No announcement yet.

Ryan Martin discovers the realities of boxing after losing to Josh Taylor

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
    Is Ima tell ya some new language that means I'm telling you? I like the old original English that didn't need changing.
    Spelling was notoriously changeable, especially before mid-century. Variant spellings appear only
    when they aren’t obvious: it’s easy to recognize chuse, musick, and chear as choose, music, and cheer,
    but you might need help in recognizing chirurgeon as surgeon or goal as jail. I don’t bother glossing
    most changes in grammar: you was, for instance, was a typical eighteenth-century usage and is now
    obsolete, but it’s easy to understand without help. Writers at the time would say a book is printing,
    whereas we’d say it’s being printed, but again, it’s not likely to confuse anyone
    https://andromeda.rutgers.edu/~jlynch/C18Guide.pdf

Language has, is & will continue to be a fluid thing. Idk why grammar nazis are an actual thing cuz there has never been any real majority of grammar nazi's running words & usages of words.

He isn't very good and he didn't fight well or try hard so he lost. Taylor is very good, he fought very well and tried hard so he won. Average fighters like Martin never beat outstanding fighters like Taylor. They just aren't good enough and never will be.
    I wouldn't go so far as to call Martin average, but he doesn't look like a tip top type guy. I suspect his ceiling will be the top ten. I do think this fight came too early for him. He'd not been in with a live opponent yet reallllllly & Josh isn't the first live opponent anyone should be thrown in with. I do respect Ryan for making the jump & trying to test himself. He'll be better long term for it if he uses this L as a learning experience.

Comment

Working...
    X