No announcement yet.

So UK doesnt get Showtime fights anymore

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So UK doesnt get Showtime fights anymore

Pretty sure this is whats happening now. Havent had any Showtime cards since DAZN was announced, no word on Mikey Garcia vs Easter. Boxnation has their thing with Top Rank so we get those.

Hearn has cut off the market for US Showtime fighters. These DAZN cards better be good Eddie

well that sucks for you guys....showtime has the best boxing program going in the states

i dont like hearn in all honesty....but in being completely serious i think he has a tough road ahead of him with this dazn thing in the US...

unless he gets andrade in a meaningful fight within the next year

that card i see he has for chicago...it has alot of names ...but im guessing alot of mismatches......these are cards that forum fans that hate haymon give him flack for.....i realize they are necessary evil....but hearn better have something good for those guys behind that card

Comment

That's not how it works... Showtime fights In the UK are purely up to whether Sky want to purchase the UK rights or not.

Hearn has absolutely no say whatsoever if Sky want to bid for an American fight and he has admitted as much in his interview regarding the while K2/ Hennessy split fiasco with IFL TV.

The only reason a showtime fight.. be it Garcia or anyone else aren't shown in the UK is because Sky don't think the outlay for the rights is equal to the viewership numbers.

Remember.. only very very small numbers in the UK who watch boxing on Sky are going to be aware of Garcia or his fights.. much less one that really bears very little relevance in the grand scheme of boxing sphere.

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
        That's not how it works... Showtime fights In the UK are purely up to whether Sky want to purchase the UK rights or not.

Hearn has absolutely no say whatsoever if Sky want to bid for an American fight and he has admitted as much in his interview regarding the while K2/ Hennessy split fiasco with IFL TV.

The only reason a showtime fight.. be it Garcia or anyone else aren't shown in the UK is because Sky don't think the outlay for the rights is equal to the viewership numbers.

Remember.. only very very small numbers in the UK who watch boxing on Sky are going to be aware of Garcia or his fights.. much less one that really bears very little relevance in the grand scheme of boxing sphere.
        ah...good explanation

Comment

Naw we'll just stream it.

Comment

Originally posted by Randall Cunning View Post
            Pretty sure this is whats happening now. Havent had any Showtime cards since DAZN was announced, no word on Mikey Garcia vs Easter. Boxnation has their thing with Top Rank so we get those.

Hearn has cut off the market for US Showtime fighters. These DAZN cards better be good Eddie
            It was on boxnation

You also get Broadway boxing

Comment

Originally posted by yammy25 View Post
              Hearn has absolutely no say whatsoever if Sky want to bid for an American fight and he has admitted as much
              As close as Hearn and Sky are, I find it hard to believe that his opinion would be completely disregarded by Sky.

Comment

Yes, as stated Hearn doesn't determine if SKY buys the fight or not. But it will be telling if SKY drastically decreases the number of SHO fights in the next six or so months. I think BoxNation is a better bet to pick up the Garcia fight than SKY, but no chance SKY doesn't pick up the Wilder fight later this year.

Comment

Originally posted by WBC WBA IBF View Post
                  As close as Hearn and Sky are, I find it hard to believe that his opinion would be completely disregarded by Sky.
                  They'd consult him as to whether he felt it was good for the channel obviously..and he himself has said if he feels any bout ..international or otherwise strengthens sky's viewership then he's happy to it's a good idea for them to bid for it.

But the facts are.. if Sky want to bid for an International fight then Hearn can't TELL them not to and them actually not be allowed to bid.

Why do you think so little US fights end up on sky? Because they don't generate the view figures from the UK to justify buying the rights.

I'm sure Sky have enough access to data to see what their view rates would be without consulting Hearn every single time they want access to an international fight. Barney Francis is a big boy ...

Comment

It isn’t upto Hearn however given sky are guaranteed an additional 12 USA fights (DAZN) for relatively little extra cost it’s not a surprise they aren’t investing extra elsewhere, particularly given as a general rule of thumb the ratings for fights at 2am-5am in the morning are really low.

I would imagine if Hearn starts putting some Americans on the uk cards and vice versus in USA that would be beneficial to both DAZN and sky sports so I would expect that to start happening in time too

Comment

Working...
                    X