No announcement yet.

Linear Title?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linear Title?

I hear a lot about the linear title, but what exactly is it? How do you differentiate it from the WBA/WBC/IBF titles?

Originally posted by VG_Addict View Post
    I hear a lot about the linear title, but what exactly is it? How do you differentiate it from the WBA/WBC/IBF titles?
    The term implies a title from the original roots of the division. It used to be relatively easy to figure out, but now is just one big headache. Like it or not, this term will become more obsolete as time passes.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
      The term implies a title from the original roots of the division. It used to be relatively easy to figure out, but now is just one big headache. Like it or not, this term will become more obsolete as time passes.
      what ? I think it is more relevant than it ever has been, because it's the best way to crown a real champion amongst all those paper champions we now have

Comment

Originally posted by Tiozzo View Post
        what ? I think it is more relevant than it ever has been, because it's the best way to crown a real champion amongst all those paper champions we now have
        Good luck doing the detective work needed to determine who is a "real champion" these days. The titles have been deluded beyond recognition, and the "Ring Magazine title" is a ****ing joke now.
        Last edited by Scott9945; 08-24-2012, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Has there been a real linear heavyweight champ since Marciano retired.. Or even Lewis??

Comment

Originally posted by Mintcar923 View Post
            Has there been a real linear heavyweight champ since Marciano retired.. Or even Lewis??
            Or since Gene Tunney retired.

I think most people were happy to accept Floyd Patterson after Marciano because of his terrific performance against Archie Moore (who Marciano had a really tough fight with).

After Lewis (who had taken the linear title from Shannon Briggs, who of course had decisioned George Foreman) I suppose it fell of sorts to Vitali Klitschko.......simply because he was ahead on points at the time of the stoppage on cuts. Also because he clearly wanted the rematch, but Lewis chose to retire.

I'll go with Vitali for the time being.

Just incase anyone is unsure what the 'linear' champion actually is. Basically it is supposed to be the man who beat the man who beat the man! So that the championship lineage can be traced without the confusion of the many alphabet governing bodies. Obviously when champions retire as belt holders, it becomes awkward.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post
              Or since Gene Tunney retired.

I think most people were happy to accept Floyd Patterson after Marciano because of his terrific performance against Archie Moore (who Marciano had a really tough fight with).

After Lewis (who had taken the linear title from Shannon Briggs, who of course had decisioned George Foreman) I suppose it fell of sorts to Vitali Klitschko.......simply because he was ahead on points at the time of the stoppage on cuts. Also because he clearly wanted the rematch, but Lewis chose to retire.

I'll go with Vitali for the time being.

Just incase anyone is unsure what the 'linear' champion actually is. Basically it is supposed to be the man who beat the man who beat the man! So that the championship lineage can be traced without the confusion of the many alphabet governing bodies. Obviously when champions retire as belt holders, it becomes awkward.
              There can be no linear since Lewis retired, for the simple reason that Wlad and his brother will not fight each other. The line requires and championship to be uncontested, undisputed.

Comment

I think it's more important now too. I take it the Ring belt is a joke because they're owned by Golden Boy now? How can that even be allowed, by the way? These days, it's either Ring, undisputed, lineal or who has more major title belts or more wins against top contenders. But yeah, for heavyweights, a new lineage won't begin until the Klitschkos retire. If not, how does one determine the true champion in any weight class these days? We still hear about lineal titles sometimes these days, just not as often. Both Mayweather and Pacquiao have won them, as well as Ring titles.

I get it, so for a new lineage to start, a champion has to be undisputed, like with the recent middleweights, where we went from Hopkins, Taylor, Pavlik and then Sergio Martinez, the current lineal and Ring champion right?

Comment

I mean, there are so many title belts, how do you know which is the linear title?

And when did Pacquiao and Mayweather win linear titles?

Comment

some of you guys don't know how the lineage works

when the lineal title is lost (example Lewis retiring), the lineage can be re-established if the no. 1 and no.2 ranked fighters, and in some instances, the no. 1 and no.3, fight

that is why Wlad K. is the lineal champion since he beat Chagaev, or that Pascal became lineal champ by beating Dawson

see this link for more
                    http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/pastchp.htm

Comment

Working...
                    X