Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Skipper, head of Perform Group (DAZN), left ESPN because of cocaine use

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Skipper, head of Perform Group (DAZN), left ESPN because of cocaine use

Just a fun fact for the DAZN fans.
    https://money.cnn.com/2018/03/15/med...ine/index.html
    Former ESPN President John Skipper said he resigned from his role because of a cocaine extortion plot, according to comments he made in an exclusive interview with The Hollywood Reporter.
    In the interview, Skipper talked about how he used cocaine and had always been careful about his usage. However, a lapse of judgment led to Skipper's decision to buy cocaine from a new source, which had big consequences.

"They threatened me, and I understood immediately that threat put me and my family at risk, and this exposure would put my professional life at risk as well," Skipper said. "I foreclosed that possibility by disclosing the details to my family, and then when I discussed it with Bob, he and I agreed that I had placed the company in an untenable position and as a result, I should resign."
    For the first time in decades, John Skipper spearheaded a launch event for a sports network that has nothing to do with ESPN.

The longtime former president at the Disney-owned sports mainstay took the stage today as executive chairman of Perform Group (see video below). Perform’s service, DAZN (pronounced “da zone”), operates in several countries around the world and will hit U.S. shores on September 10. The leading edge of its $10-a-month service initially will be boxing and MMA, with more than 70 matches courtesy of partnerships with Matchroom Boxing U.S.A., Bellator MMA and the World Boxing Super Series.
    https://deadline.com/2018/07/john-sk...ch-1202428058/

So if you ever wonder why they gave Eddie Hearn a billion dollar "war chest" for DAZN, remember that the man behind DAZN is a crackhead.

A coke head..but ok. Im sure theres veey very few sober ppl in any business at that level lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Steven Mccowan View Post
      A coke head..but ok. Im sure theres veey very few sober ppl in any business at that level lol.
      sorry i'm not a degenerate drug user. not familiar with the nomenclature.

Comment

Plenty of "these kind of people" run highly operative and successful businesses.

The Wolf of Wall Street.

Comment

Lol @ people making excuses for the guy. This isn't the late 70's/early 80's where coke usage is in style. DAZN seems to be a series of disappointments and there's this weird fanbase that tries to normalize it all.

Comment

Change your name to John Sniffer.

Comment

Originally posted by AKAcronym View Post
              Change your name to John Sniffer.
              No wonder DAZN has picked up the WBSS, Skipper and Kalle probably bonded on a coke binge

Comment

Skipper was a controversial guy during his run at ESPN... a lot of people were more than happy to see him go.

I think DAZN is doomed no matter who is at the helm, but what do I know?

Comment

Originally posted by Accolade View Post
                  Just a fun fact for the DAZN fans.
                  https://money.cnn.com/2018/03/15/med...ine/index.html

https://deadline.com/2018/07/john-sk...ch-1202428058/

So if you ever wonder why they gave Eddie Hearn a billion dollar "war chest" for DAZN, remember that the man behind DAZN is a crackhead.
                  Or alternatively a man who was able to rise to the top of an ultra competitive world and control a business worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by Holler View Post
                    Or alternatively a man who was able to rise to the top of an ultra competitive world and control a business worth hundreds of millions of dollars.
                    Clearly not, as he's out now.
                    Any number of people have made quick fortunes and found themselves in positions of prominence but keeping it is another thing entirely.

Comment

Working...
                    X