Canelo vs. Jacobs does $8.6 mil gate at T-Mobile

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Disastrous?!?!?!

Arum would suck your dick tomorrow for some $8.6M gate numbers right now.
    Originally posted by THEFRESHBRAWLER View Post
    Ouch!!!!!!
    Originally posted by bballchump11 View Post
    That's not bad. About average for a cash cow like Mayweather, prime Pacquiao and Canelo.
    Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
    Those numbers are disastrous. If DAZN is the wave of the future then the sport of boxing is in trouble. Canelo is slowly but surely losing his fanbase with DAZN's over the top subscription based online streaming service.

Pay Per View television is still the business model to go when generating enough publicity, revenue and profits for boxing and not this subscription based video on demand online streaming service.

It's only good for boxing fans but not casual fans.
    Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
    How are they disastrous? You know Wilder-Fury only did a 3.5 million $ gate right?
    How many PPV buys do you think Jacobs vs Canelo wouldve done?

Comment

Originally posted by pillowfists98 View Post
      How are they disastrous? You know Wilder-Fury only did a 3.5 million $ gate right?
      It's so typical that you conveniently left out that that was Wilder and Fury's first ever Pay Per View bout as compared to Canelo's who is universally recognized as the cash cow of boxing and a box office draw, who has a crossover mainstream fan base with casual fans. While Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder don't.

$3.5mil is good number as compared to $8mil for a guy who earned $15mil more in his previous fight at the same venue. That number is way low for a Canelo fight and I don't see how you and the Golden Boy/DAZN guys can even help spin that fact.

Comment

Disastrous?!?!?!

Way to plant the seed...now this guy is gonna convince top rank he can deliver on that promise, just so he can get blown by arum.

Comment

Originally posted by KTFOKING View Post
          Canelo wasn't going to do GGG numbers this fight, but who expected him to do so?
          LOL. Apparently some people in this thread.

Idk how a -600ish (or w/e that line was) betting favorite fight doing $8.6M & being the 34th biggest gate revenue generating fight in NV history is a bad thing in anyway.

Hell man this might be among the top ten biggest revenue generating fights for such a wide favorite fight in the last 20 years. If its not in the top ten for wide favorite fights I'd bet its close to being inside that range.

Comment

Originally posted by champion4ever View Post
            It's so typical that you conveniently left out that that was Wilder and Fury's first ever Pay Per View bout as compared to Canelo who is universally recognized as the cash cow of boxing and a box office draw, who has a crossover mainstream fan base with casual fans. While Tyson Fury and Deontay Wilder don't.

$3.5mil is good number as compared to $8mil for a guy who earned $15mil more in his previous fight at the same venue. That number is way low for a Canelo fight and I don't see how you and the Golden Boy/DAZN guys can even help spin that fact.
            Of course this fight was going to have a smaller gate than Canelo-GGG. Having a strong B side matters a lot. GGG is 10x the draw that Jacobs is.

Comment

Disastrous?!?!?!

I know he would. He doesn't have a pay per view, crossover mainstream cash cow anymore with casual fans like Canelo and his Crawford/Khan pay per view bout tanked at the box office.

Comment

Manny did these types of numbers when he was right up there with Floyd & when Floyd was AWOL with boxing. These numbers are the 34th best revenue numbers in NV boxing history. Its surely among the best numbers worldwide & it was a fight where Canelo was a big favorite & most thought the fight was uncompetitive largely.

Its not worthy of a victory lap or anything, but its definitely not "disastrous". This ain't the Hurrican Katrina of boxing events ffs.
                I was telling pillowfists that the only thing disastrous is his comparison of Wilder's fight in LA to Canelo in Vegas

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                  How many PPV buys do you think Jacobs vs Canelo wouldve done?
                  What does gate & PPV buys have to do with each other?

But I'll play along with your Reverse Frankie2Jabs DAZN Weirdo Agenda bs you on these days.

I say it'd have done 500ish. Give or take 100k. Jacobs wasn't seen as a threat & doesn't have the biggest fanbase. Fight lives & dies on Canelo's fanboys not unlike the Khan fight (which iirc was announced as 600k, but in court docs was only 450k but anyone feel free to correct me on this if I'm incorrect on the specifics).

Comment

Originally posted by Motorcity Cobra View Post
                    Canelo numbers aren't disastrous. But comparing a non-Vegas gate to the Vegas gate of the biggest star in boxing is disastrous
                    Well said!

Comment

What does gate & PPV buys have to do with each other?

But I'll play along with your Reverse Frankie2Jabs DAZN Weirdo Agenda bs you on these days.

I say it'd have done 500ish. Give or take 100k. Jacobs wasn't seen as a threat & doesn't have the biggest fanbase. Fight lives & dies on Canelo's fanboys not unlike the Khan fight (which iirc was announced as 600k, but in court docs was only 450k but anyone feel free to correct me on this if I'm incorrect on the specifics).
                      Actually it was a discussion I had with someone else before the fight and if this was a DAZN frankie game I'd make a topic separately about it., and you know this. If you got a problem with the topics I post there's always the option to ignore them or not respond to the question I asked.

Comment

Working...
                      X