No announcement yet.

Roadwork done the proper way

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadwork done the proper way

Many old fashion boxing coaches will tell their fighter to run about 5 miles 2-4 times a week. Why this is good for health and cardiovascular fitness it is non-specific to boxing. Interval Training is the way forward!

Boxers fight for 2 or 3 minutes explosive rounds and your roadwork needs to mimic this. Interval training should be perfomed 2-3 times a week with one long run (3-5 miles) advisable once a week, as a degree of CV fitness is still required.

Remember boxing is mainly an anaerobic sport and this theme should be brought in to all training sessions. Here are some examples below:

EXAMPLE A

Run 600mx5, 1min rest (this closely mimics a 3min rounds)

EXAMPLE B

Jog for 20secs, run for 20secs, sprint for 20secs x2or3 (depending on if you fight 2 or 3 minute rounds). Rest for 1 minutes and repeat 5 times.

EXAMPLE C

Run 800m, 1min rest (x2)
    400m, 1min rest (x4)
    200m, 30sec rest (x4)

maybe LSD is just a way of building up endurance?

Comment

wow it seems you have completely revolutionized boxing training forever. you invented sprinting.

man i bet ariza and victor conte and them guys are shaking in their boots

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post
        wow it seems you have completely revolutionized boxing training forever. you invented sprinting.

You what? I'm not trying to change boxing, I'm only trying to help fighters get the best from training...but thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by moneymayforever View Post
          maybe LSD is just a way of building up endurance?
          I have nothing against LSD, I mean I do use it once a week. It's proberly best in the close season (before the 8-12 intense weeks before a fight) as a foundation but when you get to that 8-12 weeks, you really want to hone in on specifics.

If interval training is done regularly, our bodies will be used to the pattern of working out when fighting/sparring!

Comment

Originally posted by dctopboots01 View Post
            Many old fashion boxing coaches will tell their fighter to run about 5 miles 2-4 times a week. Why this is good for health and cardiovascular fitness it is non-specific to boxing. Interval Training is the way forward!

Boxers fight for 2 or 3 minutes explosive rounds and your roadwork needs to mimic this. Interval training should be perfomed 2-3 times a week with one long run (3-5 miles) advisable once a week, as a degree of CV fitness is still required.

Remember boxing is mainly an anaerobic sport and this theme should be brought in to all training sessions. Here are some examples below:

EXAMPLE A

EXAMPLE B

Jog for 20secs, run for 20secs, sprint for 20secs x2or3 (depending on if you fight 2 or 3 minute rounds). Rest for 1 minutes and repeat 5 times.

EXAMPLE C

Run 800m, 1min rest (x2)
            400m, 1min rest (x4)
            200m, 30sec rest (x4)
            you definently still need long runs though. Just going by personal experience. running in generally just toughens the heart up improves your fitness. Just doing a lot of sprints will never give you that Pacquiao esque stamina.

Comment

u need the long a$$bustin runs for mental conditioning aswell as physical....

a and if u r fightng 10 or 12 rounds u should be crankning out like 7 miles no sweat.

Comment

Originally posted by dctopboots01 View Post

EXAMPLE A

EXAMPLE B

EXAMPLE C

Run 800m, 1min rest (x2)
                400m, 1min rest (x4)
                200m, 30sec rest (x4)

In example A I'd have said that 3min 600m reps with one minute rest would be a touch slow. This would be only a mild aerobic pace. 3min 800s are more like it but not quite anaerobic.

But I quite like examples B&C for as long as the pace is fast enough for each rep.

Comment

Originally posted by raf727 View Post

hahahhaah

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
                    you definently still need long runs though. Just going by personal experience. running in generally just toughens the heart up improves your fitness. Just doing a lot of sprints will never give you that Pacquiao esque stamina.
                    Very true. Boxing is 20% cardio so it should count for 20% of your training.

Comment

Working...
                    X