Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deontay Wilder talking about David Price in 2012. Could this still happen?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deontay Wilder talking about David Price in 2012. Could this still happen?

Back in 2012 Deontay saw big stiff Davey as the biggest threat to him acheiving all that he dreamed of. Could this fight still end up happening? Would be one of the most hilarious/brutal KOs of all time no doubt.

Originally posted by The Sun
    DEONTAY WILDER hilariously predicted in 2012 that DAVID PRICE would be the biggest obstacle to his boxing dreams. Forget the likes of Tyson Fury, Anthony Joshua and legend Wladimir Klitschko, the American saw Liverpool slugger Price as "the greatest threat".

But that prediction has not looked even close to coming true.

After turning professional following the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, where he won a bronze medal, Price hasn't even managed to win a European title yet. And at the age of 35 with 24 wins and six losses on his record, he is miles away from being in a position to challenge Wilder for his WBC world title.

In an interview with Boxing News seven years ago, Wilder said: "My first impression of both Fury and Price was 'damn they are even taller than me. Price looks like the better boxer skill-wise but a fight with either of those guys would be fantastic.

"The division will come down to the four of us in the future. Someone is going to shake the boxing world upside down and from where I'm standing I am willing to do whatever is needed to become champion of the world."

At the time of the interview, Anthony Joshua was preparing for the London 2012 Olympics - where he went on to win heavyweight gold.

Next up for Wilder looks to be a rematch against Luis Ortiz followed by part II against Fury. Price, meanwhile, will take on fellow Brit Dave Allen, with defeat looking like it could end his career.

Wilder never got the chance to fight Klitschko with the Ukrainian retiring in 2017, while a scrap against deposed heavyweight champ Joshua looks further away than ever now.

But of course back in December the Bronze Bomber fought a contentious draw against the man he tipped to dominate alongside him at heavyweight, Tyson Fury. And now their rematch looks to be on after confirmation from promoter Frank Warren.

Wilder posted on his Twitter: "Well, as I always say I’m the realest Champion in the business and as I’ve mentioned before I must handle all my controversial fights ASAP. Luis Ortiz is first then Tyson Fury next. All Contracts have been signed already it’s officially on."

And the news was confirmed on June 1 by Warren, who revealed: "This is really exciting news for boxing fans. There will be more details to follow."

Take it easy, David Price was ESPN 2012 prospect of the year. I think Anthony Joshua is more likely to fight Price after Andy sends him back to the minor leagues.

Comment

"Price looks like the better boxer skill-wise but a fight with either of those guys would be fantastic."

Lol

Comment

How many times does Price have to lose by KO before he is out of the top heavyweight picture? Has he ever beaten a top 15 heavyweight and will he ever beat one? He isn't very good and his chin is terrible. Yes he can punch very hard and fight some but he is very flawed at the top level. He is just an average win some lose some boxer with big power and a glass jaw.

Comment

Price was a massive prospect at the time. Wilder wasn’t way off. Lots of guys were afraid of Price. That’s just hard to believe now.

During the Price/Thompson match the announcer was talking about Price conquering Vitali in the future...

Comment

Originally posted by boliodogs View Post
            How many times does Price have to lose by KO before he is out of the top heavyweight picture? Has he ever beaten a top 15 heavyweight and will he ever beat one? He isn't very good and his chin is terrible. Yes he can punch very hard and fight some but he is very flawed at the top level. He is just an average win some lose some boxer with big power and a glass jaw.
            He's been out of the top Heavyweight picture for some time

Comment

I would seriously fear for Price's life if he fought Wilder.

Comment

Working...
              X