Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could Ronnie Coleman have been a good heavyweight boxer?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's right.

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      Or the NFL
      Or the NHL

Comment

Originally posted by The D3vil View Post
        Hell no, muscle bound men are the worst boxers. Anthony Joshua is an exception, not the rule.

I forget the boxing expert, I think it was Mike Silver who pointed at Ali & SRR's physiques and said that they had the perfect physiques for boxing because they were like male ballet dancers bodies, muscled, but not too much allowing for flexibility.
        Some huge men like Coleman have tried and failed. Stamina issues, slow as hell.
        Originally posted by ShoulderRoll View Post
        Ronnie would gas after the first round. Too much mass.
        Originally posted by jaded View Post
        Ronnie Coleman in his pre-hip replacement and back surgery days did not even walk with any kind of finesse yet alone be able to run or move like a boxer. Without even considering the stamina boxing requires or skill-set...guys like him are just not built for athleticism. AJ looks ordinary compared to Coleman. In the entire world there were/are only a handful of people built to that extreme...he was a freak.
        Or the NFL
        Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
        Coleman was the best at what he did and that has nothing to do with fighting. I don't know why people always feel the need to make these associations between muscles and boxing (maybe it's just a casual fan thing) but being large is not what gets you to the top of the HW division. Much in the same way, no HW boxer could ever hang with prime Coleman in a BB comp. It's just not what they are training for.
        coleman would be funny to watch in the ring. i'm sure his opponent would be scared of him but he'd be slow as hell and if he couldn't knock you out in the first 20 seconds it would be a long fight. i have watched video of coleman training, he loved lifting weights but that doesn't tell you much about what he's going to do when he gets hit.
        had coleman turned pro say 15 years ago, i could see someone like chris byrd or james toney getting a ref stoppage on him because of the speed and skill gap.

i think NFL or NHL players might make better boxers once they get used to the cardio level needed for boxing. a typical NHL hockey player is about 6-6'2" and around 200-220 lbs, to me that seems far better to make a boxer out of because they will still have some speed and endurance to last more than 2-3 rounds

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfBoxing View Post
          Or the NHL
          Good point.

Comment

Working...
          X