Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So why was Muhammad Ali so mean to Joe Frazier?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
    Zaroku breaks it down once again.
    I got family members who hate people who help them. I’m sure there is some physiology behind it, but Frazier is a class act.

Rocky Balboa has a statue, but, it took Bhop to pay outta his pocket to put up a statue for joe. That’s not cool the Philly didn’t have the sense to put one up for a real philly champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Zaroku View Post
      I got family members who hate people who help them. I’m sure there is some physiology behind it, but Frazier is a class act.

Rocky Balboa has a statue, but, it took Bhop to pay outta his pocket to put up a statue for joe. That’s not cool the Philly didn’t have the sense to put one up for a real philly champion.
      They had a statue for Joepa, Frazier at least deserves one!

Comment

Ali probably also thought the insults would anger Frazier enough to throw him off his game, but that anger only made Joe more focused in wanting to beat the hell out of Ali.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Ali probably also thought the insults would anger Frazier enough to throw him off his game, but that anger only made Joe more focused in wanting to beat the hell out of Ali.
          Ali has said that was the goal, and to sell the fight.
          But Ali was too cruel and went too far. And Frazier who had given or loaned Ali money and petitioned to have Ali reinstated never forgave Ali.

But there were numerous TV appearances together where they got along. Frazier even showed up on the "This is Your Life" show in the UK.

So maybe it's been overplayed in the media.

Comment

Cuz plot twist....Joe stole Cassius' bike as kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              Cuz plot twist....Joe stole Cassius' bike as kids.
              LMAO. I owe you green for this when I can

Honestly, I just think Ali's mouth got away from him and he didn't know how to slow it down. It went too far, and he didn't want to backtrack, so he just kept it going. I reckon he quite liked Joe.

Comment

Probably a small case of hyping the fight, more to the situation of Frazier may have intimidated Ali a bit.

Comment

People are imperfect. Ali probably through fear or insecurity felt he had to jump all over Frazier. Maybe he disliked the fact that Frazier was respected for just being who he was. He didn't have to trash talk his way into celebrity. Don't get me wrong I am a huge fan of Ali but people are flawed.

Comment

Ali was forcibly and fiercely breaking away from the old school, while Frazier belonged to the pro-Vietnam war generation, fairly or not. He was their guy, the no-nonsense lunchpail guy who kept his mouth shut about politics and culture. It was the big divide. Ali used it.

And he was promoting the fights. And he knew Frazier was damn good and wanted to get inside his head, as always.

Short answer: Ali was announcing a new kind of hero to himself and the world. Frazier was the perfect foil.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Beamish View Post
                      Ali was forcibly and fiercely breaking away from the old school, while Frazier belonged to the pro-Vietnam war generation, fairly or not. He was their guy, the no-nonsense lunchpail guy who kept his mouth shut about politics and culture. It was the big divide. Ali used it.

And he was promoting the fights. And he knew Frazier was damn good and wanted to get inside his head, as always.

Short answer: Ali was announcing a new kind of hero to himself and the world. Frazier was the perfect foil.
                      Well put.
                      But what gets some is that Frazier had it worse than Ali having to flee the South to save his life and Frazier had lent or given money to Ali and had worked to get Ali reinstated.

But I've noted above that the animosity may have been hyped to sell books and other things. They both showed up at events for the other that indicated it was overplayed.

Perhaps the matter should end with the praise each said of the other at the presser after their historic 3rd fight.

Frazier said "My man [Ali] fought a good fight." Ali said "He's the greatest fighter of all times next to me."

Comment

Working...
                      X