No announcement yet.

Tarver's legacy

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Benncollinsaad View Post
    Yeah, Toney vs Tarver would be a fun fight. But unfortunately Toney was crap at 175 and lost all his major matches there. Mostly because he didn't train sufficiently. I don't think its fair to say Tarver will be remembered ONLY for that knockout over Roy Jones. He will be also remembered as an exciting fighter, at least from '97 to 2005, and a COLORFUL guy.
    This is a myth. Toney actually should be undefeated at 175, he was robbed against Griffin twice. The second robbery was down right disgraceful. Can't speak on the Thadzi fight, haven't seen it, but Toney didn't make 175 anyways.

Comment

Tarver is a good fighter, but nothin more than that. Had he turned pro sooner, I think he woulda been worse off actually. His legacy is based off RJ. Fightin him at his prime or fightin Hill and the other top LHW's at that time, Tarver woulda got beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
        This is a myth. Toney actually should be undefeated at 175, he was robbed against Griffin twice. The second robbery was down right disgraceful. Can't speak on the Thadzi fight, haven't seen it, but Toney didn't make 175 anyways.
        I had him winning both too, the 1st fight Griffin can make and argument but Toney clearly won the 2nd fight.....I always wondered why they robbed him, I mean who the **** was Montell Griffin at that point? What big fights down the road were they trying to set up to give him 2 wins over Toney?

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
          I had him winning both too, the 1st fight Griffin can make and argument but Toney clearly won the 2nd fight.....I always wondered why they robbed him, I mean who the **** was Montell Griffin at that point? What big fights down the road were they trying to set up to give him 2 wins over Toney?
          Well, he did give RJJ his first "loss". But yea...for whatever reason they just had it in for Toney.

Comment

Not much of a legacy. He'll only ever be known as the guy that beat a past his prime weight depleted Jones.

Comment

I'd like to see Tarver in a Fabulous Five Oldtimers Tournament. It will be held at CW. Fighters involved:

The Magic Man
              RJJ
              The Executioner
              Lights Out
              The Road Warrior

I think it would sell quite well tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by Obama View Post
                I'd like to see Tarver in a Fabulous Five Oldtimers Tournament. It will be held at CW. Fighters involved:

The Magic Man
                RJJ
                The Executioner
                Lights Out
                The Road Warrior

I think it would sell quite well tbh.
                That is one of the best ideas I have heard on this forum. It would get alot of attention and all are legit fights because everyone is past their best,and because of it I doubt any fight would be too onesided........but imagine how pissed Adamek and the other top guys at CW would be with the old timers stealing their thunder that they never really had to begin with.....green k sent for such a creative idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Spray_resistant View Post
                  That is one of the best ideas I have heard on this forum. It would get alot of attention and all are legit fights because everyone is past their best,and because of it I doubt any fight would be too onesided........but imagine how pissed Adamek and the other top guys at CW would be with the old timers stealing their thunder that they never really had to begin with.....green k sent for such a creative idea.
                  Thanks man.

Comment

I like the idea too. I think it would be interesting to see if Tarver can make it well fighting above his usual weight. He was always a skinny guy altho he had the height to fight above 175. At the Rocky Balboa filming he had bulked up for real, weighed around 218! But since speed was a vital part of his game, I dunno how he would do if he were weighed down by muscles and unable to use that asset. Toney and Road Warrior would thrive, since they are not known as fast fighters, Toney used to be quite fast in his prime, but after he left 168 he wasn't anymore.

Comment

Working...
                    X