Boxing Forum
Navigation
Go Back   Boxing Forum > Boxing Forums > Boxing History

Old 03-02-2012, 02:07 PM #1
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 128,269,619,408.25
Total Points: 128,470,911,773.17
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples
Default the most skilled boxers of all time?

And let me define skill: not someone who made other boxers look foolish with physical attributes, but rather, take their speed away would they still dominate?

Pernell Whitaker
Archie Moore
Joe Walcott
James Toney
Mike Mccallum
Juan Manuel Marquez
Julio Cesar Chavez
Nicolino Loche (sp)
Wilfredo Benitez

watch Jones Deteriorate once his speed and legs left him, Ali's defense game as well looked very mediocre as he slowed down, winning fights on heart. Even Mayweather depends a lot on his speed, These men are all skilled but aren't half of what they would be if they lost their physical prowess.

So basically, skills only thread

Anyways, I couldn't find a more skilled boxer than Pernell Whitaker, even fighting prime ATG ww's past his prime and way above his starting weight class, he was still damn near un - hittable and showed his counter punching abilities. James Toney is another, like a cleaner but smaller version of Joe Walcott. Being an overweight 5'10 middleweight beating up heavyweights. Pure skill.

Slick doesn't convert to skill always, although NSB would argue. Skill is the ability to:
- not telegraphing, throwing a punch cleanly without any loading, giving no indication (ever wonder why Margarito landed on Cotto yet he was so slow? and comeback Foremans Jab?)
- ring general ship, spinning your opponent and putting yourself in your punching range not his, as well as controlling the pace
- unpredictability, not telegraphing on a larger scale, your opponent doesn't know what you will do (see Duran vs SRL 1)
- accuracy and placement of punches (aiming for the chin, eyes, liver, sternum not just the head and sides of the body)
- as well as vision and keeping a certain poise at all times (Marquez is very good at this) some of this comes with experience others are naturally good at this.

- Counter punching: basically, when your opponent has his hands up he's harder to hit because he's ready to defend, when he tries to punch you, he's giving you an opening once his hand leaves his guard, a great counter puncher will be able to capitalize on this. Best counter right hand I've ever seen? Roberto Duran. runner up: James Toney, FMJ

- setting up your opponent:
The simple form is going to the body early, getting him to bring his hands down once the body start feeling the pain, then finishing up stairs late. More intricate things can be done, such as throwing a left hook to split his guard and throwing a cross in the opening. Or banging a right upper cut and catching his head with a left hook as it pops up. Tyson hitting behind the elbow to bring the guard back, shooting an upper cut up the pipe as the guard splits.

Feel free to add. These are all things you see professionals employing

Pernell Whitaker has all these + speed. Brutal combo.

Chavez had most of these as well and Mccallum, they weren't as quick though.
them_apples is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<
Old 03-02-2012, 03:25 PM #2
BoxingScene Icon

Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 158,251,757,590,299,049,984.00
Total Points: 158,252,786,810,415,480,832.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 ATG Boxingscene Poster - JohnnyRebel Im glad you learned how to use internet Grandpa - Canelo and GGG 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

What would Pernell Whitaker be without his natural ability though?

His defensive ability relied on reflexes just like Mayweather's does.
IronDanHamza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 03:44 PM #3
Interim Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
raf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond reputeraf727 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 593,014,994,055.54
Total Points: 593,015,002,433.32
kick this bum - Freedom. Have a beer! - Barnburner Anyone that gets a kick me from Freedom, is ok with me. - RossCA No Message - RossCA Thanks for the green - Boxing Goat 

I love how people say 'natural ability', or 'physical attributes', or whatever. People act like RJJ wasn't doing crazy training since he was a child, or James Toney wasn't studying mad Ezzard Charles tapes and other old timers. Natural ability, Athleticism? Yes. They also had a determination to be the best, to learn the game, and train with a chip on their shoulder.

