Collapse
No announcement yet.

right handed in a southpaw stance?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's all about training. If you train your ass off at it and study your deficiencies it will work and be a great ability to have. Like I said, you can't decide today you want to be able to switch stances in a fight and then go out next week in a fight and use it. It would take years to perfect the technique. It is something that should ,ideally, be worked on from the beginning of a boxing career. Otherwise, it needs a lot of time and drilling to be effective.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
      Miguel Cotto is a right handed southpaw. There's a danger to fighting in that stance that you never ever develop the power in the left hand. Your back hand is your power hand. Your front hand can be trained to be more dextrous but it's much harder to train your back hand to have power in it.

In short almost everyone who walks in the gym thinks that they will be a better southpaw because their right hand is stronger, and all of them are wrong. And the people who think they should move in between the stances are the worst of all.
      this is a great post

noobs think they should be southpaw because their jab feels weak and unnatural being that it isn't their dominant hand, so instead of working on the damn punch they try a shortcut
      Last edited by SplitSecond; 12-18-2013, 05:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy
        In short almost everyone who walks in the gym thinks that they will be a better southpaw because their right hand is stronger, and all of them are wrong. And the people who think they should move in between the stances are the worst of all.
        I find it hard to believe that everyone walks into the gym thinking that their strong hand needs to be their lead hand. I know I didn't think that. And what makes a person that wants to be able to switch stances worst of all? If trained properly a person that can fight from both stances would be a very dangerous opponent.

Comment

Bronco McKart did good with it.............. Rockin'

Comment

Miguel Cotto is a right handed southpaw. There's a danger to fighting in that stance that you never ever develop the power in the left hand. Your back hand is your power hand. Your front hand can be trained to be more dextrous but it's much harder to train your back hand to have power in it.

Is he? I thought he was a left handed orthodox?

Comment

I originally learned how to box orthodox(am a righty) training with a friend of mine who used to fight. It wasn't until yeaaaaarrrss later when I actually stepped into an actual gym someone recommended, the first thing my new trainer does is turn me southpaw.
              I felt kinda crappy, as my jab was fluid and my footwork was money in a conventional stance. I even expressed my disdain for switching up but he was adamant that he could make it work. Well, I've slowly developed a rhythm and I have to admit there's a sort of magic behind leading with your right. My straight left shoots unbelievably quick because I was so adept at repeatedly jabbing with it all those years ago. I think I can do some damage on guys a couple weight classes above me if I really had to. Atleast the lower skilled guys..

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
                this is a great post

noobs think they should be southpaw because their jab feels weak and unnatural being that it isn't their dominant hand, so instead of working on the damn punch they try a shortcut
                ........ :l

Comment

I will agree that the trend at one time was to just switch a kid because it was the fad in boxing at the time, but like everything else, you can benefit from it.

Oscar's right hand was pretty damn good, and like Rockin said. Mcgirt did great with it as well. There's many others. I think if power is there, it's just technique that needs to be mastered.

Some fighters can go in between very well and it's just a natural thing for them. Omar Figueroa is great at switching from stance to stance and it seems to work for him great.

Just like there's people who can use both hands, you can have fighters who can master both stances.

Comment

The only downfall I have as a southpaw is this bad habit of shelling up and getting really tight. I get super tense sometimes and dig my chin in so low I'm almost looking down. Maybe subconsciously I don't want to get rocked? It's especially tough because my trainer wants me to basically be loose and counter-savvy. Anyone else have problems tensing up during drills?

Comment

Cotto is not a southpaw. He's a lefthanded orthodox fighter, just like Ward. And maybe Barrera.

Comment

Working...
                      X