Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what age do you consider a boxer in their prime?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No excuses

No excuses May 2, 2015

Comment

I think physically they peak around 27 years in terms of their full potential strength from then its mastering their craft and using the prime days of their career to dominate and grow.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERBX View Post
        No excuses May 2, 2015
        PAc is past prime to shot.

Comment

Originally posted by LoadedWraps View Post
          There is no age cutoff, a prime isn't about age as much as it is about their peak all around as a fighter, and it can't be really measured until they are beyond it, because we won't be able to see a fighters maximum level until they decline from it.
          I agree with u to an extent. I think all men peak at different ages, athletes I think younger than non athletes. Imo athletes peak in a smaller age range, of about 3 years probably between 27-30 or 28-31 while non athletes probably range about 5yrs between 28-33. Either way I still think boxers are peaking later than generations past.

Comment

Originally posted by chargerhemi06 View Post
            At about 30-32 years of age. Once they hit their peak it's a small window and then it's a slow steady decline. Manny and Floyd are perfect examples. Manny was 30 when he had his best performance against cotto. Floyd had his best performance against Shane Mosley. After that they started looking like chit each fight.
            wow man did you just start watching boxing?? neither were their best performances

Comment

Prime is not determined by age, it is determined by skill

Comment

Generally speaking in boxing the men at the lower weights tend to reach their max performances quicker than the bigger men.
                However todays boxer fight very few bouts to reach their potental so the ages have increased dramaticly compared to 25 to 75 years ago.
                Koval is a champion with less than 25 bouts and I think Gaspar Ortega had 25 bouts in one year out of his prime!!!
                Wlad has 60 bouts and is over 36yrs but hasn't really taxed his body fighting more than twice a year.
                Every fighter has different circumstances but the most telling observation is the quality of the opponents faced and how often they indulge.

Ray

Comment

Nothing has changed as far as the way humans age. The average boxer is at his strongest and fastest with the best reflexes at about age 25 to age 30. After age 30 they slowly go down hill. That's average and each fighter is different. It may seem like boxers are in their prime later these days but physically it's still the same. Some boxers start so late that even when they are physically in their prime at that same 25 to 30 years old they lack the boxing experience to be their best. Boxers used to start much younger and turn pro much younger and become champion much younger. Duran, Trinidad, Mayweather, De La Hoya, Pacquiao, Tyson and others all started fighting when they were kids. They were all world champs by age 21 or younger.

Comment

Prime is not about age. Prime is when all your faculties come together. Some boxers prime at a younger age (Tyson and Patterson) while some prime much older ( Lewis and Hopkins, Glen johnson, etc)

Comment

Its up to the fighter everyone is different ranging from genetics ,trainers,style, ,and mentality to name a few variables ...prime is also not age its a specific time period when you are at your best.Often times most fans forget a fighters prime usually doesnt last more then around 5 years .

Comment

Working...
                      X