No announcement yet.

Scoring fights: GGG's style makes his work underestimated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TonyGe View Post
    It's not just the punch it's also what the punch accomplishes. Golovkin's jab forced Canelo to retreat consistantly. Canelos power shots couldn't consistantly control Golovkin. He couldn't force Gennady to the ropes with his best punches. Ask yourself who spent more time with their back on the ropes. It was Canelo. Why?? One major reason was he couldn't deal with Golovkin's jab. Go and look at almost any Larry Holmes fight and see how important and effective a jab can be. Yeah ajab scores and yes a jab can count as much or more than a power punch if it accomplishes more.
    What the punch accomplishes? Lol

Comment

I felt the Jacobs fight was 116-111 GGG but can see a case for 115-112. Anything closer seems wrong and almost giving credit for Jacobs not getting dominated. I don't think anyone actually thinks he won but decided to say it and would always say GGG lost just because it went 12. I watched it live and have re-scored it twice and range from 16-11 to 112. I think if you score it poorly it's GGG 114-113.

The Canelo fight I had 115-113 live and re-watched it once scoring it 116-112. Again, people went with the GGG didn't win by KO therefore lost angle. I don't feel 114-114 is a terrible card though. It just required scoring a round somewhat poorly somewhere along the way and you've got a draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Loma#1 View Post
        Even that, it still shows Alvarez with a higher percentage accuracy than Golovkin in landed. No matter which stats we find online or through a network, Triple Gee did not beat Alvarez in accuracy. Therefore, Bummelo wasn’t recognized of a jab game in this fight. So his power shots alone still outweigh Triple Gee.

Even their stats have Gennady landing 5 more shots per round over Alvarez. So those were jabs yes? Why didn’t HBO easily just do highlights of all these jabs over Alvarez in their highlights video?

They can’t!

Again, the fight was a draw. People need to focus on adjustments in the rematch
        The breakdown of punch types (Jab, Hook, Cross or Uppercut) is in the first link.

Like I said, man. It's just a resource... you can take from it whatever you will and I'll not try to impose a narrative on it although I will point out that yours is not the only way to interpret the numbers there. And I can't pretend to know why HBO do what they do. If they'd chosen to create a highlights tape that made Golovkin appear in a more or less favourable light then of course they could have done so... again to argue over whether they did or not is to wade into a pointless morass of subjectivity.

I will agree with your closing sentiment though ... regardless of how any of us feel the first fight should have been scored the official result was a draw. Time to move on and focus on the rematch.

Comment

Originally posted by Koba-Grozny View Post
          The breakdown of punch types (Jab, Hook, Cross or Uppercut) is in the first link.

Like I said, man. It's just a resource... you can take from it whatever you will and I'll not try to impose a narrative on it although I will point out that yours is not the only way to interpret the numbers there. And I can't pretend to know why HBO do what they do. If they'd chosen to create a highlights tape that made Golovkin appear in a more or less favourable light then of course they could have done so... again to argue over whether they did or not is to wade into a pointless morass of subjectivity.

I will agree with your closing sentiment though ... regardless of how any of us feel the first fight should have been scored the official result was a draw. Time to move on and focus on the rematch.
          Yes. Fans need to take the first stats seriously and apply strategy in the rematch. Abel Sanchez never shows any mitt work of Triple Gee using a jab. It’s all just power shots. Yet people claim that in Triple Gees worse performance in jabs alone is the reason why Alvarez “ran.” Casualism

Comment

Originally posted by Loma#1 View Post
            What the punch accomplishes? Lol
            Yes, the effect of the punch. Hence the term effective aggression.

You can have all the aggression in the world, but if it has no effect, it's worthless

Comment

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
              Yes, the effect of the punch. Hence the term effective aggression.

You can have all the aggression in the world, but if it has no effect, it's worthless
              So therefore Bummelo’s higher powershots percentage, as in effective aggression, is why Triple Gee only threw jabs chasing Bummelo? If the powershots are justified then, then it was a good strategy by Bummelo with his effective aggression.

Nah, I rather saw it was a Draw because that’s what it really was.

Comment

Originally posted by Gigantes View Post
                lol they too were in on it
                When I saw that happen live, I did have a feeling that they were trying to help Golden Boy's narrative. I really did. And I'm not a Canelo hater or anything.

Comment

His style was never issue in scoring his fights before so I don't understand why it would be now.

I personally think he lost the Jacobs fight. I've been saying that since day one. At the very least he didn't perform well. I think the KD solidified it in everyone's mind that he won. I saw the fight differently. Jacobs controlled the fight for the most part. Golovkin fought cautiously early in each round and never let his hands go until late to try and steal rounds. Jacobs fought much better especially in the late rounds. By the late rounds most of his opponents were either knocked out or about to be knocked out. I think compubox had Golovkin landing more jabs and that gave him edge in the final stats. I saw one round where he landed a significant number of jabs. Other than the jabs were fairly equal.

I think he beat Canelo but again, he didn't perform well. He had a hard time landing anything on Canelo. The only time he had success was when Canelo went to the ropes. And still he hesitated to let his hands go. You can't blame the judges for not being impressed when he has his opponent cornered and won't let his hands. Especially when that's not his style of fighting.

I don't get why his style would be underestimated now when everyone was saying he is unbeatable.

Comment

Originally posted by BillyBoxing View Post
                    I'm thinking about the Nelo fight (draw heavily contested) and the Jacobs fight (a lot of people disagreed with the GGG UD win).

I thought GGG dominated both fights, technically and mentally.

I think GGG's problem is he's not an "eye catching punches" fighter and his defense is mainly about blocking punches. That's what made his dominance over Canelo and Jacobs not clear to a lot of people.

-Despite Nelo landing the best "highlights" punches in the fight, GGG overall did more damage, outlanded his opponent IMHO.

Good thing you put that IMHO at the end of your assessment, no way Golovkin inflicted more damage. What fight were you watching?

And Golovkin's defense is no defense. 30+ fights in and the man still can't defend against a basic uppercut. Not only did not land any eye catching shots, he hardly landed any shots against Canelo. Missed 70% of his powershots. Maybe you should take some distance and judge with your eyes instead of your heart.

Comment

Originally posted by HarvardBlue View Post
                      His style was never issue in scoring his fights before so I don't understand why it would be now.

I personally think he lost the Jacobs fight. I've been saying that since day one. At the very least he didn't perform well. I think the KD solidified it in everyone's mind that he won. I saw the fight differently. Jacobs controlled the fight for the most part. Golovkin fought cautiously early in each round and never let his hands go until late to try and steal rounds. Jacobs fought much better especially in the late rounds. By the late rounds most of his opponents were either knocked out or about to be knocked out. I think compubox had Golovkin landing more jabs and that gave him edge in the final stats. I saw one round where he landed a significant number of jabs. Other than the jabs were fairly equal.

I think he beat Canelo but again, he didn't perform well. He had a hard time landing anything on Canelo. The only time he had success was when Canelo went to the ropes. And still he hesitated to let his hands go. You can't blame the judges for not being impressed when he has his opponent cornered and won't let his hands. Especially when that's not his style of fighting.

I don't get why his style would be underestimated now when everyone was saying he is unbeatable.
                      Maybe because he was on a 20 fights like KO wining streak?

Comment

Working...
                      X