No announcement yet.

Whitaker vs Rivera I

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whitaker vs Rivera I

I just read the decision in this fight was controversial, a SD for Whitaker. Does anybody have it? It's not on youtube, I guess the Sweet Pea fans aren't interested in showing it.

Wilfredo Rivera was underated.

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
    I just read the decision in this fight was controversial, a SD for Whitaker. Does anybody have it? It's not on youtube, I guess the Sweet Pea fans aren't interested in showing it.

second fight was controversial, first fight was a plain robbery. sorry I dont have the fight anymore.

Comment

It seems that I've finally accomplished what I set out for-to quiet down the Whitaker-lovers!

Comment

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post

Yes, I agree with you. Rivera was robbed the first time they fought. i thought Whitaker won the rematch.

Comment

Yep, the first fight Rivera should've won but I think Whitaker was high on coke and trained for like 2 weeks in for the fight, he enjoyed his time on that island way too much. Second fight I thought he edged.

Comment

Whitaker was slipping by the time he fought Rivera. He was undertrained and had began taking the sorts of substances that an athlete shouldn't have been taking.

Rivera was also a very underrated fighter, he was actually pretty damn good.

Comment

I have seen both. Rivera did very well in the first one, Whitaker looked awful but had already been abusing alcohol and cocaine by that point. Rivera fought well enough to win that fight.

The second fight was close action-wise but I thought Whitaker was a clear winner. I scored for Whitaker by 3 points or so.

Rivera was a pretty solid contender. He would have troubled many of the current Welterweights. Kind of a Carlos Quintana caliber fighters, although more of a puncher and less of a smooth boxer type. The man who stopped the comeback of Carlos Palomino.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgringo View Post
                I have seen both. Rivera did very well in the first one, Whitaker looked awful but had already been abusing alcohol and cocaine by that point. Rivera fought well enough to win that fight.

The second fight was close action-wise but I thought Whitaker was a clear winner. I scored for Whitaker by 3 points or so.

Rivera was a pretty solid contender. He would have troubled many of the current Welterweights. Kind of a Carlos Quintana caliber fighters, although more of a puncher and less of a smooth boxer type. The man who stopped the comeback of Carlos Palomino.
                I've heard that Palomino actually had great success against Rivera at 50 years of age and rocked him although I haven't seen the fight. Pretty impressive if true.

Mosley and Vargas later struggled with Rivera as well.

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatA View Post
                  I've heard that Palomino actually had great success against Rivera at 50 years of age and rocked him although I haven't seen the fight. Pretty impressive if true.

Mosley and Vargas later struggled with Rivera as well.
                  I haven't seen the fight but that is impressive considering how old Palomino was.

Rivera had the misfortune of fighting alongside great Welterweights. Had he participated at his best in the early 2000's with Spinks, Judah and Margarito, he would have been more successful in my opinion.

Comment

Look, I know you guys gotta make excuses why your guy lost, but I'm really sick of it. Just admit he lost and be done with it! According to you Whitaker fans here, he was slipping in every match he didn't win. Like he was GOD or something. You saying a prime Whitaker could NEVER lose to ANYBODY??!!

Comment

Working...
                    X