Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin's Coach: We Wanted Ward, It Will Eventually Happen!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GGG Gloveking View Post
    Asking the 168 champ to drop 4 lbs is no less legitimate than asking the 160 champ to jump up 8 lbs. The best at 160 vs the best at 168, meet in the middle. Seems very fair to me. Like you said, he was the 168 champ. He was being asked to drop 4lbs.

Comparing it to Canelo is a bit of apples vs oranges. In one case, we have 2 champs from 2 different divisions wanting to meet in the middle. On the other hand, we have a champ in a division asking another champ in the same division to drop to the minimum of the division. This would be like Golovkin winning a 168 belt then demanding Ward come to 161. Or it would have to be Canelo winning a 154 belt and wanting GGG at 157.5. Neither of which is the case so it really isnt a valid comparison.

But let me throw the ball back at you. Why should Golovkin have to drop 5 lbs for a same division champ, but Ward not have t9 drop 4 for a lower division champ?
    Too easy. Loeffler/Golovkin wanted Ward to accept Golovkin's terms because of A-side vs B-side. The same A-side vs B-side equation applies to Canelo vs Golovkin. The fact remains that Golovkin did not have the same stipulations for Chavez Jr or Froch at 168. Why? Because he was not the A-side to either boxer nor are they as much of a threat as Ward was/is.

Canelo will most likely be a Jr Middleweight titleholder after facing Liam Smith so I guess his catch-weight stipulation will be ok with you then?

Let's see, A-side Canelo wanted/wants 160 pound champion Golovkin to drop 5 pounds to 155. Golovkin declines.

A-side Golovkin wanted 168 pound Champion Ward to drop 4 pounds to 164.

Oh yeah.....huge difference

Seems fair to you? Then I guess you also believe Brook and Golovkin should be meeting at 154.5 for Golovkin's titles? Somehow I highly doubt that.

Comment

Originally posted by kafkod View Post
      How can he have a signed confirmed date with Kovalev when he's fighting someone else next?
      It's called a multiple (3) fight contract with a plethora of stipulations, one of which states that after a specific date (of which I can't remember at the moment) Ward can't fight anyone else but Kov, otherwise get sued and banned from HBO.

I notice that when ur defending your favorite fighters everything becomes a conundrum for u .

Comment

to be fair golovkin needs 3 tuneup fights moving up before fighting ward just like ward needs 3 before fighting kovalev.

just stop with the hypocrisy and double standard.

Comment

Originally posted by AKAcronym View Post
          Provide proof that Ward and his team sent the contract that was turned down. Him saying it in a video is not proof. That's all this is is people taking sides and not believing the other. It's a never-ending loop.
          There was an offer from Ward/Roc Nation. Golovkin's team declined, for legitimate reasons, but the official offer was made:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...915-story.html

Comment

Originally posted by brick wall View Post
            to be fair golovkin needs 3 tuneup fights moving up before fighting ward just like ward needs 3 before fighting kovalev.

just stop with the hypocrisy and double standard.
            Difference is that Golovkin is on record saying "anyone at 154, 160 and 168" when Ward was still a 168 pound champion and Golovkin actively pursued 168 pound fights with Chavez Jr and Froch.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Luthor View Post
              There was an offer from Ward/Roc Nation. Golovkin's team declined, for legitimate reasons, but the official offer was made:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sports...915-story.html
              That's right. **** I'm getting lost in this whole drama. It's why I've stopped caring too much. It really is the most annoying topic on forums.

Comment

Too easy. Loeffler/Golovkin wanted Ward to accept Golovkin's terms because of A-side vs B-side. The same A-side vs B-side equation applies to Canelo vs Golovkin. The fact remains that Golovkin did not have the same stipulations for Chavez Jr or Froch at 168. Why? Because he was not the A-side to either boxer nor are they as much of a threat as Ward was/is.

Canelo will most likely be a Jr Middleweight titleholder after facing Liam Smith so I guess his catch-weight stipulation will be ok with you then?

Let's see, A-side Canelo wanted/wants 160 pound champion Golovkin to drop 5 pounds to 155. Golovkin declines.

A-side Golovkin wanted 168 pound Champion Ward to drop 4 pounds to 164.

Oh yeah.....huge difference

Seems fair to you? Then I guess you also believe Brook and Golovkin should be meeting at 154.5 for Golovkin's titles? Somehow I highly doubt that.
                I never said anything about A side B side (frankly, this A side B side shiz is killing the sport with fighters making all these demands on their opponents). I merely mentioned title holders from different or same divisions. The fact that you counter a numeric argument (160 vs 168) with an alphabetic one (A side vs B side) speaks volumes about the numeric argument.

If (when) Canelo wins the 154 belt, I would be happy to entertain the same A side leverage that GGG tried to apply to Ward...50-50. That would he 157.5 with a 50-50 purse split. (let's see if Canelo goes for that, lol)

Comment

Difference is that Golovkin is on record saying "anyone at 154, 160 and 168" when Ward was still a 168 pound champion and Golovkin actively pursued 168 pound fights with Chavez Jr and Froch.

are you sure he said that himself or just somebody from his team?

anyway, doesn't really matter...what I'm really trying to point out is the hypocrisy of a lot of posters here. if you're ok with ward moving up to fight the smiths and brands before fighting kovalev, you should be ok with golovkin wanting to fight chavez jr and froch first before ward.

Comment

Just because you say anyone from 154-168 doesn't mean you take everyone fight at whatever asinine conditions they make.

You do realize these situations happens one and two years apart. The issue with Ward was he wanted the fight to happen a year or so down the road, while locking in 50/50 now. GGG will have picked up two unification titles by then and would have been all three if Lee had beaten Suanders. They were right to say they were sticking to their 2016.

K2 rightly laughed at it and responded.

And Ward hadn't fought at 168 since 2013, and just fought at 172.

Comment

People will complain no matter what

They say they'd fight Degale and Ward at some point these haters are up in arms.

Comment

Working...
                      X