No announcement yet.

Why didnt Mosely fight at 140lbs?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Levcon8686 View Post
    Did he not rematch Oscar shortly after anyway?
    I think he rematched him 3-4 years later at 154 with 2 losses to Forrest on his record.

Comment

Originally posted by EMACULATE View Post
      Manny fought David Diaz and Ricky Hatton at 140.
      Diaz at 135.

Comment

Guys, the man is trying to have a thread about Shane Mosley. No need to turn it into another Pacquiao thread.

Comment

Originally posted by EMACULATE View Post
          Manny fought David Diaz and Ricky Hatton at 140.
          Diaz was at 135 for the WBC Belt

Comment

there were bigger and better things at 147 at the time. i mean he couldve dominated 140lbs like he did 135, he still wouldnt get alot of credit and even less money. but when he beat oscar he became #1 p4p, made some real money and secured some more big checks in the future.

Comment

I would have been quite partial to a bit of Mosley v Tsyzu circa 2000/2001.

Comment

Originally posted by apokalips View Post
                Oscar De La Hoya
                Yeah, basically.

A Kostya Tszyu fight would have been nice around 2000-2002, but not even close to being as huge or as lucrative as the De la Hoya fight was. If Tszyu wasn't stopped by Phillips, I think Mosley might have never skipped 140 and he would fought Tszyu before Oscar.

Plus Forrest was on his way up in the rankings, so Shane wanted to stay at 147 and avenge his lost in the amateurs. He already had a big money fight on the way, so dropping to 140 wasn't really necessary.

Once he beat Oscar, he established himself as the top Welterweight. And Mosley was always a very big Lightweight, so not sure how easy he could have made 140 once he already made the move to 147.

Comment

He's been waiting for a bout with Bradley to "Marinate" just right lmao.

Comment

Originally posted by edgarg View Post

I believe that you have all forgotten that when he beat Oscar very handily in their first fight, he REFUSED point blank to accept $12 million for a return, saying that he was the champion and was worth much more, as Oscar would be making much more. He said it should be
                    50-50. We hear a lot more about Marquez refusing $750,000 for another Manny P. fight, hammering at his and Nacho Beristain's lack of business skills, but we NEVER hear anythiing about Mosley's horrendous "mess-up", which cost him 12 mill PLUS.
                    The difference is Marquez didn't beat Pac.

Mosley should have fought Oscar before Forrest, as he never would have made that much money fighting someone else. But Mosley's demands were more than reasonable.

Mosley was the undefeated champion, who had a decisive win over De La Hoya. He deserved more in my opinion, but asking 50-50 was more than fair since De La Hoya was still the bigger draw even after defeat.

You can easily make the case that De La Hoya was equally to blame. Why not take 50-50 to avenge a lost? It's not like Mosley wanted a bigger cut.

Comment

He was a top P4P guy but didnt have the fame or money so he did like pretty much anyone else around the weight class wanted to do, which is to chase a big money/high profile fight with Oscar. Wouldve loved to see him vs Tszyu at 140 though

Comment

Working...
                      X