RJJ wasn't just some freakishly physically gifted man.
raf727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:11 PM #4
TheTartanSoldier

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 763,984,171,160,681.88
Total Points: 399,699,968,084,083,648.00
Top Bloke! - mickey malone For your knowledge of boxing - sigrab jr Hell of a poster, very generous - BigStereotype the champ is here - New England wisdom - House of Stone 
For generosity and top posts! - Sugarj medal for your videos - New England The Greatest Vid : Barney the Great - McGoorty Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A 
4 the uploads! - chiguy91 For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 For the massive amount of points given - MindBat You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS 
Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 For the help buddy - Badzi87 You a Scot,Me a English and this lucky clover from Ireland.Best of luck m8. - HughGlass 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

Joe Louis!
Ezzard Charles!
Roberto Duran!
Jose Napoles!
Kid Gavilan!
Ray Robinson!
Marvin Hagler!
Thomas Hearns!
Ray Robinson!
Ray Leonard!
Barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 PM #5
BoxingScene Icon

Quoted: 3076 Post(s)
IronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond reputeIronDanHamza has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 158,251,757,590,299,049,984.00
Total Points: 158,252,786,810,415,480,832.00
One of the best posters on the site. - Barnburner medal of honor - New England For ur award winning thread buddy - The Surgeon For getting more than 80% on my quiz. - Barnburner Super-Poster - McGoorty 
You have excellent boxing knowledge keep sharing! - rorymac Prize for thread contributions - McGoorty Merry Crimbo - The Surgeon for the facts... - Alx. Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil 
Cool dude - BoxingGenius27 Happy New Year - Freedom. on the house... - mathed IronDanHamza knows boxing! - LoadedWraps Your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 
your unconditional love for Floyd - Freedom2014 ATG Boxingscene Poster - JohnnyRebel Im glad you learned how to use internet Grandpa - Canelo and GGG 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - New England Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Barnburner Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - Barnburner 

Quote:
Originally Posted by raf727 View Post
I love how people say 'natural ability', or 'physical attributes', or whatever. People act like RJJ wasn't doing crazy training since he was a child, or James Toney wasn't studying mad Ezzard Charles tapes and other old timers. Natural ability, Athleticism? Yes. They also had a determination to be the best, to learn the game, and train with a chip on their shoulder.

I agree.

My post was in response to that and the ranking of Whitaker but not Roy Jones, Ali or Mayweather etc etc.

I think Whitaker's defenses relies on reflexes also.

Obviously not entirely or as much as say Roy Jones but without reflexes he wouldn't have been able to get out of the way like he did.
IronDanHamza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:23 PM #6
TheTartanSoldier

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Barn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond reputeBarn has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 763,984,171,160,681.88
Total Points: 399,699,968,084,083,648.00
Top Bloke! - mickey malone For your knowledge of boxing - sigrab jr Hell of a poster, very generous - BigStereotype the champ is here - New England wisdom - House of Stone 
For generosity and top posts! - Sugarj medal for your videos - New England The Greatest Vid : Barney the Great - McGoorty Keep up the top notch vids - JAB5239 To another of a select group of real boxing fans who really know their boxing history! - Terry A 
4 the uploads! - chiguy91 For you epic break down of Oreo's, and the Mayan calendar. lmaooooooooo - Sweet Pea 50 For the massive amount of points given - MindBat You're going to need it to beat me. - D-MiZe victory is sweet , rigotard and proud!! - HUGH JASS 
Rigonation badge of honor! - dan_cov your first post in the weed thread barn! , i know you don't smoke , keep it that way young one!! - HUGH JASS Boxingscene Chat room :fing02: - jose830 For the help buddy - Badzi87 You a Scot,Me a English and this lucky clover from Ireland.Best of luck m8. - HughGlass 
Lou Gehrig's Disease (ALS) - NChristo Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Childhood Cancer - NChristo Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - NChristo Hepatitis C - NChristo 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - NChristo Eating Disorders - Esophageal Cancer - Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease - Irritable Bowel Syndrome - Pulmonary Hypertension - NChristo Male Breast Cancer - Pregnancy Loss - Infant Loss - Sudden Infant Death - NChristo Autism - NChristo Emphysema - Lung Cancer - Lung Disease - Multiple Sclerosis - NChristo 
Cultural Diversity - Hunger - Leukemia - Lupus - Melanoma - Racial Tolerance - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome - Self Injury - NChristo Myasthenia Gravis - Ovarian Cancer - Sexual Assault - Substance Abuse - NChristo Hodgkin's Disease - Testicular Cancer - NChristo Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - NChristo World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - arraamis 
Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - chiguy91 Adoptee - Bone Cancer - Child Exploitation and Abuse - Hope and Support - Peace - Retinoblastoma - Right to Life - Student Sexual Assault - codey Bone Marrow Donation - Childhood Depression - Depression - Environment - Eye Injury Prevention - Glaucoma - Kidney Cancer - Kidney Disease - Kidney Transplantation - Leukemia - Lyme Disease - Mental Retardation - Missing Children - Organ Donation - T - codey Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - codey Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - Daniel Alpha 

