Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How broken was Kell Brook when Spence fought him?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How broken was Kell Brook when Spence fought him?

I know he took tons of clean hard shots from GGG, but don't remember exactly how bad the beating was, only that his eye socket was shattered and stuff.

So was he at like 80% when he fought Spence? 70% of his pre GGG self maybe?

Originally posted by Eddy Current View Post
    I know he took tons of clean hard shots from GGG, but don't remember exactly how bad the beating was, only that his eye socket was shattered and stuff.

Hard to tell. The eye socket that Golovkin broke was on the opposite side. He may have a weak facial bone structure or Golovkin damaged both sides. Brooke put up a good fight so let's give Spense credit for stopping him.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddy Current View Post

Kell Brook looked quite fine physically. I think Mentally once the idea of quitting was introduced during the GGG fight it was easier to do it against Spence when he was going through adversity.

Comment

It was a good win after a good performance by Spence so i wouldnt want to take that away from him, the eye socket situation clearly put an end to Kels competitiveness in that fight but in my opinion the tide was already turning so if he hadnt of had the eye problem i dont want to say he would of beaten Spence cuz i felt like Spence was already taking control of the fight.

I think we have to give Spence his props for beating Brook more than talking about how broken Brook was cuz Brook certainly did not start that fight like a broken man.

Comment

Brook was definitely broken and his career was never the same. It was like a bad joke to put him in with Golovkin in the first place.

I think a healthy brook would have given Spence a better fight, and I think he would have won too.

Comment

Kell Brook's claim to fame is beating Porter. Who suppossedly is a bum. It's a whole weird paradox. We dont know where Kell was, because outside of Porter he never fought anyone in his life. I'm definitely not about to watch Brook vs the typical bums he made his career off, he suppssedly had a real tough fight vs Carson Jones tho. What seems to be the case usually is a fighter coming off a devestating loss and coming down whatever Brook came down never bodes well jumping straight into another big fight. There needs to be a period of confidence building, reacclimating etc.

What really lost Brook that fight was that he starting to puff fumes by the 4th.
            Last edited by SplitSecond; 09-27-2019, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
              Kell Brook's claim to fame is beating Porter. Who suppossedly is a bum. It's a whole weird paradox. We dont know where Kell was, because outside of Porter he never fought anyone in his life. I'm definitely not about to watch Brook vs the typical bums he made his career off, he suppssedly had a real tough fight vs Carson Jones tho. What seems to be the case usually is a fighter coming off a devestating loss and coming down whatever Brook came down never bodes well jumping straight into another big fight. There needs to be a period of confidence building, reacclimating etc.

What really lost Brook that fight was that he starting to puff fumes by the 4th.
              I thought he lost the first carson jones fight but that was on the come up he reformed after that and showed much improved fitness which was amicable
              His career is ridiculously padded though and I also wo uldnt of had an issue if porter was awarded a close sd when they fought. He was away from home and didn't really stamp his authority much, a lot of holding like galahad vs Warrington, must be the ingle way.
              But brook was not in great condition after the ggg fight, he dropped down to 147 again from 160+ to defend against a top guy in Spence, he never fought at 147 again so i think that shows something and he obviously didn't get a get back fight before facing Spence he went straight from facial destruction vs GGG into the spence defence , once he was hurt the writing was on the wall, you've got to question his fitness after blowing up and melting back down again also and durability. He gave Spence a hell of a fight. I'm thinking maybe Spence is possibly overrated he needs to dominate porter to live up to the hype for me.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingTrav View Post
                Kell Brook looked quite fine physically. I think Mentally once the idea of quitting was introduced during the GGG fight it was easier to do it against Spence when he was going through adversity.
                Originally posted by SplitSecond View Post
                Originally posted by SuperSuperLeeds View Post
                I'm thinking maybe Spence needs to dominate porter to live up to the hype for me.
                Good posts guys.

My 2 cents is that the weight jump/cut would have affected Kell somewhat, especially late in the fight...I thought Spence was the better man pretty much the whole way when I watched the fight, but many think it was very close/Brook was ahead before he started to gas out...the weight cut probably killed his chances of really giving Spence a good run.

And the eye situation obviously hurt him...hard to say if GGG did all that damage and Spence just opened the other side up, or if Brook is just naturally weak/unlucky up there...I would tend to go with the former scenario, since I think we would have seen some evidence of Brook's issues before the GGG fight if they were there...going up 13 pounds and facing a big puncher at MW just ended up being a costly decision for his career unfortunately.

So yeah I would say at the beginning of the fight, he was 100% of what he would have been...but once the weight cut and eye injury started to come into play, he was obviously somewhat below that...hard to put a percentage on it imo...he may have ended up gassing late against Spence anyway...but I don't think the eye injury would have caused him to quit/would have happened like that if GGG never happened.

I think it would have been a great fight vs Spence if Brook never went up to face GGG...but still would have favored Spence...Brook just probably would have been able to finish the fight and would have lost 8-4 or 7-5 imo.

Comment

You have to give Spence his credit for the Brook win. His orbital bone was 100% damaged from the GGG fight but that isn't Spence's fault. He landed enough punches to do damage.

It was a good and close fight, I would love to see it again at 154 though to see if Brook could adjust as I think he has more skills.

Comment

Not going to take anything away from Spence, he wasn't at the level he is now when he fought Brook in the UK. He was younger and left his comfort zone to fight someone who has never lost at 147. Give him that credit, whether Brook was broken or not from the GGG is difficult to tell, but it definitely didn't help fighting GGG at 160 then going to 147 to fight spence.

Comment

Working...
                    X