Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The last time a substitute opponent won a world title fight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't think of one in a big fight. And in lil fights I'm paying less attention to the late notice angle.

Vitali came CLOSE to beating Lennox on late notice back in the day. Same thing with Bert Cooper vs Holyfield.

Comment

Munguia was a replacement that crushed Ali

Comment

Originally posted by CinderelliMan View Post
        Munguia was a replacement that crushed Ali
        Good call, had forgotten that, Ali probably felt like the late sub once the fight started.

Comment

Munguía, dude.

Liam Smith was the rival.

Comment

Klitschko vs Lewis as a late replacement if I remember correctly was the most recent high profile fights can think of ?

Comment

Originally posted by MeanestNiceGuy View Post
              Actually, Khan/Peterson 2 was supposed to happen in May, not March.
              Of course it was my bad, Garcia-Morales 1 was March I think that must’ve been where I got March from😂

Comment

Originally posted by Kezzer View Post
                Klitschko vs Lewis as a late replacement if I remember correctly was the most recent high profile fights can think of ?
                Klitschko didn't beat him though.

Danny Garcia is a good shout in this thread. Sure he got a full camp, but Ruiz is getting solid amount of time himself. Got in camp last week I would think since he knew he was being mentioned as a candidate to replace Miller and he is just coming off a fight.

Pacquiao obviously is another good one.

Comment

Originally posted by RJJ-94-02=GOAT View Post
                  Of course it was my bad, Garcia-Morales 1 was March I think that must’ve been where I got March from😂
                  Welp, since you're talking about Garcia/Morales.....remember the Kirkland/Molina fight kicked off the card?

Remember when Molina WORKED Kirkland the whooooole fight and ended up dropping Molina late and the ref DQ'd Molina because his corner jumped in the ring before the count even took place?

LOL

Hiiiiiilarious!

Comment

Originally posted by MeanestNiceGuy View Post
                    Welp, since you're talking about Garcia/Morales.....remember the Kirkland/Molina fight kicked off the card?

Remember when Molina WORKED Kirkland the whooooole fight and ended up dropping Molina late and the ref DQ'd Molina because his corner jumped in the ring before the count even took place?

LOL

Hiiiiiilarious!
                    Yeah that was a BS stoppage/DQ. The round had finished anyway when the cornerman got in the ring. Molina was outboxing Kirkland as well that night.

It kinda worked in Molina’s favour though, that fight got him a high ranking with the IBF and as we know he went on to win a final eliminator and then defeated Ishe Smith for the title on a Mayweather undercard.

Comment

Gradovich beating Billy Dib the first time around

Comment

Working...
                      X