Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: How Fury-Wallin Was Influenced By ESPN's Intrusion

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it depends on what Tony Weeks told the corner. If Tony erred and said it was an accidental headbutt then Team Fury is working with incorrect information and I don't have a problem with ESPN interjecting. However if Tyson just assumed it was a headbutt without Weeks saying anything then maybe there is a problem. It's a slippery slope though, what else will commentators and networks be able allowed to tell corners?

Comment

Not an issue at all. The fighter should know if it was from a punch or a headbutt. It doesn't matter if the info is relayed from ESPN, the commission or the ref.

Comment

Originally posted by 4truth View Post
        Who, pray tell, is criticizing?? ESPN did exactly the right thing. A better question is, why did it fall to ESPN to do it? The referee gave Fury's corner incorrect information and that needed to be corrected asap.
        I think the issue is that the ESPN team overstepped their boundaries by informing the "house" fighter when that is not their job.
        Davison was going to stop the fight to prevent an already nasty cut from getting much worse.
        What is ESPN did is no different than a trainer coaching his fighter when the action is stopped to put a mouthpiece back.
        If the corner can't coach, how is it justified that the broadcast team can in essence give advice to a corner?
        Regardless, I don't expect a rematch next year.
        Wilder will target that cut which will not be healed by February......

Comment

Eyy, this is no worse than when a promoter has his lackeys hover over judges and speak with them mid fight. Thats shady to me, and we've seen that happen with little media backlash.

Comment

all you need to do in order to determine if this was right or wrong is ask yourself one question:

Had it been Wallin who got cut, would ESPN still have taken such a keen interest in what information the corner had?

I'm guessing they would have not.....

Comment

Must be great to be Tony Weeks.
              He just keeps fucing up with zero consequences.
              That's what I call job security!

Comment

That was the best part of the commentary.

Comment

The telecast should not be involved. You might as well put a tv in the corner and let them listen to the telecast.

Comment

Originally posted by REDEEMER View Post
                    I picked Wallin to win but the fighter needs to be informed ,I don't see any reason why any paid executive or whoever working the fight cannot inform them.
                    So would it be fine with you if a commentator took a peek at a judges scorecard and revealed the result to a trainer?

ESPN was WAY over the line. It is the job of ref to pass on commission or Doctor info, not the TV people.

Would it be ok for ESPN to tell one corner what the other corner was telling their fighter? Where does it end?

Comment

Not a fan of how ESPN handled the Davison corner interview, but it was good that across the board – to viewers and corners alike – the cut was emphasised as being caused from a punch.

I also liked how Fury bit down hard and started hurling combos like he fucking meant it. That's a side of him I've wanted to see for 10yrs, in amongst the herky-jerky style that he loves so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X