No announcement yet.

How do you box a taller southpaw ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you box a taller southpaw ?

Im 5'6 (orthodox) and my opponent is 5'8 (Southpaw) .. Do you have any moves that is effective on getting in the pocket ??I always do my right hand but the problem is i cant punch a lot coz im being outbalance after i throw a lead right cross , ..And its like im always in his kill zone !

first, position yourself so that your left foot is outside his right foot. this will, if need be, allow you to escape towards his back if your right hand misses. proper foot position is vital in control of the ring against the southpaw.

second, i know the common thought is that the straight right is the best punch against a southpaw. let us say that this is true and that you can hit your opponent solidly with it as much as you land hard jabs that throw their head back, not that high of a percentage already, now...do you throw anything else after that jab?

after setting up your straight right through movement, foot position, feints and setting/ breaking patterns, put a left hook after it. this often comes from a southpaw's blind spot and helps your balance as you pivot off the hook, creating a new angle of attack.

i would also recommend that you don't completely do away with your jab. jab stepping in while trying to gain outside foot position a couple of times to see how he handles it. do it a couple of times to create a pattern and, if you see his reaction leaves an opening for it, start throwing lead left hooks with, at least, another punch or two behind it.

Comment

Originally posted by purecyse View Post
      first, position yourself so that your left foot is outside his right foot. this will, if need be, allow you to escape towards his back if your right hand misses. proper foot position is vital in control of the ring against the southpaw.

second, i know the common thought is that the straight right is the best punch against a southpaw. let us say that this is true and that you can hit your opponent solidly with it as much as you land hard jabs that throw their head back, not that high of a percentage already, now...do you throw anything else after that jab?

after setting up your straight right through movement, foot position, feints and setting/ breaking patterns, put a left hook after it. this often comes from a southpaw's blind spot and helps your balance as you pivot off the hook, creating a new angle of attack.

i would also recommend that you don't completely do away with your jab. jab stepping in while trying to gain outside foot position a couple of times to see how he handles it. do it a couple of times to create a pattern and, if you see his reaction leaves an opening for it, start throwing lead left hooks with, at least, another punch or two behind it.
      WHOA THANK YOU MATE! THIS IS THE ONE I WANTED !!IM GOING TO TRY THIS TOMORROW ..well my next problem about my "tall southpaw opponent" is his footwork and the most he's counter punching skills .. he always have an angle to counter for every of my punches thrown ,he's too good for me but i like it,just to tell you he fought a couple of pro' fights but did not make it,but me only an amateur ,he's getting better and better everytime we spar.. what is missing on me ??.. or what should i have to practice ???

please give me some advice bro .. thanks again !

Comment

"after setting up your straight right through movement" hey what do you mean here ?? like step in jab ?? Right straight while stepping forward ???

Comment

definitely keep on the outside of his front foot, but thats a good habit to keep with anyone if you dont want to get hit.

straight right to the liver helps as his right side is forward. left body hooks.

if they leave their front hand out I slap it over my right shoulder and attack the body while their hands are tied.

EDIT: obviously I don't mean keep your foot on the outside of theirs if they have the same stance as you, but circling to their blindside is a good idea
          Last edited by Righthandbanger; 05-27-2010, 02:26 AM.

Comment

By "movement" I meant using footwork to create proper angles and distance to throw your straight right. For an easy example of this, I point you to the De La Hoya/ Pacquiao fight. De La Hoya is often in front of Pacquiao, presumably waiting for Pacquiao to make a move so he can counter. Pacquiao is moving in his rhythm at the very edge of punching range, which is proper distance at this point. Pacquiao's rhythm, the upper body movement and bouncing, is slowly moving him into position to have a great angle for his straight left. Which will travel right down the pipe, in this case.

Without De La Hoya seeming to recognize it, when Pacquiao is throwing that straight left, he steps in with his foot landing outside De La Hoya's, which allows Pacquiao to escape underneath De La Hoya's jab hand to avoid the counter attack. This is an example of "turning" your opponent.

Pacquiao was using basics to pick De La Hoya apart. After some straight lefts, he began to understand the timing for landing his right hook afterward. Watch and understand this example and apply it to your situation. Hopefully, you will be able to understand how he is setting you up and look at what Pacquiao is doing and try some of those tactics yourself.

Another tactic would be to, not only have your left foot outside his right foot but, force him to move to his own left to make him uncomfortable. keep your left hand in a tight guard, throw hooks to the head and body and bring it RIGHT back into position.

I would say make him as uncomfortable as possible by pressing the action with proper positioning, punches, head movement and a tight guard. he's improving as he becomes more accustomed to how you box. the key is to try to grasp everything that he is doing and apply similar tactics to him adjusted for your style of fighting.

Comment

Straight rights to the body under his jab followed by the hook.

Slip his jab to the left and just put your right hand out there at the same time, he'll run right into it.

If you can fight moving to your right then do it. South paws are always used to orthadox fighters moving to there left. See if he can work moving the other way. When you do this most often they start throwing lead lefts because their jab wont touch you. Cover, roll and fire back hooks.

All of this has worked well for me in the past.................Rockin'

Comment

he beat me up again .. he does not want to go toe to toe even one time against me .. he's always like mayweather .. after 1 - 3 punches he gets out and i cant f"cking catch him .. my nose hurts right now and my lips are bit swollen ..Maybe i need a drill that can boost my footspeed and leg explosiveness then ill fight him again .. ha! thnx for the advice ..

Comment

at this current time, it may just be that he's completely outclassing you as a boxer. experience cannot be under-valued.
                  while competing NEVER think that a fight is what you should be pressing for if proper tactics will due. observe his tactics. what direction does he step to after throwing his punches? how does he react when you step in with a jab? with a high guard? with a straight right? what does he do when you cut off the ring? when you step in to bring the fight close range?
                  come in with combinations, never depend on one punch. bring your hands back into position to defend. NEVER neglect head movement. apply things like bobbing and weaving to change the level of your head as you make your way in. your head should be in a different position with every punch. watch out for over-aggression which will have you walking into traps he is setting with the knowledge that you're going to run in. etc.

Comment

at this current time, it may just be that he's completely outclassing you as a boxer. experience cannot be under-valued.
                    while competing NEVER think that a fight is what you should be pressing for if proper tactics will due. observe his tactics. what direction does he step to after throwing his punches? how does he react when you step in with a jab? with a high guard? with a straight right? what does he do when you cut off the ring? when you step in to bring the fight close range?
                    come in with combinations, never depend on one punch. bring your hands back into position to defend. NEVER neglect head movement. apply things like bobbing and weaving to change the level of your head as you make your way in. your head should be in a different position with every punch. watch out for over-aggression which will have you walking into traps he is setting with the knowledge that you're going to run in. etc.
                    he fought 40+ amateur bouts and 2 in professional but he did not win ,but me only 9 amateur fights..yeah i was really outclassed .. woo nice advice again dude you really encourage me always to try it again haha! when i step in a jab ,he always moves to his left and counter a right but sometimes he just runs.. at the very end of third round he caught me with a right hook followed by left cross to my mouth ,that's when i called it a day we didnt continue to 4th round lol ! that sparring was like muhammad ali vs cleveland williams ..

Comment

Working...
                    X