Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head to head Lennox Lewis is the greatest HW of all time.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lewis was within a few punches to having a undefeated record but dropped two fights he shouldn't which goes for many guys so not sure the double standards has much merit. I would / could see a young Cus Damato Tyson landing on Lewis, maybe a Bowe as well defeating him you also have Klitsckos to consider. The question is it you take one fighter in history how confident are you he wins against all and when it counts most ? Lewis certaintly could defeat anyone and some would defeat him .

Comment

The eye test is important, and Lewis passes it because of his mammoth size in combination with considerable skills, but there are other important criteria for me in determining how great a fighter is: who did he beat, and when did he beat them. Other heavyweights in history surpass Lewis in terms of the competition they faced and defeated. (The same goes for Joe Louis, BTW.)

Comment

He’s one of the greats, but nobody is unbeatable.

I’d see him having lots of trouble with Foreman in his prime. Lewis/Holmes could be an entertaining jab battle. Lots of great matchups that Lewis doesn’t get a guaranteed win over

Comment

Originally posted by tonysoprano View Post
          He's over-rated tbh. His 2 biggest victories were against fighters clearly past their prime, Holyfield and Tyson.
          Other than that getting sparked by McCall and Rahman isn't great.

Ali, Holmes, Louis all school him. Foreman knocks him out. Prime Tyson wrecks him. Not saying he isn't a great HW, he was - but best of all time is ridiculous.
          Lennox Lewis beat every man that ever stepped in to the ring with him

Comment

Originally posted by Sid-Knee View Post
            Ali Holmes and Louis wouldn't come close to schooling Lewis. Lewis beats the **** out of Ali and Holmes by decision and absolutely destroys Louis in about 2 rounds.

Lewis could counter punch. Do you know what happens to Foreman when you can do that? They make a mockery over this grotesquely overrated caveman. Just like Young did. Or are you going to sat that dud is also better than Lewis? Haha.

Prime Tyson isn't up to wreaking anyone on the level of Lewis. He can do it against average fighters, but not even close to doing it to the very best. The Tyson hype was proven to be nothing but a myth. Lewis proved he was the truth.

Holyfield and Vitali were Lewis' two biggest wins. Tyson was a good win, but was more of a name than substance by that point. That's to go along with a long list of other good wins. Name a heavyweight with that kind of depth in their resume? Holmes has nothing but 7 good wins. And Louis beat mostly bums. There's a few good wins, but mostly garbage of the highest order.

You say that Lewis lost to Rahman and McCall, but don't mention the fact that Lewis had his mind on Bowe and Holyfield because they both kept refusing to fight him. So his mind wasn't on McCall. And against Rahman, he was over weight through not training and turned up in Africa way too late so the altitude got to him. You can see his mouth wide open even in the first round trying to get oxygen in his lungs. So don't make anything of those 2 loses. And besides, he avenged both of those.

What about Holmes losing to a damn Lightheavtweight. Twice?

What about a prime Louis getting dominated by a shot Schmelling? It wasn't a lucky punch. He was outclassed, dropped and knocked out.

What about Foreman getting dominated by a nobody in Young and getting dropped even though Young was featherfisted?

What about Ali losing all 3 to Norton, an average fighter, but getting gifts in 2 of those? What about Ali losing to Young but getting another gift? What about Ali getting the shot kicked out of him by a one armed brawler in Frazier? What about Ali loosening the ropes illegally against Foreman to gain an advantage? What about getting another gift against a slow brawler in Shavers?

Look at the fighters you defend before you ever judge Lewis. He is the best Heavyweight of all time, and it's not even close.
            Cmon man.
            You can't be serious surely.

Comment

Oliver McCall and Hasim Rahman knocked out the greatest heavyweight of all time.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                Tell me what it was like watching prime Ali in the 60's/70's?

Anything like watching Jordan in the 80s 90s?
                I was a Kid at the time, but my father and his friends used to get together and I used to sit on the floor and watch the fights.

Watching Ali was bigger than watching Jordan, but I love Kenny Norton and always thought Norton won those fights.

That said, all of the big 4 were great.

If you are comparing them to Jordan, the only thing I can tell you is, if you were a nicks fan, and those guys were the bulls, you would be in tears forever!

P.S. Ali seemed to fly of the floor, like he said, like a Butterfly! Beautiful!

Comment

Originally posted by eco1 View Post
                  I was a Kid at the time, but my father and his friends used to get together and I used to sit on the floor and watch the fights.

Watching Ali was bigger than watching Jordan, but I love Kenny Norton and always thought Norton won those fights.

That said, all of the big 4 were great.

If you are comparing them to Jordan, the only thing I can tell you is, if you were a nicks fan, and those guys were the bulls, you would be in tears forever!

P.S. Ali seemed to fly of the floor, like he said, like a Butterfly! Beautiful!
                  Good stuff, Eco... My dad once told me he cried when Foreman stopped Frazier... If you had a guy in the 70s, that was your guy thick or thin

Similar to you, I was a kid watching boxing on the floor. Only it was SRL, Hearns, Hagler, Tyson, Holyfield, etc in the 80s
                  Last edited by Chollo Vista; 11-19-2018, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Chollo Vista View Post
                    Good stuff, Eco... My dad once told me he cried when Foreman stopped Frazier... If you had a guy in the 70s, that was your guy thick or thin

Similar to you, I was a kid watching boxing on the floor. Only it was SRL, Hearns, Hagler, Tyson, Holyfield, etc in the 80s
                    Actually, I was still young in the 80's and watched those too. They were warriors and never cherrypicked! They fought everyone.

I was actually probably 4 years old when Foreman fought Frazier, I can still remember when he lift Frazier in the air!

Comment

Not even close, Lewis is so overrated by some people on here.

Comment

Working...
                      X