987) for all 3 titles, and Pinklon Thomas(May. 30, 1987) for WBC and WBA titles were only 12 round fights? Also his fight for the WBC title against Berbick from late 86’ was also scheduled for only 12 rounds. Just curious why none of these except the Biggs fight were scheduled for 15 rounds

Originally posted by IlikeBikeTython View Post
    I was just looking on BoxRec and I was remembering that they stopped doing the 15 round title fights and went down to 12 instead around 1987 if I’m correct. Well I was looking st Tyson’s record and it appears his only scheduled 15 rd Fight was Oct. 16, 1987 against Tyrell Biggs and it was with all 3 titles on the line. It ended in the 10th but it says it was scheduled for 15. Why is it that Tyson’s fights against Tony Tucker(Aug. 1st, 1987) for all 3 titles, and Pinklon Thomas(May. 30, 1987) for WBC and WBA titles were only 12 round fights? Also his fight for the WBC title against Berbick from late 86’ was also scheduled for only 12 rounds. Just curious why none of these except the Biggs fight were scheduled for 15 rounds
    I believe at that time 15 round fights were already being phased out.

The Vegas commission may have eradicated 15 round fights before Atlantic City did, which is where the Biggs fight took place.

Fun fact, Tyson-Biggs was the last heavyweight title fight to be scheduled for 15 rounds

Comment

I was gonna say that wasn't fun, but I gotta admit that fact was pretty fun.

Comment

Jan 1 1983 WBC changed title fights to 12 rounds after South Korean boxer Kim Duk-Koo lost his life in a brutal 15 round fight with Ray Mancini. The last heavyweight 15 round title fight was on October 16 1987 between Mike Tyson and Tyrell Biggs. After that all title fights were 12 rounds.

Comment

Originally posted by IlikeBikeTython View Post
          It ended in the 10th but it says it was scheduled for 15.
          Tyson-Biggs only lasted 7 rds.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
            Jan 1 1983 WBC changed title fights to 12 rounds after South Korean boxer Kim Duk-Koo lost his life in a brutal 15 round fight with Ray Mancini. The last heavyweight 15 round title fight was on October 16 1987 between Mike Tyson and Tyrell Biggs. After that all title fights were 12 rounds.
            This is exactly the reason..^^^*^^

Comment

This is the hurt business. I hate to see fighters get hurt but it's the hurt business. Bullfighting is a dangerous sport. They're not gonna start cutting the horns off of bulls in the future to make it safer are they?

Comment

15 versus 12 rounds

Do you guys think that was a helpful development? I don't think so. I think it totally changed the sport to where we see a lot of what Ray characterizes as more olympic trained fighters fighting professionally. When you take away the last three rounds you give a tremendous advantage to the boxers, the cuteys, and you take away the punchers best rounds. A good puncher often needs those last three rounds to catch a good defensive fighter... I think it tilted the odds too much frankly.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Agreed. Some fights are so dull though that I don't mind watching 3 fewer rounds of it these days. And sometimes, it's great seeing two warriors last the distance, like in the 3 Gatti/Ward fights. If those went more than 10 rounds, I don't know if they make it to the finish line.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.MojoRisin' View Post
                    Tyson-Biggs only lasted 7 rds.
                    Yes you’re right. Somehow I goofed on that. It was 7 rounds like you said. In response to the title fights going from 15 to 12, I personally wish that title fights could still be 15 rounds. Someone above mentioned how it makes it easier for the slick Olympic style fighters and it takes away the best 3 rounds from punchers. I agree. One fight that came to mind was Sergio Martinez vs Chavez Jr Middleweight title fight. Although Maravilla is one of my favorites of the last 30 years and I was rooting for him that night, I think that is a great example of a fight where the 3 rounds after the 12th would have resulted in a different winner. Martinez barely survived the 12th and was hurt badly. My opinion is he would’ve been stopped in the 13th if it was a 15 round fight. However, Martinez chose to stand and fight after the knockdown rather than clinch. I’m sure this was because he knew it was the last minute of the last round. Had it been a 15 round fight, maybe he chooses to clinch after being dropped in the 12th

Comment

Working...
                    X