No announcement yet.

Hagler's loss to Leonard

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hagler's loss to Leonard

Do you think Marvin Hagler's loss to Sugar Ray Leonard was due to him being past his prime?

Leonard was just better that night.

Comment

No. Hagler fought a god fight and to this day many still think he won. No excuses.

Comment

Originally posted by BEEHOP View Post
        Leonard was just better that night.
        Agreed. If Hagler hadn't given Leonard so many concessions beforehand he could have won that fight. But he did and Ray beat him fair and square in a close fight.

Comment

Originally posted by mangler View Post
          No. Hagler fought a god fight and to this day many still think he won. No excuses.
          I had him winning it when it happened. But after watching it a few more time I had to give it to Ray. No excuses.

Comment

Although I don't doubt Hagler left a little behind in the Mugabi fight, I think it was his ego that lost him the fight (just as DLH's ego lost him the Trinidad fight, and a thousand other examples). Also, I think it was SRL's ego that won him the fight. Leonard knew he could fight the fight he did (Camacho-Boza Edwards was a template he said at the time) and win a decision. Hagler spotted him 4 rounds (not intentionally, I don't think), fought orthodox, and never went for the kill when SRL tired, which is what made Hagler the dominant champion he was in the first place. He just didn't do stuff like that. I think he acquired a fevered ego from his post-Hearns acclaim, and convinced himself that SRL had to actively "take" his title like Hearns tried to do. In that sense, Hagler "deserved" to lose just as much as SRL didn't "deserve" to win. For me, this fight is just a statistic and doesn't deserve the status it often recieves as a great fight.

Comment

Hagler was under the impression that all he had to do was turn-up on the night and KO Ray Leonard, he had no respect for Leonard and vastly underestimated him, Hagler had no game plan simply because he was so convinced in his head that he would `easily` KO Leonard who had been out of the ring for over 3yrs.. Hagler stupidly gave away the first 4rds then decided "Now i will knock him out" But Leonard had warmed to the task, he had never ever had any fear of Hagler and was enjoying himself in there.. Leonard was taller, faster, more skilled than Hagler and he won quite easily in the end... Hagler was "Shocked" and tried to blame everyone, the judges, the referee, Vegas, then he blamed Leonard for what had been his own mistakes, Hagler could not handle it, so left the USA and his wife and kids, he was hurt by his own ego... Ray Leonard won and he won easily, he won because he was a better fighter.. the arguments that still go on today about who won do Marvin Hagler justice yet Leonard an injustice... i scored the fight 9-3 Leonard

Comment

Partly but it was also because of what happened before the fight where he pretty much let Leonard have what he wanted to have in the fight in return for a bigger purse and partly because of bad tactics, I mean why would he try to outbox Leonard from the orthodox stance in the first 3 rounds? And also Leonard was Leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by Silencers View Post
                  Partly but it was also because of what happened before the fight where he pretty much let Leonard have what he wanted to have in the fight in return for a bigger purse and partly because of bad tactics, I mean why would he try to outbox Leonard from the orthodox stance in the first 3 rounds? And also Leonard was Leonard.
                  I guess its a case of using a guys greatest asset against him or in this case his biggest weakness.

I actually think Duran's aggression, determination and no nonsense balls to the wall attitude is what made him so formidable, he just wanted to beat the **** out of you so bad, that is where i think you could use his best asset against him because he could be frustrated when he could not put some hurt on you. I think Leonard used his greatest asset against him to win the second fight.

By the same token Hagler's insecurity is what drove him on to succeed and become the formidable fighter he was, but against Leonard that insecurity was also his undoing. He let those insecurity's get the best of him and tried to Box with Leonard to prove a point.

Comment

I dunno, Leonard lost that fight, IMO.

Hagler lost the first three rounds (dunno why he fought southpaw!) to Ray easily. But as soon as Hagler got in closer and started banging Leonard, Leonard took a page out of Ali's book and would run for most of each round but fight in the last 30 seconds. Judges were won over by this tactic.

Comment

Working...
                    X