Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Roy Jones vs this era's best Super Middleweights, how would he have performed?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

o brother not again! we all know the answer, no need to ask again!!

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
      Yeah but I think it will come down to the mental game.

Would Roy get frustrated by the way Dirrell won't stand in front of him and box him? Making Roy chase him around the ring.

While Ward. How would Roy react when he is being jab-clinched? Probably taking a headbutt or two in the process.

That's why I think they would beat him. He has the athleticism but the mental game. To accept not getting what you want, when you want it. I don't think Roy would be pleased with fighting them.
      One thing Jones had on his side in his prime was a mental edge....you could see the confidence oozing out of him. Dude looked so relaxed in the ring....When fighters tried rough tactics and other things he'd do them back and resume popping them in the face

Roy Jones even in his last great effort and past prime against Tarver showed he had guts to dig deep when what he was trying wasnt working

He showed win in with a counterpuncher, he could take the lead and still land....against Tarver, Hopkins, Toney and Hill

Comment

Originally posted by check hook View Post
        I seriously can't believe what i read on these forums at times.
        Seriously cuz. But this isn't Ward vs Toney.

This is Roy vs. Ward.

I keep reading about what Roy "hasn't seen". What about what Andre Ward hasn't seen?

He has not faced a boxer with the athleticism, handspeed and power that Roy Jones possesses. He hasn't seen a guy that will circle the ring, throw double and triple left hooks, constantly moving away from him. Andre Ward's resume consists of:

Edison Miranda
        Mikell Kessler
        Allan Green
        Sakio Bika
        Arthur Abraham
        Carl Froch

All those fighters stand in front of him and allow him to beat them up on the inside, clinch and frustrate them. Why would Roy Jones even TRY to make this fight on the inside in the first place? Toney and Hopkins tried to do just that. Jones circled the ring, gave them constant head movement, kept the fight on the outside and doubled and tripled his jabs and hooks, countered beautifly and basically coasted through both fights.

You can't assume Ward can automatically adjust to Jones style, but not the other way around. Jones has seen more fighters in the Ward mold than the other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Corners View Post
          Why would Toney be an absolute favorite to beat Ward????

Better chin, better power, better inside fighter, better outside fighter. Why wouldn't he be. Ward couldn't even try to spoil Toney inside.

Comment

Originally posted by F l i c k e r View Post
            Ward and Dirrell beat him.

Ward is smarter.

Dirrell doesn't fight directly, he sticks and moves. It would frustrate the hell out of Roy and he'd likely end up over reaching for shots, leaving himself vulnerable.
            We've never seen Roy have to be the bull... would've been interesting. It would not have been his strong suit against a fighter as talented as Dirrell (who's speed is as close to Roy as it gets at 168), who'd have the height and reach advantage also.
            Originally posted by PBP View Post
            How would Andre Ward vs RJJ be any different than the Hopkins and Toney fights?
            Perhaps because Ward is an inside fighter (unlike B-Hop), has the mentality to make it an inside fight (unlike Toney, who's arrogance doesn't allow him to realize when he's outgunned and needs to do something different), and has the tools to accomplish these tasks.

Their ability to switch stances is another factor that'd make it interesting.

Comment

I can't see any one of the Super 6 fighters, who were better than the Hopkins and Toney that Jones fought. Current Ward is not better than 1993 Bernard Hopkins.

Mike McCallum that Jones fought, would have come down in weight, and possibly been a semi-finalists in the Super 6.

Comment

Originally posted by therealpugilist View Post
                One thing Jones had on his side in his prime was a mental edge....you could see the confidence oozing out of him. Dude looked so relaxed in the ring....When fighters tried rough tactics and other things he'd do them back and resume popping them in the face

Roy Jones even in his last great effort and past prime against Tarver showed he had guts to dig deep when what he was trying wasnt working

He showed win in with a counterpuncher, he could take the lead and still land....against Tarver, Hopkins, Toney and Hill

That's the intangibles about Dirrell and Ward though. They make even the most composed of boxers, get frustrated.

Abraham isn't Roy but he is one of the most composed people in and out of the ring. Yet, Dirrell got to him to the point where he threw punches after he fell.

I see it like this. If Roy won, it'd have to be a ridiculous punch. Something that just makes people's jaws drop.

If Ward won, people would say he fought dirty and boring. While Dirrell, it would be him running away all fight.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
                  Seriously cuz. But this isn't Ward vs Toney.

This is Roy vs. Ward.

I keep reading about what Roy "hasn't seen". What about what Andre Ward hasn't seen?

He has not faced a boxer with the athleticism, handspeed and power that Roy Jones possesses. He hasn't seen a guy that will circle the ring, throw double and triple left hooks, constantly moving away from him. Andre Ward's resume consists of:

Edison Miranda
                  Mikell Kessler
                  Allan Green
                  Sakio Bika
                  Arthur Abraham
                  Carl Froch

All those fighters stand in front of him and allow him to beat them up on the inside, clinch and frustrate them. Why would Roy Jones even TRY to make this fight on the inside in the first place? Toney and Hopkins tried to do just that. Jones circled the ring, gave them constant head movement, kept the fight on the outside and doubled and tripled his jabs and hooks, countered beautifly and basically coasted through both fights.

You can't assume Ward can automatically adjust to Jones style, but not the other way around. Jones has seen more fighters in the Ward mold than the other way around.
                  I didn't say Ward would beat Roy prime for prime, I don't think he would. But I think he would be the only one to seriously compete.

I said I think Ward would be able to beat Toney at 168. I liked Toney the most at 160.

Comment

There is no way in hell ANY of these guys from today's era, including Calslappy, Ward, Dirrel, etc would have a prayer against a prime RJJ. Ward would get outworked through superior timing, speed, counter punching and controlled aggression. It would frustrate Ward so much that his grabbing, head butting, inside garbage would be a non factor that I am sure we'd see a systematic beat down and perhaps late round stoppage. Direll's supposedly slick style (I'm not drinking the cool aid on this guy at all) would be a cakewalk for Jones, who feasted on boxer/counterpuncher types.

I know that once Jone's fell off early this decade, he fell off. But there is no disputing that in his prime, he was a bit of an untouchable. Truly a remarkable fighter. His performance against Montell Griffith in the rematch still gives me shivers and that Jones on that night, steam rolls any of these guys today.

Comment

I will lay it out for everyone plain and simple, the current guys at 68 have no hope of beating RJJ at that weighclass. PLEASE STOP! You are all embarrassing yourselves. The same applies for James Toney.

Comment

Working...
                      X