No announcement yet.

Kovalev vs Simakov - The night where Kovalev killed a man in the ring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kovalev vs Simakov - The night where Kovalev killed a man in the ring

Last night this fight just appeared on my youtube recommendations. I wasn't even aware this was the fight where Kovalev's opponent was killed.

While I was watching the fight, I thought the first round was competitive and I could see some flaws in Kovalev's game. He got hit a few times.

After the second round he started to dominate. At the fourth round I thought... this is nonsense, they can already stop this fight. Simakov has no chance.

After three more rounds, in the seventh, he collapses and enters into a comma.

Kovalev couldn't sleep that night. He cried and went to the church with his wife praying for Simakov's life. But nothing could be done.

Simakov died three days later in the hospital. It is said Kovalev donated money to his family afterwards.

Who's to blame? three answers.

Simakov's corner. They could have stopped this fight two rounds earlier.
    The ref. He could have done something. Maybe go to Simakov corner between rounds and try to stop the fight. Simakov was throwing punches, but he was taking a beating.
    Boxing fans, that call fighters "quitters" when they don't want to fight anymore.

Equal parts blame to the ref, corner and ring doctor. Same could be said for the Magomed Abdusalamov fight, nobody did their jobs.

It's such a disgrace now for a fighter to quit, which is fine if the people entrusted with the task of looking after the fighter's safety are on the job.

Comment

Incredibly sad, side note Its Weird seeing Abel sanchez in kovalevs corner

Comment

And Deontay Wilder WANTS, thats right WANTS that to happen to one of his opponents. Cuz he thinks it would be a cool thing to do.

Comment

Originally posted by DaNeutral. View Post
          And Deontay Wilder WANTS, thats right WANTS that to happen to one of his opponents. Cuz he thinks it would be a cool thing to do.
          You know better than that.

Asked in the ring what he said to his opponent, Wilder replied: “I just told Breazeale — I told him I love him, and, of course, I want to see him go home to his family.
          Granted, Wilder's comments before the fight were lame but it was only his misguided attempt to sell the fight.

Comment

_Maxi, 4truth There is actually a great short documentary about this:

Comment

Originally posted by Vlad_ View Post
              _Maxi, 4truth There is actually a great short documentary about this:

Yes, I saw it too last night.

Comment

Originally posted by _Maxi View Post
                Last night this fight just appeared on my youtube recommendations. I wasn't even aware this was the fight where Kovalev's opponent was killed.

While I was watching the fight, I thought the first round was competitive and I could see some flaws in Kovalev's game. He got hit a few times.

After the second round he started to dominate. At the fourth round I thought... this is nonsense, they can already stop this fight. Simakov has no chance.

After three more rounds, in the seventh, he collapses and enters into a comma.

Kovalev couldn't sleep that night. He cried and went to the church with his wife praying for Simakov's life. But nothing could be done.

Simakov died three days later in the hospital. It is said Kovalev donated money to his family afterwards.

Who's to blame? three answers.

Simakov's corner. They could have stopped this fight two rounds earlier.
                The ref. He could have done something. Maybe go to Simakov corner between rounds and try to stop the fight.
                Simakov was throwing punches, but he was taking a beating.
                Boxing fans, that call fighters "quitters" when they don't want to fight anymore.

yo no one gives a crap. as sad as it is, Russians don't know how to handle stuff in boxing. just watch how Kostya Tszyu, didnt do ****, while Lebedev was losing his eye. after that night, I lost all respect to Tszyu. guy could of have brain damage for rest of his life and could of lost his eye, but no. show must go on.

Comment

Working...
                X