Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

andre ward

Comment

Originally posted by Cutthroat View Post
      Bute and Froch both have nasty power as well.
      Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
      Agreed, he was knocking Cruisers cold and the n moved up to face men far larger than himself and has been knocking the most of em out! Del Boy was a durable thick set HW with a solid chin - Iced. He even had the 7'2 23stone Valuev rocking! Alot of guys move up and their shots lose their sting, and we are talking a division here so a few lbs... Haye is giving up Tons of weight!

Not overly heavy handed but oh so explosive
      Both Froch and Haye have nasty power, but they both have to catch you with the right shots. Neither are "heavy handed" where you will feel every shot, but Haye is lightening and build solid as a rock and Froch throws from weird angles with some 'thud' - Like that uppercut he through that came all the way from his knees to plant Taylor on his arse, weird and lots of "thud" behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
        Im not so high on his power, but it's rated by a lot (including himself), Nonito Donaire
        the montiel kayo is about as hard as you'll ever see a bantamweight punch. that was freakish power.

i think donaire's power gets overstated a bit. it's there, but the man throws very little for a bantamweight. when he's throwing it's usually full pow, and easy to take away.

he also looked brutal when he beat up sidorenko (or however you spell that crazy name.)

he was just putting bombs on that poor kid. he could hardly keep from getting knocked backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Sage84 View Post
          Both Froch and Haye have nasty power, but they both have to catch you with the right shots. Neither are "heavy handed" where you will feel every shot, but Haye is lightening and build solid as a rock and Froch throws from weird angles with some 'thud' - Like that uppercut he through that came all the way from his knees to plant Taylor on his arse, weird and lots of "thud" behind it.
          haye is a no holds barred puncher, p4p or otherwise

froch isnt on his level in punching terms.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
            lol

pacquiao is a monstrous puncher, he's just fighting much bigger guys.

he's a former flyweight with a one punch knockout over one of hte best 140 lbers in his era.

at 122 through 130 he's one of the most explosive punchers you will ever see.
            He was only a bomb puncher at 122, when he knocked out Ledwaba, and in this fight his punches were like shotgun blasts he was rattling this guys brain

But he drained himself to fight smaller guys at the time, remember Pacquiao has never put on any size, he just cut a lot of weight back than to have the size advantage at 122 and lower. at 126 he was fighting guys who were cutting just as much weight as him and didn't have the size advantage that is why he wasn't knocking guys out hard style, and at his walk around weight of 140 he hasn't knocked anyone out or hurt them since the Hatton and Cotto fights, both guys have had suspect chins anyway, and Oscar who wasn't fully hydrated withstood Pacmans punches not even fall one time and Pac weighed the same as him on fight night.

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
              Obviously i mean p4p! Who u got?
              In no particular order here are a bunch who's power i rate!

Wladomir Klitschko
              David Haye
              Gennady Golovkin
              Randall Bailey
              Lucas Matthysse
              Marco Huck
              Arthur Abraham
              Daniel Ponce De Leon
              Juanma Lopez
              Johnny Gonzales
              Victor Ortiz
              Saul Alvarez
              Manny Pacquaio

Pretty much spot on.

Comment

Originally posted by hectari View Post
                I pretty much agree with you. I'd throw Kendall Holt in the mix too, his record is deceiving but he has that one punch left hook that puts guys to sleep

Except Pacquiao, Pacman isn't a hard puncher, he just throw some super fast punches you don;t see that wobbles or rocks you.

Larry Holmes said Tyson wasn't really a hard puncher but he was a quick puncher and those punches you can't see can drop you, Holmes said Shavers hit him harder than Tyson, he said Shavers hit him so hard he was drooling.

Morales, Solis, and others said Pacquiao doesn't punch hard he just hits you from awkward angles you can't see, even Hatton said he didn't feel much power but he was knocked out from a punch he didn't see.
                I believe Holmes said that Gerry Cooney was the hardest hitter he ever faced in terms of raw power, but I guess his technique and speed wouldn't be as good as Tyson's.

Originally posted by kiaba360 View Post
                Maidana.....
                I don't think Maidana is too hard a hitter. He certainly has a puncher's mentality in that he's very aggressive but he doesn't hit particularly hard considering that he spends most of the time going for a knockout.

Originally posted by Defututus View Post
                andre ward
                Not at all. He's an excellent fighter but not a hard hitter. He wouldn't have got the KO last Saturday if he hadn't so effectively frustrated Dawson to the point where he gave up in the 10th, but it was more ring smarts than power that contributed to that.

Comment

Edwin Valero would certainly be on this list if he were still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by New England View Post
                    the montiel kayo is about as hard as you'll ever see a bantamweight punch. that was freakish power.

i think donaire's power gets overstated a bit. it's there, but the man throws very little for a bantamweight. when he's throwing it's usually full pow, and easy to take away.

he also looked brutal when he beat up sidorenko (or however you spell that crazy name.)

he was just putting bombs on that poor kid. he could hardly keep from getting knocked backwards.
                    Yeah I agree, that Montiel KO was devastating and the couple leading up to it including Vic D, were all similar left hooks to the head and also very good. I know he broke Mathebulas jaw in his last fight, but that was the fight I thought "this guy is in love with his power, but im not so sure it's as good as I once did or he thinks it is"

Comment

Originally posted by chav View Post
                      Yeah I agree, that Montiel KO was devastating and the couple leading up to it including Vic D, were all similar left hooks to the head and also very good. I know he broke Mathebulas jaw in his last fight, but that was the fight I thought "this guy is in love with his power, but im not so sure it's as good as I once did or he thinks it is"
                      I think his power is great, but after a couple of high profile devastating knockouts people now fight him with a defensive mindset. The same thing happened to Pacquiao, he whacked DLH, Hatton & Cotto and then the likes of Clottey and Mosely covered up or ran for 12 rounds and then laughed all the way to the bank. It doesn't diminish his power, it just means that no one will trade with him. Cotto tried in the first couple of rounds and look what happened to him.

Comment

Working...
                      X