Quote:

Hard work can only get you so far though. These guys were blessed with a certain ability to box.
Barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 04:53 PM #7
Undisputed Champion

them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronDanHamza View Post
I agree.

My post was in response to that and the ranking of Whitaker but not Roy Jones, Ali or Mayweather etc etc.

I think Whitaker's defenses relies on reflexes also.

Obviously not entirely or as much as say Roy Jones but without reflexes he wouldn't have been able to get out of the way like he did.
well clearly. But you are missing my point, he still would have been an excellent defensive boxer without speed. Take away Jones speed and what was left? Mayweather is a bit of both. Not quite to the extreme of Jones, but his defense is purely based on the quickness he can anticipate his shoulder roll. He's been getting hit more than we have ever seen him hit as of late, even in his last fight that he won.

Whitaker was well past his prime taking on a prime DLH. He was still un touchable. I don't know if the triangle theory works with defense but DLH landed a hell of a lot more on Mayweather, who I consider in his prime.

Last edited by them_apples; 03-02-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Old 03-02-2012, 04:54 PM #8
Undisputed Champion

Quote:

in the sport of boxing, if you are considered possibly the fastest boxer of all time, or to date, you are a freakish athlete.
Old 03-02-2012, 06:08 PM #9
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
PureBoxingCEO has a reputation beyond reputePureBoxingCEO has a reputation beyond reputePureBoxingCEO has a reputation beyond reputePureBoxingCEO has a reputation beyond reputePureBoxingCEO has a reputation beyond reputePureBoxingCEO has a reputation beyond reputePureBoxingCEO has a reputation beyond reputePureBoxingCEO has a reputation beyond reputePureBoxingCEO has a reputation beyond reputePureBoxingCEO has a reputation beyond reputePureBoxingCEO has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 228,850,778,370,485.62
Total Points: 230,850,778,440,041.81
for a good poster - mellow_mood Great post - madmadworld nice betting with you bro. - chiguy91 Tito' Trinidad...favorite boxer! - jose830 thanks for the payment...I appreciate that comment :fing02: - -jose- 
no problem home - -jose- I meant to say: no problem homie - -jose- Thanks for the payment, cheers bro. - Tyler_Durden 
Arthritis - Child Abuse - Colon Cancer - Colorectal Cancer - Dystonia - Education - Free Speech - Interstitial Cystitis - ME/CFIDS - Reye's Syndrome - Save the Music - Teens Against Smoking - Victim's Rights - Water Quality - jazluvr 

Men, where is HOPKINS in that list?? he is not speedy, doesnt have powerful hands. He's game relies purely on tactical defense ( not laying on reflexes like Jones Jr) and his counter-punches are sharp! He beats people up on intelligence, pure master of boxing.
PureBoxingCEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 06:35 PM #10
Undisputed Champion

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
DarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond reputeDarkTerror88 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 135,677,851.80
Good Poster! You need a medal. - "Marvelous" thanks - Toney616 ;) - rorymac In Remembrance..... Smokin' Joe - McGoorty Merry Christmas - The Surgeon 
World Trade Center Victims and Heroes - Fireworks Safety - "Marvelous" Mourning - Anti-Gang - Melanoma - "Marvelous" 

Ezzard Charles should be at or near the very top of this list.
Technically solid and exceptional in every area of the game.
DarkTerror88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Share This With Friends

Tags
boxers, skilled, time?

User Tag List