No announcement yet.

Number of Punches Determines a Winner?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boxing Goat View Post
    No, like I said, I feel like GGG landed the better shots on top of landing a lot more. GGG may have been hurt by a couple body shots but to me, he played it off well. I think the judges just gave Canelo more credit because their pockets were lined with Golden Boy money. Hopkins made sure that MW defense record tie didn't leave his ledger. GGG won and I think with the punch stats and the presses overwhelming opinion that he did, it's a well supported opinion. Canelo fought great, but GGG fought better.

On a side note, a 28 year old GGG would have knocked Canelo out in 3 rounds or less. His reflexes and speed are a distant memory compared to how they once were.
    Yeah, I agree. A younger Golovkin tears Canelo to pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by club fighter View Post
      Every time I've heard about judging criteria in the media, defense and ring generalship are mentioned as factors along with punches landed.

I don't think they have "different criteria", I just think they value them differently. Lederman likes "going forward" fighters, Adelaide Byrd likes Canelo backwards or forwards, it's all subjective instead of "objective".
      And therein lies the problem. As long as it's subjective, any judge can basically write down whatever score he wants. Adelaide Byrd 118-110? We all agree that's ridiculous but was it overturned? Will the history books still say 118-110? Of course they will.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Trick-Pony View Post
        I think the biggest problem with the sport is that there is no real objective way to score a fight. It's all subjective and often in the end, like this weekend, divisive.

So why not let the number of punches scored win rounds and ultimately the fight itself?

Obviously extra points should be awarded for knockdowns and punch numbers should be lowered when deductions occur but at least, you could say guy A won because he outlanded guy B.

I think this might be harder to argue with than the old "I believe he won the fight" line.

What do you guys think?

Yay or nay?

So basically you want to turn professional boxing in to amateur boxing...…..Rockin'

Comment

There's one massive problem. Compubox is absolute bull****, it's been proven over and over.

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
            There's one massive problem. Compubox is absolute bull****, it's been proven over and over.
            I do agree with that. GGG out landed Canelo by like 80 punches in the first fight which included jabs and power shots. The punch stats came out later and said that Canelo out landed GGG in power punches. That just didn't happen

Comment

An interesting article about scoring, concerning Paquiao-Bradley. As the author states, judges have zero accountability.

https://deadspin.com/5917475/how-jud...ao-got-screwed

Comment

Originally posted by Robbie Barrett View Post
                I'm sure this is true in some cases, but at least it can be disputed by rewatching the fight. What do you have now other than opinions which are like you know...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockin' View Post
                  So basically you want to turn professional boxing in to amateur boxing...…..Rockin'
                  Well, not really, according to this.

http://www.theglowingedge.com/rules-...ou-didnt-know/

Comment

Most would agree that Terence Crawford defeated Viktor Postol. The punch numbers also back this up since TC landed 141/388 and Postol landed 83/244.

Most would agree that Billy Joe Saunders soundly defeated David Lemieux. The numbers also back that up at 165/430 landed for Saunders and 67/356 for Lemieux.

Most would agree that Leo Santa-Cruz beat Abner Mares in their rematch. The numbers fall right in line with this at 357/1061 for Santa-Cruz compared to 208/931 for Mares.

The numbers get it right time after time.

Comment

In Tyson Fury's win over Wladimir Klitschko, Fury landed 86/371 compared to 52/231 by Klitschko. I think most would agree that Fury bested him. According to the numbers, he would have still gotten the victory.

Leavin this all up in the air to three "opinoins" is playing with dynamite as we've witnessed time and time again.

Comment

Working...
                      X