Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mike Tyson: Exciting and explosive for sure, but not an ATG heavyweight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the definitions of an ATG fighter is being able to rise to the occasion against top opposition in a losing fight. As an example Ali did so multiple times. Holmes also. Tyson in any bout he was losing...lost. Tyson is the definition of a front runner. When you see him not rated very highly THIS is the reason.

Comment

Tyson was unlucky not to fight Holyfield and Lewis in the initial part of his career. He would have probably knocked out both of them, and we would not be here discussing if he is a great or a piece of junk.

Clue: hot debate and controversy are typical of greats, not wannabes.

Ultimately, Tyson has transcended the sport. That alone says it all.

Comment

Great yes. ATG.....no.

Comment

Originally posted by HOUDINI563 View Post
          Great yes. ATG.....no.
          If Houdini says it, then I agree!

Comment

Undisputed @22 says it all.
            I don't know if that feat can be repeated anytime soon.
            Hez definitely an ATG.

Comment

Lineal at 22 also, when he knocked out Michael Spinks.

Comment

Tyson was not hwt champion until he beat Spinks. None of the other titles he won previously did he beat a legitimate hwt champion.

Comment

Originally posted by tonysoprano View Post
                  He's an ATG for what he did up to the Spinks fight.

Everything after that lowers his status but shouldn't take away from what he did up to 88. He unified and cleaned out the HW division by the age of 22. You will never see anyone do that again.
                  exactly this..........

Comment

Tyson was 29 when he fought Holyfield I--that's prime age.
                    Holyfield was 34 and you could say most boxers are past prime at that age.

To me Tyson was great but not quite ATG due to losses to Douglas and to Holyfield.

One thing that also detracts about him for me is that the sport has rules and he fought quite dirty. When not seen by the ref, he'd smash his elbows and forearms into the opponent's face. He'd do low blows too and at least twice tried to dislocate his opponent's shoulder.

See Tyrell Biggs fight. I think sometimes the ref was too intimidated to deduct points or DQ him. See Tyson yank the ref to the ground when the ref was ending it vs Savarese. No penalty or DQ.

The sport has rules. You could kill someone with an elbow.

The man was a great boxer with tremendous speed and power in his punches and great speed in upper body movement. But those who wouldn't be bullied or who could take his punch or avoid them had his number.
                    Last edited by johnbook; 11-29-2018, 09:46 PM.

Comment

What does ATG really mean? Can anybody define it for me? It’s such a vague term.

Quantify it, somebody please. Top 10 heavyweight of all time? Top 20?

Qualify it, too. One of the 10 most fearsome and storied fighters of all time? Top 25?? Top 50??

For me, Iron Mike is an ATG because, at his best (i.e., with Rooney) he was an unprecedented buzzsaw of superfast twitching muscles throwing pee-your-pants combinations, previously unseen in the heavyweight division. Top 10 all-time, no problem.

Who beats prime Tyson? Maybe Ali, Foreman, Louis, Lewis, Bowe, super-PEDified Holyfield? Prime Liston?

Maybe. Also maybe not. Generally I’d say not for all but a very few — and that’s all I can say for anyone. Including Ali. Styles make fights.

Comment

Working...
                      X