Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody suprised by Englands rubbish performances

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not going to pretend like I know anything about this sport.....but I thought England was a Top 10 world level team???

To me, when the US won Bronze or whatever in basketball at those Olympics, it was devastating. Losing at the sport we care a lot about. It was terrible.

I can only imagine the Brits with their national team not winning anything in like nearly 50 years. Especially when it's the sport they care a ton about.

I just don't understand why they always hate on the US national team and say we suck at it.....when they have 1 more Top 4 finish in the history of the world cup, and in the last 6 world cups, they have 1 more Quater-final appearance than us. Certainly they are still better than we are. But given the the lack in popularity of that sport in the US, I don't think we're too bad.
    Last edited by 4Corners; 06-21-2014, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
      Not going to pretend like I know anything about this sport.....but I thought England was a Top 10 world level team???

To me, when the US won Bronze or whatever in basketball at those Olympics, it was devastating. Losing at the sport we care a lot about. It was terrible.

I can only imagine the Brits with their national team not winning anything in like nearly 50 years. Especially when it's the sport they care a ton about.

I just don't understand why they always hate on the US national team and say we suck at it.....when they have 1 more Top 4 finish in the history of the world cup, and in the last 6 world cups, they have 1 more Quater-final appearance than us. Certainly they are still better than we are. But given the the lack in popularity of that sport in the US, I don't think we're too bad.
      top 10 doesnt mean much. unless youre one of the 2-3 top dogs you virtually dont have a shot at winning the cup. the dropoff after the top 5 is ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post

Football is nothing like Basketball.

Yanks monopolise Basketball. You're the only ones who really care about it and have the resources to dominate it.

This is a World Cup and unlike your tournaments which use the word "World", this actually involves the rest of the world. And the rest of the world actually care. There are teams whose only sport is football - Uruguay for example. England compete in several sports which involve the rest of the world. We do OK.

Who did you lose to in the Olympics? That's far more pathetic than England getting KO'd from a World Cup that no one thought we had any chance of winning.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullrush View Post
          thats the price you have to pay for having the best league in the world. every elite player goes to england to play in the premier league so there is no room for young english talents to develop, get playing time and so on. unless they are wonder kids that have a chance to become world class players, like wayne rooney. those guys get groomed, they put effort in developing those players. the rest just doesnt get any playing time so its impossible for them to develop
          Could do what the cricket authorities do and limit it to 2 overseas players per team?

Cricket is pretty strong here. England have been a good test side for ages now. Even won the 2009 ICC World T20 on the ODI/LOI side of events.

Comment

Any country can be good at any old sport no one cares about like basketball. It's called the Olympics.

Football is different. Football is a truly global sport where everybody cares. The competition is equal and real.

Comment

Originally posted by fight_professor View Post
              Could do what the cricket authorities do and limit it to 2 overseas players per team?

Cricket is pretty strong here. England have been a good test side for ages now. Even won the 2009 ICC World T20 on the ODI/LOI side of events.
              they could. and they probably will start doing that in the near future, they have to. its already being done in other leagues with similar restrictions but the problem is that teams dont want that, they dont care about the english squad. they dont care if their best player is english or italian, they just care about winning titles and make money. restrictions like that will cost the league and the teams a lot of money, they wont be as competitive (internationally) anymore, the league wont be as attractive anymore to watch. so they have to somehow find a healthy balance

Comment

Football as a sport in England is running out of steam due to a new craze spreading like wildfires in London. Here it is…

Comment

Originally posted by Bullrush View Post
                  they could. and they probably will start doing that in the near future, they have to. its already being done in other leagues with similar restrictions but the problem is that teams dont want that, they dont care about the english squad. they dont care if their best player is english or italian, they just care about winning titles and make money. restrictions like that will cost the league and the teams a lot of money, they wont be as competitive (internationally) anymore, the league wont be as attractive anymore to watch. so they have to somehow find a healthy balance
                  Yes the EPL will suffer but the national squad may improve as a result. That should outrank silly leagues where its a simple money game.

For me, sports only gain gravitas in the international setting of country v country. I dont care for league cricket either - it needs the national dimension to become significant.

Comment

what hurtst he most is that countries with populations of 2-4 million are out doing england and out doing us consistently. we have better resources, tonnes of pitches, great stadiums, an impressive domestic league system and we just don't produce players the quality of Suarez and co.

Anyway, what a game today with Germany and Ghana!!! One of the all time great draws, really was pushing for Ghana to do it in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by soul_survivor View Post
                      what hurtst he most is that countries with populations of 2-4 million are out doing england and out doing us consistently. we have better resources, tonnes of pitches, great stadiums, an impressive domestic league system and we just don't produce players the quality of Suarez and co.

Anyway, what a game today with Germany and Ghana!!! One of the all time great draws, really was pushing for Ghana to do it in the end!
                      Fat yank alert.

Jesus...

What the yanks are doing to the football thread is similar to what my morning piss does to my toilet.

Comment

Working...
                      X