Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who will be next in line as the next great Puerto Rican fighter?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will be next in line as the next great Puerto Rican fighter?

Great fighters and champions from Puerto Rico have been constant for as long as I remember. From guys like Wilfredo Gomez, Wilfred Benitez, Rosario, Camacho, Felix Trinidad and Miguel Cotto.

But their hasn't been a prospect or fighter that looks like a sucessor to carry on the tradition.

Juanma looked the part but then started getting knocked out fight after fight.

Thomas Dulorme was looked at as a succesor to Cotto but we saw what happened when he stepped up in class.

Danny Garcia is the closest to have becoming the succesor but he has had lackluster performances and never captured the imagination and most recently lost to Thurman.

Del Valle crumbled when he stepped up.
    Verdejo looked to be the guy, but has recently been looking mediocre and shakey against average opponents. Maybe he can rebound we will see, but my confidence on him is not high.

Machado looks good, has a big punch and needs to show he can compete with the top guys as his level of competition increases.

And recently an 18 year old kid named Joseph "Blessed Hands" Adorno signed with Top Rank last November. Has 4 fights in, 4 KO's in the 1st round. Had a really good amateur record for a young kid and is being trained by Robert Garcia and his father.

It's been a long drought. I'm waiting to see who the next great Puerto Rican fighter is to carry the torch.

Are there any other Puerto Rican fighters or prospects you guys know of that we should keep an eye on?
    Last edited by The Time; 07-10-2017, 11:41 AM.

Originally posted by The Time View Post
    Great fighters and champions from Puerto Rico have been constant for as long as I remember. From guys like Wilfredo Gomez, Wilfred Benitez, Rosario, Camacho, Felix Trinidad and Miguel Cotto.

But their hasn't been a prospect or fighter that looks like a sucessor to carry on the tradition.

Juanma looked the part but then started getting knocked out fight after fight.

Thomas Dulorme was looked at as a succesor to Cotto but we saw what happened when he stepped up in class.

Danny Garcia is the closest to have becoming the succesor but he has had lackluster performances and never captured the imagination and most recently lost to Thurman.

Del Valle crumbled when he stepped up.
    Verdejo looked to be the guy, but has recently been looking mediocre and shakey against average opponents. Maybe he can rebound we will see, but my confidence on him is not high.

Machado looks good, has a big punch and needs to show he can compete with the top guys as his level of competition increases.

And recently an 18 year old kid named Joseph "Blessed Hands" Adorno signed with Top Rank last November. Has 4 fights in, 4 KO's in the 1st round. Had a really good amateur record for a young kid and is being trained by Robert Garcia and his father.

It's been a long drought. I'm waiting to see who the next great Puerto Rican fighter is to carry the torch.

Are there any other Puerto Rican fighters or prospects any of you guys know that we should keep an eye on?
    Verdejos problems started when hr broke his hands vs najera after that fight he hasnt looked good at all. I saw someone mention in another thread to you that machado would beat loma cause hes 5'11 and has great power but thats ludacris. Loma is skill levels above this kid and loma has fought walters whos actually kod champions and who also has a longer reach than machado. Machado looks good so far but i wanna see him vs better competition. From watching videos and reading about adorno he looks to be one to watch out for. Wayy to early but im going to say this guy is a future champ in the making. Theres also a couple of other ricans from philly and one from new jersey that are said to be good prospects and are starting their careers.

Comment

Originally posted by vaborikua2014 View Post
      Verdejos problems started when hr broke his hands vs najera after that fight he hasnt looked good at all. I saw someone mention in another thread to you that machado would beat loma cause hes 5'11 and has great power but thats ludacris. Loma is skill levels above this kid and loma has fought walters whos actually kod champions and who also has a longer reach than machado. Machado looks good so far but i wanna see him vs better competition. From watching videos and reading about adorno he looks to be one to watch out for. Wayy to early but im going to say this guy is a future champ in the making. Theres also a couple of other ricans from philly and one from new jersey that are said to be good prospects and are starting their careers.

Yeah, I'm with you. Machado does look good so far but I wouldn't dare say he can challenge Loma. I want to see how he looks as he progresses. It's really good that he is in Hollywood, CA with Cotto and Roach training, watching how Cotto trains and prepares.

Adorno has a really good amateur record for an 18 year old. I'm thinking he might be something to as you're thinking.

I'm just tired of prospects or fighters from P.R. that have or had promise not shining through. Since Gomez, Benitez, Trinidad and Cotto there have always been Puerto Rican fighters carry on the lineage of the great fighting and boxing tradition of Puerto Rico.

I just want to see someone already and say, "That's the guy!" Lol

Comment

Miguel Cruz is the only hope for PR. Thats not to make it sound like he sucks he actually a great prospect and a real fighter.

Comment

The best fighter in Puerto Rico right now is hands down Jesus Rojas!

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
            oh yeah that another bad ass fighter coming up, real power too.

Comment

Originally posted by !WAR CHAVEZ! View Post
              oh yeah that another bad ass fighter coming up, real power too.
              Yes he is! He's had a few promotional problems, but everytime they put him up with upcoming undefeated prospects he crushes them. My Mexican fighter Looks & fights like him, very strong Mother______!

Comment

Originally posted by sugar ray lenrd View Post
                word I like that guy. That dude punked the ***** out of Arce.

The other fighter people need to look at is Christopher "pitufo" diaz. He will be going a long way and is my guess who will carry the future.

Verdejo, I like, but until he learns to body punch he wont make it far.

Comment

Orlando Cruz

Comment

Originally posted by Don Pichardo View Post
                    word I like that guy. That dude punked the ***** out of Arce.

The other fighter people need to look at is Christopher "pitufo" diaz. He will be going a long way and is my guess who will carry the future.

Verdejo, I like, but until he learns to body punch he wont make it far.
                    The same Arce that punked Papito? LOL.

P.R. BOXING IS PHUCKIN DEAD. How many champs do WE have?

PR passed the torch to Canelo.

Comment

Working...
                    X