Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protien shakes whilst cutting.

Okay so I'm trying to lose weight
    I felt i wasn't getting enough protein in my diet
    and im roughly taking 2000 calories in and boxing training 3 days a week and jogging 2 of the others.

Does anyone recommend taking protein shakes? as sometimes i feel bad as i know im adding a little more calories

Right now Ive been only having shakes after the boxing (3 days a week) of 30g whey and 300+ ml milk roughly.

Cheers guys, Im kinda new to the details of dieting
    so if anyone could even give random advice id appreciate it.

EDIT: I spelled protein wrong.... I thought id get hundreds of replys on that :P
    Last edited by Steven0022; 04-12-2012, 10:06 AM.

Just use it as a low calorie meal replacement, and it's fine... Also, use water instead of milk.

Comment

Thanks man, I will do

Comment

I don't recommend shakes for cutting. Reason being, they digest very quickly. Un-processed proteins will digest slower (supplying slow, steady calories) and ultimately be a better idea for someone trying to lose weight.
        Shakes are best for post-workout recovery/supplementation.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
          I don't recommend shakes for cutting. Reason being, they digest very quickly. Un-processed proteins will digest slower (supplying slow, steady calories) and ultimately be a better idea for someone trying to lose weight.
          Shakes are best for post-workout recovery/supplementation.
          Ive definitely cut successfully on shakes.

Calorie deficit, thats all that matters.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
            Ive definitely cut successfully on shakes.

Calorie deficit, thats all that matters.
            What he's saying is protein from other sources, like meat, will help with hunger control. You can easily cut on shakes, it's more about the psychological factor.

To ts. Just calculate all the food and make a plan. No need to feel bad about anything as long as you know what your net balance in terms of nutrients are.

Comment

Originally posted by Harry Balls View Post
              What he's saying is protein from other sources, like meat, will help with hunger control. You can easily cut on shakes, it's more about the psychological factor.

To ts. Just calculate all the food and make a plan. No need to feel bad about anything as long as you know what your net balance in terms of nutrients are.
              Yea, that's what I was talking about. Someone starting out is usually going to have a much harder time stretching out a large scoop of protein powder (say 28 grams of protein) vs the equivalent, small, 4oz chicken breast.
              Is it going to be a huge difference? For some yes, some no.

Comment

Originally posted by Slightly Dazed View Post
                Yea, that's what I was talking about. Someone starting out is usually going to have a much harder time stretching out a large scoop of protein powder (say 28 grams of protein) vs the equivalent, small, 4oz chicken breast.
                Is it going to be a huge difference? For some yes, some no.

This. If you can take food over a shake, food is almost better every time.

A shake with just water does almost nothing to satiate your hunger and you'll end up eating in addition to your shake (sometimes). Now, that's not always a bad thing if you eat clean, but generally if your activities are very calorie taxing anyway, you can generally afford the extra protein shake (water of course). Just depends on what your body is telling you. Some can cut while taking shakes in addition to their diet, while others use it as a small replacement (which I don't necessarily agree with..replacing a whole meal with just a shake). My stomach can't seem to handle whey anymore, bloats me and makes me feel like crap..but if it works for you, by all means. Only way to know if it works is to try it, right? I was taking a hemp shake with oats and a banana in it as an early day meal replacement and that actually made me feel good. No bloat and it hit the spot and got me to my next meal. Different strokes for different folk. What ever improves your mood the most will usually keep you more motivated imo.
                Last edited by NearHypnos; 04-12-2012, 12:08 AM.

Comment

Shakes are probably one of the best things for cutting, its a low carb low fat source of protien. you will never find an equal source of protien for as few calories.

if you have no problem dealing with hunger, which you dont seem to mention though it seems every reply mentions it.....its much better then food.

if you do have a problem with hunger, i reccomend a high quality pure hoodia suppliment.

Comment

You dont need protein shakes. It's just another way to lose some money. If theres 20g of protein in a shake, just eat a piece of chicken or fish. I do a 60 minute run every day and dont take any kind of supplement apart from multivits. I just eat about 70 grams of protein when I get home from the gym.

Comment

Working...
                    X