Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd thinks he is a PPV draw............

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by figzuki View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pay-per-view

where the hell were floyds ppv numbers before oscar, please explain.... floyds been dominating the game for 17 years by his account, where were the numbers before then...

he did his job and sold the ppv for the oscar fight, and in the processed marketed himself to be hated, so everyone pays cuz they want to see him loose now, it worked, he is still undefeated and people are still hoping to see him get pacquiao'd.
    I'm not sure how this post relates to your original one. Odh didn't give floyd his ppv launch did he? Now, if you want to say odh was the a side of that ppv no question he was. But, I remind you that without floyd, odh's top ppvs, if I am correct, are tito at 1.4 mil and either manny or shane at 1.25. Without odh, floyds top are 1.5 with cotto and 1.4 with shane.

I buy floyds ppv and don't want to see him lose so you can't say everyone buys for that reason. That is your assumption and you are posting it because you think that somehow invalidates his sales. It doesn't.

Did floyd get a rub from fighting odh, of course he did. Did odh benefit from floyd, of course he did. Floyd has proven to be the best b side on ppv and the 3rd strongest a side to this point other than tyson or odh.

Now if floyd fights canelo and manny/chavez jr., he will almost surely eclipse both in terms of raw numbers and money generated. Face it, floyd has a strong chance to be the top ppv seller before he truly retires.

Comment

[QUOTE=croz;13069339]
      Of course it is. If people want to watch something else they'll watch something else. Why do you think Manny vs Bradley was delayed for a basketball game? Just because people buy a PPV it doesn't mean they're only going to watch only PPVs.
      Because sports fans are sports fans and that was bad timing. If you put anything against the NBA playoffs or NFL games, they will suffer. That still wasn't my point.

The food network? Yeah that's what we're comparing this to of course.

Look at it this way, let's say HBO spend millions and millions on promoting a Mayweather fight but only show the promotion on HBO. Well not as many people are going to be watching HBO as say they would have been before. While HBO is advertising on HBO there are more people tuning into other networks.

Say for example you had 5 million people on average watching HBO back in 1970. Okay well then along comes Showtime who cut into HBO's audience bringing it down to 4 million watching HBO on average. Then along comes FX In later years who take another piece from the HBO pie. Then suddenly every network wants their own sport network and each one of them digs in even more. Then you have netflix, youtube, even social media sites like facebook take a percentage of people who otherwise may have been watching HBO. Over time those 5 million people who would have seen the boxing advert have now been cut down to a mere 1 million people

Back in the old days you only had to put one advert on one network to reach those 5 million people. Nowadays if you want to reach those same 5 million people you have to put an ad on HBO, Showtime, NBCS, FX, youtube, twitter, and facebook.
      I understand, but you are still generating more money today and of course that has to do with inflation but it also has to do with access. Boxing was much bigger back in the day, but there isn't a star like Oscar or Tyson in today's boxing. HBO does compete with Showtime but GENERALLY, they don't show competing PPV's ont he same night. Even though that has just recently happened once I believe which Oscar cam forward and said is bad for boxing.

There are more fans today. The sports business journal estimates boxing grew from 30 million fans in 2002 to 50 million in 2012.
      Yes and in general boxers are making more money but again, we are comparing titans like Tyson and Oscar which we don't have today.

Comment

Originally posted by figzuki View Post
        the numbers you gave were factual, sure...

but the rest is a croc of ****.. donesn't have to do with anything about the era's which is what made actual ppv fighters like tyson and dlh.

we are both defending that he is a ppv draw of course, but your views are just ridiculous, when it came to other thoughts other than actual numbers.
        What views did I express? I didn't say he was king or the best.

Comment

Dumb thread.

Just because he's on "2nd rate" Showtime now, doesn't mean that he wont sell. As far as I know, you dont have to subscribe to Showtime, just to order a Showtime PPV.

I didn't have Showtime when I ordered Pac/Mosley, so again, it's the same money being spent on PPV (whether its HBO or Showtime) when you order it.

The name alone, will sell, as it has done for the past few years.

Comment

Originally posted by djeffectz View Post
            Tyson is the biggest draw, he fights average boxers and still get over 1 million buys

Pacquiao is the next highest

followed by Mayweather and Oscar.

Those PPVs aren't up to date.

The UFC one is especially off. They list Lesnar vs Overeem at 800k but it did around 500k including international buys.

Not that they even release their PPVs to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post
              Yeah, he's not a PPV draw, that's why he just got the biggest network deal in boxing history, because it's his opponents who sell his PPV's. Another intellectually dishonest bscene losing thread from a complete loser. Well done you short bus riding ****.
              hahahhhahahaah, too funny

Comment

Originally posted by djeffectz View Post
                Tyson is the biggest draw, he fights average boxers and still get over 1 million buys

Pacquiao is the next highest

followed by Mayweather and Oscar.

How is Pacquiao ahead of Floyd when he has consistently averaged hundreds of thousands less PPVs against common opponents?

Comment

Originally posted by TheHook84 View Post
                  As of right now here are the top 5 PPV draws in the sport of boxing:

1) Manny Pacquiao - He brings the entire Filipino fanbase and gives great exciting fights and doesn't hold back.

2) Floyd Mayweather - The whole Black community supports him and he has lots of haters who want to see him lose.

3) Juan Manuel Marquez - By fighting Pacquiao 4 times he's become popular and is the most popular fighter in the Mexican fanbase.

4) Saul Alvarez - Mexicans like him because he's full white and they look up to people with white skin and caucasian features.

5) Nonito Donaire - His popularity is booming right now and the whole Filipino fanbase is starting to get behind him.
                  Purely based on your opinion, please post the PPV numbers of each to back this up.

Comment

Floyd is the #1 PPV draw today but is he as big as the fighters of the 90s like Tyson, Holyfield, Foreman, Oscar? No. Holyfield vs. Foreman in 1991 had a crazy 1.45 million PPV buys and that was when you had to rent a special box just to get the fight and not many people had cable or satellite TV.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadLikeMe View Post
                      How is Pacquiao ahead of Floyd when he has consistently averaged hundreds of thousands less PPVs against common opponents?
                      They're still living in that Pacland bubble where down is up, up is down, goodbye is badbye, less ppv buys = more ppv buys.

Comment

Working...
                      X