Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL: Dinosaurs Were Wiped Out By An Asteroid That Hit Mexico 65 Millions Yrs Ago

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DLT View Post
    How come you guys already didnt know this? Am I the only one in here who loves watching shows like this? I always watch the History & National Geographic channles. I know all about this ****, Nostradamus, the 7 ways the world may end, and all that other ****. I can watch it all day
    I watch those things but i'm more into Astronomy and all that outer space stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by -Kevin- View Post
      It's not disagreeing it's called correcting. But anyways there's no proof that this really did happen. 41 scientists is not enough, 41,000 is enough.
      they can disagree and correct you at the same time.......and 41 scientists is more than enough

Comment

I watch those things but i'm more into Astronomy and all that outer space stuff.
        do you believe in ETI???

Comment

Originally posted by Rolling Stone View Post
          http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/d...ish-place.html

The asteroid, the size of the Isle of Wight, slammed into the Yucatan peninsula in Mexico at 20 times the speed of a bullet causing earthquakes, landslides, tsunamis and wildfires.

The destruction, 65 million years ago, was so great it left most of the world a wasteland, shrouded in dust, perpetually cold and virtually devoid of all life and vegetation.

The dinosaurs, which had ruled for 160 million years, were wiped out in a matter of days. Large marine reptiles, like the mosasaurs and the plesiosaurs, the flying reptiles known as pterosaurs, giant snail-like ammonites and many species of marine plankton, were also were also obliterated. Bird species also suffered losses but survived.

Some mammals survived, however, ultimately setting the stage for the rise of human beings.

The conclusion by a panel of 41 international scientists, that it was an asteroid that caused the disappearance of the dinosaurs, has come in a bid to end decades of speculation.

The panel, which reported in the journal Science, were set up in order to end debate over what caused the massed extinction at the end of the Cretaceous Period.

In particular, it wanted to dispel competing theories that it was caused by volcano eruption or climate change.

"Combining all available data from different science disciplines led us to conclude that a large asteroid impact 65 million years ago in modern-day Mexico was the major cause of the mass extinctions," said Professor Peter Schulte, at the University of Erlangen in Germany and lead author of the review paper.

Dr Joanna Morgan, co-author of the review from the Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London, said: "We now have great confidence that an asteroid was the cause of the extinction.

"This triggered large-scale fires, earthquakes measuring more than 10 on the Richter scale, and continental landslides, which created tsunamis.

"However, the final nail in the coffin for the dinosaurs happened when blasted material was ejected at high velocity into the atmosphere.

"This shrouded the planet in darkness and caused a global winter, killing off many species that couldn't adapt to this hellish environment."

The key piece of proof was the discovery of a band of iridium – a metal rare on earth but common in meteorites – dating to the end of the Cretaceous Period that suggested the big space rock had smashed into the earth and blasted its remains around the globe.

On top of this, the fossil records clearly shows a mass extinction across the planet at about 65.5 million years ago.

Scientists have previously argued about the extinction could be caused by volcanic activity in India, where there were a series of super volcanic eruptions that lasted approximately 1.5 million years.

These eruptions spewed enough lava across the Deccan Traps in India, an area stretching from Mumbai almost to the Himalayas, which is thought to have caused a cooling of the atmosphere and acid rain on a global scale.

In the new study, scientists, including ones of University of Cambridge, Imperial College London and Open University, analysed the work of palaeontologists, geochemists, climate modellers, geophysicists and sedimentologists who have been collecting evidence about the extinction over the last 20 years.

Dr Gareth Collins, Natural Environment Research Council Fellow and another co-author from the Department of Earth Science and Engineering at Imperial College London, said: "The explosion of hot rock and gas would have looked like a huge ball of fire on the horizon, grilling any living creature in the immediate vicinity that couldn't find shelter.

"Ironically, while this hellish day signalled the end of the 160 million year reign of the dinosaurs, it turned out to be a great day for mammals, who had lived in the shadow of the dinosaurs prior to this event.

"The extinction was a pivotal moment in Earth's history, which ultimately paved the way for humans to become the dominant species on Earth."
          wtf??? lol this info is like 65 million years old!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rolling Stone View Post
            they can disagree and correct you at the same time.......and 41 scientists is more than enough
            again, its not the scientists but the evidence they submit that makes some thing correct, incorrect, or still unknown.

41 maybe more then enough but if their basing their info on a dream they had then its definitely not enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Skin View Post
              How come crocodiles survived then huh?
              They survived because, like the shorebirds, they benefitted from being close to the water and its cooling effects. Whenever you see a crocodile sunning itself on a river bank, you now know why they survived the K-T extinction. They sun themselves on land because the water will absorb the heat from their body so they will never get very warm. Because of that, their body stayed cool after the meteor impacted the earth. They were able to survive, while the dinosaurs and their eggs were literally cooked alive.

(cut and pasted)

Comment

erik morales looks likes a dinosaur

Comment

I thought this was common knowledge.

I knew that were always conflicting theories, but this was always the most commonly accepted.

Comment

I am also into Cosmology. Fascinating stuff.

Comment

And here i thought they dissapeared because one of the dinos made a black hole with his supercollider which transported all the dinosaurs 65 million and 12 years into the future....wait.....65 million and 12.....carry the one subtract the 6 divide by the half life of U238 HOLY CRAP they're going to return in 2 years!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X