No announcement yet.

So I was sparring...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I was sparring...

...against a guy who is about 5'10. I am 5'3 and pretty short. I had a hard time getting inside. Every time I try to get inside, he stops me with his jab and keeps me at a distance. And believe me, I am using my jabs to get in, but his reach is always going to be longer. I thought maybe I should let him attack first, so he can come in and close the distance and meet me halfway so I'm not reaching so much. I try to counter his jabs with my left hook. Kind of like what Pacquiao did to Margarito, but my arms are too short. His jab hits me first. I tried to counter with my right straight. Once again, his jabs are going to get to me first. I even tried head movements, and for some reason, he is hitting me anyways. What is the solution to this distance?? I'm trying to spar him again, and I need some advice.

Originally posted by The_Sandman View Post
    ...against a guy who is about 5'10. I am 5'3 and pretty short. I had a hard time getting inside. Every time I try to get inside, he stops me with his jab and keeps me at a distance. And believe me, I am using my jabs to get in, but his reach is always going to be longer. I thought maybe I should let him attack first, so he can come in and close the distance and meet me halfway so I'm not reaching so much. I try to counter his jabs with my left hook. Kind of like what Pacquiao did to Margarito, but my arms are too short. His jab hits me first. I tried to counter with my right straight. Once again, his jabs are going to get to me first. I even tried head movements, and for some reason, he is hitting me anyways. What is the solution to this distance?? I'm trying to spar him again, and I need some advice.
    You need to get up close to him, litteraly push him onto the ropes and lean on him, You are going to have to take a jab or 2 to get in, when you do make sure you rip in to him though, vertical uppercuts, and then right hook, body shot, right hook

Get him off his rhythm and try and rough him up, you are never going to win in the centre of the ring, just keep coming foward and try to feint to make him jab and then come foward fast.

If you decide to, come in low with a jab, and follow it up with a quick close hook, because he will try to come to you, keep him moving around the ring, and use an in and out style, but as I said, when you do go for the attack, rip him, throw 5-6-7 punches, and work your way around him again.

Trying to come straight foward at him and trying to outjab him is silly.
    Last edited by Andyreww; 05-16-2012, 09:10 PM.

Comment

I'm like that guy you're sparring. I'm really tall, especially for my weight class (Which means I lack strength, but I try to make up for it with speed) and it's really easy to have control over someone a with a lot shorter reach.

It's more or less like the guy above me said. If you're 5'3" going against someone 5'11" either you're really big for you're height or they're really skinny, so if you keep your head guarded and just take a few punches to get on the inside, then try to really get some good hits in. When someone does that and throws a few good body shots, it really slows me down. I'm 6'1'' and I was sparring against a guy that was about 5'5'', and I was doing great until the second round, when he did exactly that, and after he slowed me down he was able to get on the inside again and hit me with a great short upper, and I spent the rest of the sparring match staying to the outside and trying to keep him away. (Thankfully it was just sparring, so he didn't feel the need to come at me too hard lol)

Either way though, you'll probably have to take a few shots, but if that guy is in your weight class, then you're probably a lot stronger than him and yours will hurt a lot more than his.

Comment

If you choose to, come in low with a jab, and adhere to it up with a fast near connect, because he will try to come to you, keep him going around the band, and use an in and out design, but as I said, when you do go for the strike, rip him, toss 6 7 8 blows, and perform your way around him again.

Comment

Coming with the jab on a taller fighter isn't always the best idea, although traditionally we always get taught to come in behind the jab.

The best way to get in on a taller fighter is to cross his "zone" behind his jab, meaning "follow" his jab inside when he retracts the punch,....this will allow you to get inside while diminishing the chance of a second punch coming towards you.

Use your feints, see how he would react to you leading in with a power shot , it will allow you to telegraph him better, and see if u can use a power shot (whether it be a left hook or a lead straight) to set yourself up on the inside, more than likely, a tall fighter is either gonna try to block or move away from the punch, not counter it. Use ur head movement and throw these shots from angles that he wouldn't expect. Loop them, throw them overhead, etc.

Also, remember to stay in the "neutral zone" or completely on the outside , ...the neutral zone is where both of u guys can get to each other with a punch, "his" zone is where he can tag you but you can't tag him. a lot of times shorter fighters make the mistake of sitting in the taller fighter's zone looking to "set-up" their punches.

Once you get on the inside, combos are ur best friend. A taller fighter will never outpunch you, especially not on the inside.

Comment

Head movement.... feel free to slip a couple of those shots on your way in.

Comment

Working...
            X